Energizer 80 lumen 2 pack at Sams Club

Marduke

Flashaholic
While at Sams Club today, I saw this two-pack of Energizer LED flashlights. They are 2AA each, focusable, and claim 80 lumen. It was $29.88 for both of them. They appeared to be very stoutly built aluminum with a clicky tailcap. They are roughly the same size and shape of a MiniMag, but look to be built a little heftier. They look like they could make the perfect glovebox light. Has anyone bought one of these? If so, could you do a mini-review for me (us)? A runtime chart would be very much appreciated.

Pic link...

Last edited by a moderator:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's started...the masses will all have access to cheap pocket rockets...soon yesterday's high end lights will be blown away by tomorrow's mass market lights...

what will us flashaholics do?

i guess buy new ones!

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I think LEDMuseum did a review on these flashlights and it appeared to have what looked like a Cree LED in it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok, sorry for this being the third post about this 2-pack, but the search function was ill when I orginally posted the thread. However, in either of the two older threads, there are really only 2 posts dealing with these particular lights. The LED Museum review was helpful, but has anyone done a runtime graph?

paulr

Flashaholic
Craig measured the current draw at 295 mA, or maybe 0.9W tops from two AA's (probably less given voltage sag). I doubt they're using the top exotic Cree bins, and there will be some losses in the boost converter, so overall the 80 lumen figure sounds about right if it means 40 lumens per light.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig measured the current draw at 295 mA, or maybe 0.9W tops from two AA's (probably less given voltage sag). I doubt they're using the top exotic Cree bins, and there will be some losses in the boost converter, so overall the 80 lumen figure sounds about right if it means 40 lumens per light.

Maybe not the top bins but you've got to give these guys credit. ROV and Energizer are throwing down the glove. There's a certain company that better realize soon that people are going to stop paying for an under-driven 3 watt Lux with all these choices becoming available.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, I decided to pick up a pack tonight and I must say, I'm impressed! It definitely uses a Cree LED. Judging by the 295mA current draw, the Energizer's 80 lumen claim, I would guess that they are using a P4 bin. I would venture a guess of runtime of 6-10 hours, but that's pure speculation. I like the soft, tactical momentary clickie. The threads are coarser and better machined than most of what you find on other cheap Chinese lights, which means they are less likely to tear up and are less prone to cross-threading. It came with the threads and o-ring well lubed. The head and tailcap have a nice diamond knurl, but it still nicely slides into a Mag style open top pouch without hanging up. The body is slightly fatter than a MiniMag, and the Energizer is about 0.25in longer. The body is also not completely round, but has four flat facets along the side. The one thing that surprised me is the difference in tint between the two lights in the package. One is so warm that it looks like an incan, while the other is quite cool in tint. Beam pattern leaves something to be desired for, but you have the ability to focus the light how you choose to get rid of most of the artifacts. It's fine if you do more than go white wall hunting. Plastic lens and plastic reflector cup, but do you expect anything else for this price? For you modders out there, this would be a good host. The LED and driver unit screws right out, and the board is held in by 2 philips screws. It doesn't get much easier than that. Although it's not clear at first, the bezel unscrews and gives access to replace the lens and reflector if so desired. Another o-ring seals the bezel. This would be an interesting light to stipple the reflector. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

ID: ML2AAE-2

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
"Marduke" Nice and quick review and let me be the first to thank you!!

But we need more detailed pictures, beam shots and such. Also how does this compare to other well liked led's such as mag 3 aa led, propoly 4 aa lux etc.....

Would you be returning these since the beam is not to you liking?

Regards.
Noob

Marduke

Flashaholic
LED Museum had a few beamshots, as well as the unit partially disassembled, so I didn't bother. It compares favorably to my Ultrafire C3, but with a smoother transition away from the hotspot. Despite the beam artifacts from having a smooth reflector, this makes the beam more usable IMO. I'm not (yet) a beam tint or artifact snob, so I will keeping these lights.

xiaowenzu

Banned
80 Lumens OUT THE FRONT! cool! :Dand at a reasonable price too! U.S.A Energizer OI! :popcorn::popcorn: I'm going to stick in some Eneloops as soon as I get my hands on these twistys. heeeeeee :D

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many people have been able to find these? I checked on the Samsclub website and they are a "in store only" item, so it can't be shipped. Would anyone be willing to pick some up and sell them for the cost+shipping?

Marduke

Flashaholic
How many people have been able to find these? I checked on the Samsclub website and they are a "in store only" item, so it can't be shipped. Would anyone be willing to pick some up and sell them for the cost+shipping?

Unless you want to pay for a 1.5ft x 1.5ft package ($$), they would have to be opened and sent in a padded envelope for reasonable shipping cost. FYI

Schuey2002

Enlightened
It would be nice to find something like these at Sam's regular Walmarts stores. That was probably wishful thinking on my part... :mecry:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok, I couldn't resist doing just a tiny little mod....

There are three small circumferential grooves just below the tailcap. I took some small GITD o-rings, stretched them to be thinner and fit in these grooves and sealed them in with a light coat of epoxy. It looks really sharp.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to two Sam's stores here in Raleigh NC and neither one had these lights. I had a printout of the webpage on me, and they could not even find the flashlights in their computer. They did have a two pack of 3 watt Luxeon lights, but they ran on 3 AAA batteries and looked like Dorcy's. What is the deal with these things? :thinking: I can not even find them on Energizers web page. I would really like to buy them! The Sams web page does not even mention the ones they were stocking, and apparently they will not send them to me either! I am starting to hate brick and mortar stores. Maybe buying online is the only way to go!

In what area of the country have all of you found these?? Ant help would be appreciated!

Mike