Want Outlook links to open in IE

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, who wants to be my hero today?

Here's the deal - I'm on a Win2k laptop that was originally set up to only run Netscape. It must still be able to run Netscape manually, but I'd like for links in Outlook Express messages to open in IE. I've gone into "folder options" and switched everything that was associated with Netscape over to IE, but there is still no difference. I clicked the checkbox to have IE check to see if it is my default browser (thought it has still not asked me the question after many reboots). What else did I miss?

Thanks!

Greta

Flashaholic
CRAP! I used to have this problem with ICQ and I did fix it somehow... let me think. It has to do with IE itself, I do remember that... I think.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yup. I just searched for a random html file and double clicked it from within Windows Explorer. IE came up to display it. IE also displays links from within IE of course. Just seems to be Outlook Express giving me issues.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you open IE and go into Options and then Programs is Outlook the associated Mail program?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it be that it is Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer that is the culprit?

The WE registered file associations to "Application used to perform action" for Gopher,FTP,HTP and HTPw/P may need to be retyped as long file names from

c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe

-to-

c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe

Here is a link that describes this possible fix much more clearly than I can:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177054

It is the last fix on the page.

Hope this works.

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks! I found that page, and tried it all. The problem is that I don't have "Gopher,FTP,HTP and HTPw/P" file associations listed in my Folder Options. Suppose something is missing? Can I add them. Not a clue.

I did change the HTTP one.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know.

Another quick Google search did not net a recognizable fix for that. I say "recognizable" because it may be staring right at me.

We may need a real CPF SE for this.

I'll check in later tonight to see if you got your issue is resolved. If not, I'll ask around for a solution on Saturday.

Tomas

Banned
Sorry, I don't do Windows.

Just in case it might help to generate ideas, though, here's how I set it on my system:

1) Open System Preferences window.
2) Select Internet.
3) Select Web.
4) Choose your Default Browser from the list.
5) Close the window.

Good luck!

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Darell

Flashaholic
Yeah, yeah... I knew I'd be hearing from the anti-Windows crowd. But it was a risk I was willing to take. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For sure I need my default browser set to IE, and for sure I've done everything that I know of to set it that way. What is curious is that IE doesn't ask me if I would like to make it my default even though I have the appropriate check-box checked. Like with most stuff, this should be a no-brainer. grrr.

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, every time I go to test my latest "fix" Netscape pops right open, and IT never asks if I want it to be my default either - though it is set to ask the same thing. Hmm. Nobody seems to want to ask me the right question...

Unfortunately, the hero position is still open...

Greta

Flashaholic
Darell,

Try this. Open Outlook Express. Click on Tools, Options... and then the Connections Tab.

See what it says under the Internet Connection Settings. Mine says "Outlook Express shares your Internet Conection settings with Internet Explorer." Then there is a button that says "Change". That takes me to my settings for IE... where I would make IE my default if it weren't already.

See what all that says and does for you. It's worth a shot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Tell me what you think of this: I've cruised through that menu before, and here's the suspicious part that may just be the culprit: When I click "change" and head over to the IE settings, the programs tab shows that my HTML editor is Netscape. The pulldown only lets me choose between Netscape and Notepad, so I'm not sure what I can do with that.

The more I think about this, the more I think we're onto something here. But how can I change the HTML editor to IE if it isn't a pull-down option, I wonder...

Greta

Flashaholic
Get Netscape out of your settings... no matter where it is. And how anyone can use Netscape as an html editor is beyond me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ... You definately need it to be Notepad!!

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you right click an HTML file and select Edit, which program comes up?
If it is Netscape then you can go into Windows Explorer -- Tools -- Options -- File Types and change it there.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yeah, good point about the editor... It is gone.

And in the meantime - I just restarted IE for about the 20th time since beginning this project, and LOOK AT THAT! It finally asked me if I wanted it to be my default. Said yes, and BAM. Works now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Everybody who took the time to pitch in here is a hero. Thanks guys.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yeah, the results are great, but it always bugs me when something gets fixed without leaving me with a clue as to what the hell fixed it.

I know I should be thrilled, but I'd still like to be sitting here holding the pulsating tumor in my hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif