Please explain the differences among the new generation of high flux LEDs

MY

Enlightened
I have been gone from the board for a while and now I find that all my Luxeon I, III & Vs are obsolete. It appears that everything has switched to Crees, and now Seoul and Rebels. What are the differences among the Seoul, Cree, and Rebel LEDs in terms of efficiency, output, tint, etc. Is there a chart showing the various bin levels? When it was only the Luxeon, it was easy to understanding the various bins. Is the bin designations pretty accurate now. The old Luxes were crap shots when it came to binning. Sorry if this has been already discussed.

Regards.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Here are two of my posts, I hope they help answer some of your questions
This thread might help comparing the newer LEDs.

Basically, the Cree XR-E P4(3W is just the current it might be running at in a light) have double the efficiency of a Luxeon I, III, V, and K2 LED. The Q2-Q5 bins are even more efficient. A single Cree P4 should output about 180 lumen at 1 amp and around 3.4-3.8v, a single Q5 should output around 230 lumen at the same current. The Cree Q5 should be the brightest consumer single die LED available at this time(there are brighter ones but they aren't for sale). The Cree has a narrower emitting pattern then the Luxeon. Could be hard to solder and requires clipping the corners or removing the surface mount parts to prevent shorting if you are using the bare emitter.

The Seoul P4 uses that same die as the Cree and has similar efficiency. It has a similar emitting pattern to the Luxeon and is used by some to replace their Luxeon LEDs. It has around 200 lumen at 1 amp and 3.5-3.8v. The Seoul has phosphor problems with temperature and it also has a positive slug which might require isolation to prevent shorts with the bare emitter..

The Edison Opto is another LED that uses the same die as the Cree and has similar performance. IIRC, it has the exact emitting pattern of a Luxeon but will leave a yellow ring around the hotspot if used with a reflector.

The Luxeon Rebel is a surface mounted LED 1/4 the size of the Cree, though it has the same die size. There are many different bins of Rebels with the Rebel 100 being the brightest. If the Rebel 100 die and phosphor was used in a 4 die LED like the Luxeon V, you should easily get 800 lumen out of the LED at 1 amp.

I hope that I made sense.
Usually, the bin of the LED refers to the efficiency of the LED. Here is a explanation of Luxeon's bin code. A Cree P4(probably the most common Cree XR-E LED) should be equivalent to a higher end W bin, similar to a W bin Luxeon V but at about half the voltage and a smaller die size. A Cree Q2-Q5 should easily be in the X bin if they were using Luxeon's bin codes.

The Cree Q4 evaluation might be a good read if you want to understand how some of the newer LEDs react to different currents.

The White LED Lumen testing thread tests LEDs and their Vf, amperage and lumens at a current.

The links Derek Dean(Data SheetBinning and Labeling) posted are also helpful with understanding Cree's bin code.

Welcome Back :)!!!

Last edited: