Rebel Fenix vs Cree Fenix

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
the single aaa goes from 50 lumens to 60.
the single aa goes from 90 to 110 (i made the single aa numbers up based off a loose memory and an educated guess to try and give you a helpful reference)
the 2aa model goes from 135 to 170 lumens on max!

someone fix or confirm that middle number for me.
are the reflectors now orange peel too for more flood?

ginaz

Enlightened
they are very similar. seems that most are reporting a warmer tint to the rebel which may or may not be your cup of tea. output is being reported in favor of the rebel by a slim margin with same runtime. the rebel also seems to give a nicer beam, although i believe they have addressed the ringyness of the cree.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, the 1xAA (L1D CE) max lumen output quoted by the manufacturer was 90. (90 on turbo mode, 80 max on non-turbo mode).

I believe the new lights do have an OP reflector.

One thing - the L0D Rebel sold in the US uses only the Rebel 80, and so indeed only has a 60 max lumen output (vs. the 50 max lumen output in the CREE version).

There is an L0D Rebel 100 sold in Japan, but I have not seen any lumen output figures. I believe that since the runtimes for the Rebel 100 and the Rebel 80 versions of the L0D are given as being the same, all of the improvement must go into the lumen output.

So, if you figure 20%-25% improvement in lumen output, the L0D Rebel 100 might have a max lumen output of 72-75 lumens.

jmoney16

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between orange peel reflector and smooth?

Also between reflector and optics?

Terminology I've seen in posts around here...

bp044

Enlightened
Where can I buy a LOD with Rebel 100 in the U.S. ? Is there another manufacturer sell a single AAA light using the Rebel 100 ?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the difference between orange peel reflector and smooth?

Also between reflector and optics?

Terminology I've seen in posts around here...

Orange peel reflectors tend to smooth out artifacts in a beam but it will tend to make the beam a bit more of a flood with a little less 'throw'. Smooth reflectors produce more throw and were good for certain types of LED's but the newer LED's have had some isssues for 'white wall hunters' with rings and artifacts so OP is a good choice on a Cree or Rebel if you want things very smooth. Optics were mostly used in the first Luxeon lights like the Arc LS and some others. The usually have less throw and tend to smooth out a beam also. There are many styles of optics including Aspheric which is more of a lens and it produces a very tight long throwing beam. Lots of info around here on all this if you search but that's a lot of it in a nutshell.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when running on the same current, there will barely be a difference between Rebel or Cree
(and the AA models run on the same current of some 750mA --> where non of the leds will give the figures from the datasheet, for a led running on 1 A)

See optics and reflectors here:

arht0z4eejpkuv7n8.jpg

imho ormal optics are not good, only big aspherical make a tight focus (but the resulting beam is awful and who wants a thrower from a led, they are still too weak for that)