Surefire KL4 & KL5

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Love my L4. Bought an E2e at a B&M store yesterday. Went to another one that same day. They have KL4 and KL5 heads. The KL4 was listed at $125. :sick2:

The E2e I bought was less! (I don't think I'll be buying the heads from that store).

Still, a spare KL4 head would be nice. Especially since I have both an E2d and an E2e. Also got to check out an L5 at the place where I bought my E2e. The head is huge, compared to the body. Been thinking of getting the KL5 head and putting it on a 9P or D3.

Would such a set up be useful, or would it just be better to put an aftermarket Cree into the 9P or D3?

Can anyone tell me what's a good price for a KL4 and a KL5?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hell, for a bit more; I can just get another L4.
That seems to be SureFire's aim - to sell complete flashlights. The rational appears to be that a box of spare bezels unused is not as useful as a box of spare bezels as part of whole flashlights (in other words - a box of spare flashlights).

Al

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That seems to be SureFire's aim - to sell complete flashlights. The rational appears to be that a box of spare bezels unused is not as useful as a box of spare bezels as part of whole flashlights (in other words - a box of spare flashlights).

Al

Sadly, I can find no flaw in your logic.
Ironically, the B&M store that had KL4s for $125 is known for jacking up prices on most of their merchandise.

tussery

Enlightened
Sadly, I can find no flaw in your logic.
Ironically, the B&M store that had KL4s for $125 is known for jacking up prices on most of their merchandise.
Well from what I have heard from my local Surefire dealer. Surefire really frowns upon you either marking up or discounting their prices. And from what they said if you don't comply, they may blacklist you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well from what I have heard from my local Surefire dealer. Surefire really frowns upon you either marking up or discounting their prices. And from what they said if you don't comply, they may blacklist you.

I've known about the part concerning offering discounts. Not the part about jacking up prices as something that's frowned upon. In that case, I know at least one Authorized Dealer who ignores that policy.

He wanted $130 for an E2e. I went to another B&M store for it.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A used KL4 shouldn't cost you much more than $100.00 and have been had for 1/2 of that depending on condition.
I have bought brand new units for $120.00

The KL5 is a very substiantail head. The cost a bit more if I recall.

IMHO the best deals on KL4's are on used heads.

While I understand size 15's logic. But.. Anyway you look at it SureFire apparently made more KL4's than Complete L4 flashlights.
So if thy were focusing on complete flashlights why did they sell the heads seperatly?

I like the KL4. I like the kl5 too.
The KL4 is a very well made peice of flashlight.
I like good peices of flashlight.
Yaesumofo

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are a lot of E2e's to convert to L4's and E2L's. But perhaps SureFire ain't that concerned about folk converting between LED models now that they've been released for some time?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clearly the kl4 was designed as an LED upgrade module.
I seem to remember a time when LED flashlights (commercially manufactured) were not too common. Especially flashlights which used the LUX V emitter.

I remember when the L4 was THE LED flashlight to own.
Now there are many other "to own" flashlights.
IMHO The KL4 is a true classic. This is a head which has really proven it's worth over some time.
I wonder if we will remember some of the current favorites which are so popular in a years time? Somehow I doubt it.
Yaesumofo

There are a lot of E2e's to convert to L4's and E2L's. But perhaps SureFire ain't that concerned about folk converting between LED models now that they've been released for some time?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were questions raised in another thread about the service life of the Lux V emitter in the KL4. What's the skinny on this? Certainly my KL4 runs very hot if used for more than a minute or two, which as a general matter is not great for electronic components (have no idea how it affects an LED).