New 30W HID hand lantern (Not N30)

Beer

Enlightened
Let me say this first: "This IS a hay look at this at DX thread" However with the realitive rareity of HID hand lights on the market I'm hoping the mods let this one slide.

I do not know if anyone has seen this yet I found it kind or squirrled away on DX's site.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4030

Looks to be a 30W HID hand lantern with a floresant area light. (and small too, only 9 inches long - 7.75lbs)

I looks like it may be pretty cool, although I am curious to see a beam shot with that strange textured reflector.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks more like it is being marketed as a lesser expensive alternative to the Streamlight Lightbox.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=128

It looks like it is designed to be a portable stationary HID flood light.
At 8 lb it is definitely more like an AI then a N30.

The N30 is only 3 lb 8oz.
The N30 is the lightest 30+ watt HID on the market right now.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Beer

Enlightened
This looks more like it is being marketed as a lesser expensive alternative to the Streamlight Lightbox.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=128

It looks like it is designed to be a portable stationary HID flood light.
At 8 lb it is definitely more like an AI then a N30.

The N30 is only 3 lb 8oz.
The N30 is the lightest 30+ watt HID on the market right now.

Take Care,

3lbs 8oz huh? hmmm............

May change my mind on getting a AI in favor of a N30. I already have one giant semi portable HID. Might be nice to have one I'd acctually carry with me places.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The weight spec is more in line with the Horrible Freight HID, which uses a super-duper over-heavy reflector and window. (The reflector and window weigh nearly as much as the battery, which is a 7 AH SLA.) There's probably also an automotive ballast, further stacking up the weight.

For $155 I think Amondotech would be the better place to shop.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
3lbs 8oz huh? hmmm............

May change my mind on getting a AI in favor of a N30. I already have one giant semi portable HID. Might be nice to have one I'd acctually carry with me places.

I have both the AI and the N30, but the N30 is just so much more practical to use. While the AI does throw farther, the N30 is no slouch in that department and puts out more light overall (hotspot + corona + spill). I use my N30's a lot for walking on my dark street or in my yard when I want a good amount of light in a very wide area. You just have to see the spill in person to understand how wide, even, and useable it is for near field illumination. At the same time it has no trouble illuminatiing object 300+ yards away.

Take Care,

Last edited:

Cigarman

Enlightened
The N30 really does do the trick for more than you would originally think. I also take mine walking at night when its later in the evening and pretty dark. Just because I'm a sadist tho, I'm converting my monster Thor X Colossus to an HID for a neato keen project. Should prove interesting. :D