TerraLUX + 3 Rebel Star?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Background

I'm one of the Maglite 2/3/4 C diehards, looking for max output and runtime on standard cells. The current best sub-premium/custom drop-in is the Cree based TLE-6EX/TLE-6EXB. While waiting for the anticipated Rebel version, I spotted this:

...a "normal" star mount, fitted with 3 LEDs instead of 1. But comparing this mount with photos, the TerraLUX currently uses a different kind of star (MiniStar?).

Questions

How usable/versitile is the the "normal" star mount in general?

Is the the "normal" star mount possibly compatible with drop in applications like the TerraLUX?

Will this triple star mount require higher voltage, like 3 separate LEDs would?

If all this would be possible, what would be the drawbacks?

Thanks!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The last rumor I dismissed as rumor (the Rebel L0D 100) turned out to be true, so I've amplified the weight of this one. I have NOTHING concrete to substantiate it.

In this case, since the triple Rebel star itself is confirmed, all I want to do here is prove or disprove the ability of the star platform to even fit onto current drop in modules. Since the platform appears well known, hopefully someone will drop-in with an answer.

There was a point when dual core computers were exotic, now they are base models. Why not triple core flashlights?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK that's an 'aftermarket' star, not a Luxeon made one. The real issue with that item as it is would be optics - how do you reflector/tir that?

Until that's resolved all you can make is a flooder.

TerraLUX doesn't use stars - they use raw emitters mounted to their PCB with electronics; there's no room for a star in a Maglite.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen those 3xRebel stars on a website posted right here on CPF. It is JUST like the multi-core CPU's coming out, only with LEDs, they are (or will be) putting everything else in the dust.

Instead of having to buy expensive custom flashlights with 3x or 4x CREES (XRE's or Seoul SSC's) you'll just get one of those.

Lumen in the several hundreds. Plus the size is SMALL. Think of the possibilities.

There are even RGB versions! (with a bit of electronic tweaking, you should be able to get several colors out as well!).

Come on, manufacturers, the fastest one gets the prize!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
AFAIK that's an 'aftermarket' star, not a Luxeon made one. The real issue with that item as it is would be optics - how do you reflector/tir that?

Until that's resolved all you can make is a flooder.

Thanks for chiming in Matt. Since the star looks like some sort of platform, that begs the question. What are stars built/used for? Is this just a company making something over and over again that they hope will find a use or do people actually use these things?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
in fact, check out this thread in the McGizmo subforum:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174089

Don did a quick prototype using 3xRebels (though not using the star itself). The results are amazing - without any kind of specialized emitter (he just used something available that would work) he got 286 lumens on high.

Comparison beams show the SF L4 being destroyed and ground into dust.

So I stick by my prediction that these 3xRebel stars (which cost, what, $12 bucks?) will be the LED equivalents of the computer multi-core chips. No more "custom" server and very expensive motherboards to run multi-chips, use a single socket motherboard and you get 4 cores/chips.

A $50 flashlight could be putting out 400 or more lumens, which to get today today you'd be paying $300 or more for a custom LED flashlight.

Also, Don was experimenting with combining more than 3 LEDs, including a red led together with white LEDs, which he thought made for a "warmer" kind of light. So he is also proving the possibilities I mentioned regarding combining RGB lights.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for chiming in Matt. Since the star looks like some sort of platform, that begs the question. What are stars built/used for? Is this just a company making something over and over again that they hope will find a use or do people actually use these things?

I would guess that to be the case at this point - a solution looking for an application. Stars are of course used for any number of flashlights but not stars with 3 emitters on them like that - that's never even really been possible before.