Mod and/or upgrade ideas for Energizer 1W Rechargeable LED flashlight?

Flashlike

Enlightened
I hope this isn't considered a "double post", but I posted this in the LED flashlight section and received no response.
I just purchased one of the Eveready Energizer 1-watt rechargeable LED flashlights at Target. It was on clearance for $19.98 (originally $39.99).
OK, it's not my "pride and joy" flashlight and I haven't really had time yet to fully test it out, but I thought for that price I'd give it a whirl.
Has anyone tried to upgrade the LED and/or battery in this light? Maybe I would be better off to just leave it alone, but I'm tempted to experiment with this one (unless the LED is too "tamper-proof", that is).
The rechargeable battery measures about 17mm diameter by 85mm in length and is a "1/2A 1000mAh 3.6V NiMH".
Ideas, anyone?

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one of these lights up this afternoon. I am not much of a moder but in a bit of boredom I found that you can pull the 3.6 volt battery pack out and with the charging spacer that came with my old li-ion battery charger 2 cr123 cells will drop in and fit almost perfectly. I did not run it that long that way since 6 volts in to some thing that normally runs at 3.6 cant be doing it many favors. :poof: :laughing: Tube is not wide enough to fit AW's protected li-ion cells into though :(.

Last edited:

spring

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up one of the lights at Target today. This is the only store I have ever seen them. I have tried unsuccessfully to find information on the light on the internet. There is not any information on Energizer's website either. I think the rechargeable design is to be commended but I am hesitant about taking the light apart too much until I hear of some successful mods from other flash light enthusiasts. Does anyone know where to buy larger capacity 1/2 A replacement batteries?

crazywin

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I had to register to CPF and post my first post because I just modded this light. I got this light for free from someone who didn't have the charger for it, and I been looking to find a couple more of these to mod for family and friends that really liked it, and haven't found them anywhere.

I was able to mod this with a Cree Q5 on a 16mm round base that I got from dealextreme. The 1watt that came with it lines up perfectly with the Cree, the 2 screw holes fit, the 2 holes where the wire goes through the board fit, and the diameter is a perfect match.

As for the battery, since I got this thing without any chargers, I took the rechargeable out, and dropped in 2 CR123's. For a spacer, I used a bolt and three nuts that are roughly close to the diameter of the tube. Screw the nuts on the bolt leaving a little tip of the bolt exposed, tighten, and then chopped off the other end of the bolt and grind smooth. Wrap in some electrical tape, and presto, a battery spacer that is roughly half the length of a CR123.

The light works great, I dropped it on the ground a bunch of times and wacked the head of the light on my steel toe boots to stress test the soldering job I did. Didn't want to drop this out in the woods and the lights go off on me and all.

As far as comparison, I have a LumaPower M1 Special Edition with a Cree Q5, which costs like $100, and compared to this $8 mod, I have to say this mod is brighter than my LumaPower! The hotspot is brighter and larger, even with the smooth reflector on the M1. The throw is about the same, but the M1 is dimmer and smaller. Both have pretty equivalent spills. But in hindsight, I had fresh batteries in my new mod, but not fresh batteries in my M1. So you can roughly say the two are pretty equivalent. You wouldn't notice it unless you had two side by side.

When shining them on the wall within 1foot, this light had a hollow hotspot, the reason being the emitter is resting on the reflector ever so slightly, and the emitter isn't far enough inside the reflector to create a solid hotspot. The solution would be drill the reflector out JUST A HAIR and let the emitter slide in. But if you're needing the brightness of a Q5 at 1ft away, you're gonna just blind yourself, so I found no need to fix it right now.

The beam quality of the luma and interchangable parts is of far better quality, but for throw around in the toolbox, loan out, or drop on the ground, this light is much more durable than the luma, and I don't feel guilty messing up a $8 light compared to a $100 light or loosing it in the river when I go fishing!

Anyone have one that they don't want? I can use a few more for gifts.