Energizer lithium batteries, voltage, Fenix

Thomas-N

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm Thomas from Germany and I've been reading in this forum for a year or two now, being astonished about the concentrated knowledge here, again and again. Now I registered because I also have a question which some of you might answer.
I'm using a Fenix L2P and a L1P. I want to use Energizer lithium batteries in AA size in them, but I've read that they have an initial voltage of 1,7 V.
Does anyone know if this could be a problem for the regulation circuit in the Fenix lamps?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Gunner12

Flashaholic
This should not be a problem with the Fenix lights. Some have placed 3.7v 14500 battrey batteries in their L1P and have it still work(Not recommended). Their L1D-CE/L2D-CE/P2D-CE head has an input up to 3.2v if you want light levels and up to 4.2v for direct drive.

Welcome to the interactive side of CPF!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Thomas, welcome to CPF::D

Energizer Lithium primaries have a no-load voltage that is just 13% more than a regular alkaline. No flashlight circuit is so weak that it can not take 13% more, also because with the light on this voltage falls rapidly to 1.5 V. I use them regularly in my AA and AAA Fenixes.

paulr

Flashaholic
They will be fine in the L1P. With the L2P the low mode won't be all that low because of the higher voltage. That said, they are not really cost effective in those lights. NiMH cells will run the light almost as long, and then you can recharge them instead of buying new ones.

Thomas-N

Newly Enlightened
That said, they are not really cost effective in those lights. NiMH cells will run the light almost as long, and then you can recharge them instead of buying new ones.

Yes, that's right.
I'm normally using the L1P as a fallback with an Energizer Lithium and the L2P with two NiMH, but sometimes the L2P stays unused for two weeks or more. The rechargeables are empty then :scowl:
So at the moment - when I'm using the L2P only sometimes - I'll switch to Lithiums.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Yes, that's right.
I'm normally using the L1P as a fallback with an Energizer Lithium and the L2P with two NiMH, but sometimes the L2P stays unused for two weeks or more. The rechargeables are empty then :scowl:
So at the moment - when I'm using the L2P only sometimes - I'll switch to Lithiums.

Thomas: have you tried the Sanyo Eneloop NiMh batteries? They hold almost a full charge up to a year after charging. They definitely make old-style NiMh batteries obsolete.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
Thomas: have you tried the Sanyo Eneloop NiMh batteries? They hold almost a full charge up to a year after charging. They definitely make old-style NiMh batteries obsolete.
maybe but other ni-mh batteries have more mAh than Eneloops

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Guess you've never tried those crappy Energizer 2500mah batteries. Mine are almost dead after 1 week off the charger. I've thrown them all away and use Eneloops exclusively.

speederino

Enlightened
+1. There were some batches of 2500mah Energizer NiMH's that were REALLY bad. I'm lucky enough to have 8 of them.:( Nice to have some NiMH's around to abuse though. :D