Anyone else disappointed w G2L?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I am. It doesnt appear to be anywhere near 80 lumens and mine is very blue. Has anyone got the module apart and saw if its easy to swap the emitter? Im on my phone typing this so I apologize if this question has been answered already cuz I cant see the other threads. Thanks.

weed099

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one up and didn't think it was all that bad. I plan on trying out a CREE replacement. A friend has the Inova T4 which claims 125 lumens. They appeared to have the same output and throw. The G2L doesn't have too much throw, but I wasn't expecting it too.

SunStar

Enlightened
I'm kind of fond of mine.

As to the 80 lumen rating... I did a side by side comparison outdoors at various targets with the 6PL, K2 Kroma and U2. Output of my P60L seems to be right in the middle of the Kroma high beam (50 lumens) and the U2 high beam (100 lumens). I was actually impressed that the SF rating was that consistent.

I should preface my comments with the fact that my comparison was done while powering the P60L with (2) 17500's. I haven't done any comparisons of Li-ion and primaries but I would not expect that much difference between the two.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i played with one at a gunshow today, compared it to my PD-s and its seemed a tad brighter so i would put it somewhere in the 90ish lumen range. or its just a tighter beam since the larger reflector. either way i like it and think its gonna make a great caving light.

flash_bang

Enlightened
If I order a 6PL from Optics HQ and get one with a tint I'm not happy with, can I send it to Surefire, or am I pretty much stuck with what I have?

Thanks,
Flash

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
The G2L only draws 350mA @ 6v from the battery, so it's going to have a good long runtime. I believe the 80 lumen rating to be correct.

if its pulling 350ma then its not 80 lumens, my PD-S drives at 525ma for 80 lumens so the g2l should be somewhere around 55lumens, but it looks brighter than my pd-s so i think its being driven harder than that.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
If I order a 6PL from Optics HQ and get one with a tint I'm not happy with, can I send it to Surefire, or am I pretty much stuck with what I have?

Thanks,
Flash

Well. You could return it (or "exchange" it) but you run the risk of getting one with a worse tint that you've got now. I got my hands on one for a day and really like it. No disappointment at all. If you were expecting a 150 Lumen superlight then it would be a disappointment but if you read the product page then it shouldn't be a disappointment. I also don't think its that bad for 65.00.

BBL

Enlightened
if its pulling 350ma then its not 80 lumens, my PD-S drives at 525ma for 80 lumens so the g2l should be somewhere around 55lumens, but it looks brighter than my pd-s so i think its being driven harder than that.
He was talking about current from the battery, not forward current. 350mA at 6V would roughly be aroung 500mA forward.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Personally I couldn't be happier with my G2L. I was expecting 80 lumens, and when compared with my other Surefires it puts out about that.

It is possible you got a dud, to state the obvious that you've probably already tried: clean the threads, try another new set of batteries etc. If that doesn't work, and you're still not happy: Warranty time. If the output/tint is really that bad, I wouldn't worry about getting it repaired, or replaced by one with a worse tint :)

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Personally I couldn't be happier with my G2L. I was expecting 80 lumens, and when compared with my other Surefires it puts out about that.

It is possible you got a dud, to state the obvious that you've probably already tried: clean the threads, try another new set of batteries etc. If that doesn't work, and you're still not happy: Warranty time. If the output/tint is really that bad, I wouldn't worry about getting it repaired, or replaced by one with a worse tint :)

This is exactly what I would have said.

Very happy with mine.:grin2:

Olaf

Banned
80 Lumens :thumbsdow What is surefire doing clearing out the old stock of low grade leds? A quick browse through Deal Extreme's site will reveal a pleathoria of lights with twice the brightness twice the run time and at half the price.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
80 Lumens :thumbsdow What is surefire doing clearing out the old stock of low grade leds? A quick browse through Deal Extreme's site will reveal a pleathoria of lights with twice the brightness twice the run time and at half the price.

And those lumen ratings from sites like DX are never inflated...

Roger

SunStar

Enlightened
So the P60L runs reliable with 2x li-ion? That would be great.
It runs real nice on 17500's and I've not seen it step down in output due to heat either. Not saying it won't - I just think the A19 may afford a little extra heat transfer.

NickDrak

Enlightened

Heres the deal with Surefire's output ratings.... They are an accurate rating of how many lumens actually come out of the front of their lights. In other words, if Surefire rates the G2L at 80 lumens, then you are getting 80 lumens out of the front on the light, and probably closer to 90 lumens.

The output ratings quoted on DX's website are undoubtedly rated at the emitter, which is done by the manufacturer of the emitter before it is placed anywhere near a flashlight, and you are probably getting about half of that claimed lumen output actually coming out of the front of the light it is installed in.

Twice the G2L's 12 hour runtime?:crackup: I dont think so.

Half the price? Buy cheap, Buy twice (or more likely 5 or 6 more cheap Chinese lights) In the mean-time the Surefire will still be runnin' strong!

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, how quick people forget that yea, it's ONLY 80 lumens but runs pretty much damn forever...
It's a real nice piece and currently, I wanna piece together a Z2LD somehow (6PD's bezel and tail cap, Z2 body and the P60L)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

No one would ever lie about specs or inflate it, ever. :rolleyes:

as a matter of fact SF is known for taking all the good LEDs out of the market to put in their lights. but hey, the ads on DX looks more extreme, no?

actually I'm backing out of this room slowly as we speak before this thread turns into another "SF sucks" thread like the way so many others have morphed .

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not inflate Surefire's specs as well:

"And it continues producing useful light levels for an impressive 12 hours on a single set of batteries."

MAX is claimed to be 80 lumens, but they don't say for how long you will get 80 lumens. It could be the first 5-10 minutes, first hour, first 4 hours, etc. It says it will produce useful light for 12 hours. My P3D Fenix will produce useful light for around 70 hours on 2xCR123a's.

As for cheap DX lights, sure, many of them will put out more than 80 lumens of light (out the front). However, many lack in the regulation department, most aren't near Surefire quality, etc, but if all you want is a lot of lumens, DX offers low cost solutions. Obviously if Surefire is using a Cree P4 or Q2 LED and driving at 350-500mA, or whatever, and some cheap DX light has the same Cree P4 or Q2 but is driving it at 750-1200mA, of course it will be brighter.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea ..and they are always the very best quality, oh and real Lifetime warranties. Wow!! Oh Oh and pedalextreme is the best!! If you want to buy POS Asian made low ball Crap.
Dslextreme is the VERY LAST place I would send my worst enemy to buy flashlights.

So very sorry to drive this off into the off world area.
The GL2 is a fine light. It is clearly surefire's effort to move G2 and 6P users into LED users. There is little or no retraining needed (If used by Police officers on duty). Runtime is much better everything is better and the real kicker is you never have to buy another hotwire globe for the G2 or 6P again. I will not miss having to buy those $20.00 "expendable" lamps which break at every opportunity (especially is on and dropped) The G2L will not suffer these issues. The tint? Unless you can go to a shop and cherry pick the light there is always the chance that you get a "bad" tint.
Hell Most of you guys have never seen a "bad" Tint. Not when compared to some of the early emitters we had to wade through to find a single decent one. Today the worst tinted emitter is better than most of the 'Best" ones we are able to use way back when... You guys are lucky.
Yaesumofo

And those lumen ratings from sites like DX are never inflated...

Roger