bi-clicky? :-)

katx

Newly Enlightened
The switch on Sam's Element flashlights are neither forward nor reverse clickies. Then what are they?

On a perhaps unrelated note: among all my flashlights, which includes Fenix L2DCE, Pelican 7060, and SL 4AA PP, among others, I like the switches on the Sam's lights the best.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
The switch on Sam's Element flashlights are neither forward nor reverse clickies. Then what are they?

On a perhaps unrelated note: among all my flashlights, which includes Fenix L2DCE, Pelican 7060, and SL 4AA PP, among others, I like the switches on the Sam's lights the best.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :crackup:

katx

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about your Sam's Element, but mine has a reverse clicky. You have to push it all the way in and then let it go to turn on.

First of all mine does not have "all the way in" per se. The distance that you push in is minimal.

You push in....you hear a click and the light come on both at the same time. Then you release and you hear another click and nothing else happens. The light stays on. You push....you hear a click and the light goes off both at the same time. Then you release and you hear another click and the light stays off.

Also, I thought forward clickies have instant on and reverse clickies have instant off. Is that not true? I have no instant off or on.

Lastly, I noticed today that Sam's has three versions of this light. A 10X, 12X, and 30X. Mine is one of the 10X ones.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What you have is a switch requiring minimum vertical movement, not a different type altogether.

katx

Newly Enlightened
What you have definitely sounds like a reverse clicky type switch.

I thought reverse clicky is one that when going from off to on, it first clicks and then establishes contact. And from on to off, it first cuts the circuit and then clicks. If so then what I have is definitely not reverse clicky.

I also thought that both reverse and forward clickies are asymmetrical in their respective operations. That is, they behave dissimilarly when going from on to off and from off to on, though their dissimilarity are opposite each other. If so, again, I can assure you that my switch is perfectly symmetrical when going from off to on and from on to off.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a kind of pushbutton switch that has neither forward nor reverse clicky capability.

And that's quite common, too.

For example, Dig your Dolphin out of the boot of your car, and you'll find it has no momentary capability at all.

lumenal

Enlightened
Another light with this same type of switch is the older Dorcy Super 3 watt, the one with the side switch, not the newer one with the tail-switch.

There is no blinking capability with this type of switch ( bar clicking on and off full-cycle real fast). :shakehead

The Sams Element and this Dorcy are the same bodied light, and probably similar internal parts.

katx

Newly Enlightened
There is a kind of pushbutton switch that has neither forward nor reverse clicky capability.

And that's quite common, too.

For example, Dig your Dolphin out of the boot of your car, and you'll find it has no momentary capability at all.

Thanks for confirming my observation.

However, I thought I had a question only about forward and reverse capabilities of swtiches. Now I feel so inadequate. I have no idea what "Dolphin" or even "the boot of my car" are.

Should I also be joining a group of say "Cars for Dummies"?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I might have misunderstood the question.

A SPST pushbutton switch can theoretically have four types of momentary capability - forward, reverse, both and neither.

Maglites have forward, Chinese torches have reverse, Dolphins have neither, and I now understand you are referring to the "both" condition.

That's what you meant by "bi-clicky. I get it now.

By the way, the Eveready Dolphin is far and away Australia's biggest selling torch. By a long, long way. And has been for over 30 years. Big Maglites are a very, very expensive luxury item over here. It spins me out to think someone doesn't know what a Dolphin is. I accept that it is so overseas, but it's very easy for me to forget. Sorry.

katx

Newly Enlightened
I think I might have misunderstood the question.

A SPST pushbutton switch can theoretically have four types of momentary capability - forward, reverse, both and neither.

Maglites have forward, Chinese torches have reverse, Dolphins have neither, and I now understand you are referring to the "both" condition.

That's what you meant by "bi-clicky. I get it now.

By the way, the Eveready Dolphin is far and away Australia's biggest selling torch. By a long, long way. And has been for over 30 years. Big Maglites are a very, very expensive luxury item over here. It spins me out to think someone doesn't know what a Dolphin is. I accept that it is so overseas, but it's very easy for me to forget. Sorry.

Thanks. I now have a much better understanding.