Built My First Streamlight Stinger Dropin

Gene43

Enlightened
Well I finally broke down and bought a Stinger. I got the HP model as the hole in the back of the reflector is larger diameter than that on the standard reflector. I cut up one of my Mag heatsinks mounted a Lumileds Rebel 100 and a driver on it and after much trial and error, fired it up. The small size of the Rebel makes it ideal for this.

Its driven at 1000ma and is just as bright as one of the Mag dropins. It easily lights objects at 800 feet.

Does anyone know the rear hole diameter on the standard head. I have to order one as I can't get it locally. I think with a bit of work I may be able to adapt the tiny rebel for it. I am in the process designing heatsinks and boards for this application.

Gene Malkoff

phosphor

Enlightened
Gene, what do with your drop-ins is remarkable. With one installed, it is possible to give a whole new "personality" to a flashlight !

-regards

Gene43

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. I may try to come up for more Streamlight dropins after this. The main reason I went for this one was at the request of local law enforcement folks.

Gene

houtex

Enlightened
I for one who has carried a streamlight for years would love a dropin replacement.Now if you could figure out an easy replacement for the lens.They scratch and melt so easily.

LiteFan

Enlightened
Great Idea Gene, hopefully you get the info for the standard stinger.

weed099

Newly Enlightened
I would love a brighter LED upgrade for my Stinger HP. I have been trying to decide on a replacement for it for duty use. I have been wanting something brighter but can't make up my mind. This could solve that problem.

so241

Newly Enlightened
Hey Gene, I read somewhere at one time that the bulb diameter for the stinger is 3/16 of an inch. That was some time ago. Sound right? Not sure if that helps or not. Doesn't look like the hole is much bigger.:thinking:

noleincol

Newly Enlightened
Gene, I have been quite pleased with my D drop-in I use for perimeter illumination at DOC. As I own a Stinger HP, your newest drop-in would be of great use inside the fence (if taken by inmates it makes a less usable weapon with which to be beaten). Would it be possible to use Cree Q5 for longer run times without the heat issues inherent with Rebel? Thanks again for your innovative thinking and products. Have a good day.

Gene43

Enlightened
The problem is one of size. The small size of the Rebel is what makes this a possibility. I have run the protoype Rebel dropin for 3 hrs continuous without heat issues.

lumenal

Enlightened
Wow, I had this crazy dream.

I opened up CPF and there was a thread titled:

Just Built My First C-sized Mag Dropin.

I wonder if this will only be a dream. Gene? :thinking: :).

Bort

Newly Enlightened
Gene,
The hole at the back of the reflector on my Stinger measures .230" without the o ring. With the o ring it measures .193". The bulb measures .172". I would be interested in the drop in when you get one developed.

Gene43

Enlightened
Thanks Bort, very useful information.Luminal, I am taking delivery on machined Mag C and D sized heatsinks for my dropins this week.

Samuel

Enlightened
Hi Gene, will your new drop-in also work with the Ultrastinger? If so, how would the output (throw, flood, and overall) and runtime compare with a stock US incandescent? Thanks...

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinger
Ultrastinger
Stinger HP
SL20

These are going to be the most popular with Law Enforcement.

Gene43

Enlightened
I have built a few prototypes. However, finalizing the design of the M60 has monopolized the majority of my free time. Hopefully I will have more time to devote to the Stingers in the near future.

Thanks, Gene

Wolf

Newly Enlightened
I'm willing to bet that there are some (a lot?) of us out here that would just be happy with a premade base for a starting point to mod their incan stinger, least I know I would be :D