I need a GREAT flood light

Ericz23

Newly Enlightened
I read a lot about how great the Surefire L4 is for this but what else would you all recomend? It seems a little dated with "just 100lms" but I have never seen this light in use. All I have right now is the Streamlight 4aa Propolymer Luxon and a LOD-CE with a 10440 running it which makes the once bright Streamlight seem dim and not light up very much. If someone has these lights could you post beamshots comparing them to whatever you are recomending do I can see the difference. Thank you all for your input. Please remember I am looking for a flood light. :D

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a nice flood, I have been very happy with my Lunapower LM303. 2-stage, simple UI, and beautiful SSC floodbeam---all for $35 + shipping (minus 5% CPF discount at batterystation). I run it on 1xRCR123A---very bright and ~ 1 hr. runtime on high, per reports (haven't personally tested it). It is a helluva little light for the $.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2007 version Inova T1 has a great combination of both flood and throw. It runs on two CR123A batteries. It will light up the entire width of the street when I walk at night.

The Peak LED Solutions P4 Seoul Caribbean is considerably smaller, runs on one CR123A cell and also has a good combination of flood and throw, but less than the T1.

KingGlamis

Banned
If you are not worried about runtime I highly suggest the Super Fire WF501D. For about $20 you get these results...

IMGP0018.jpg

IMGP0043.jpg

And this one is at some very tall palm trees...

IMGP9991.jpg

Of course the $20 does not include batteries, but I have been VERY happy with this light.

paulr

Flashaholic
I read a lot about how great the Surefire L4 is for this but what else would you all recomend? It seems a little dated with "just 100lms" but I have never seen this light in use. All I have right now is the Streamlight 4aa Propolymer Luxon and a LOD-CE with a 10440 running it which makes the once bright Streamlight seem dim and not light up very much. If someone has these lights could you post beamshots comparing them to whatever you are recomending do I can see the difference. Thank you all for your input. Please remember I am looking for a flood light. :D
If your budget can stand it, try a McGizmo Mule. It has an unbelievably beautiful beam, well over 90 degrees across, with no hot spot, just some cosine-law falloff towards the edge. I can't conveniently post a beamshot but there are several in the Mule threads on the McGizmo forum.

whc

Enlightened
AmiLite Neo T5 does also have a nice floody beam, though not the best if you are planing on using 3.7v RCR123A.

Mandog

Newly Enlightened
Are there any that use standard batteries with a good runtime? The WF501D looks awesome but 15 - 30 minutes of runtime is unacceptable (well I guess it serves it's purpose as a gun mountable light).

LA OZ

Enlightened
I got my Gladius modded to SSC and add a [FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA][FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA]UCL LDF lens. This is one powerful floody light :). The one here in the middle:

torches.jpg

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Gladius%20SSC.jpg

as compared with Gladius Luxeon - the original. The one pictured on the right:
Gladius.jpg

Last edited:

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

For beautiful flood, please consider the Surefire L2. One can't call it dated :scowl:. The output (flood) is more impressive than my new Fenix L2T V2.0, which is rated at 140 lumens. Besides, it's low - at 15 lumens - is quite useful as well :thumbsup:.

Mine runs on two 3.0 volt rechargeables. However, these cells are too fat but this can be remedied by stripping them from their outer foil. Runtime on "high" is 20 minutes.

Kind regards,

Joris

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire C2 is also a very good choice. It's give a lot of throw and spill and very cheap?

The C2 does have nice spill, however its a pin beam, so not really under the class "flood light" in my opinion , i like my one though

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For something with absolutely not spot, remove the reflector of a Cree light(Any light will do but the Cree has a narrower emitting angle so more light will go out the front) and there, :) a light with no hot-spot.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So you've never actually seen an L4 in use.... You're missing out. It's far from dated. :twothumbs

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Thank you, gentlemen, for the links on the Super Fire WF501D. Not used to thinking of xenon when it comes to a flood light.

There's a 502D as well. It's supposed to be more compatible with 18650 batteries. The 501D maxes out at 2x17670 (but that helps runtime with a 7.4v lamp). My 502B is a great light, especially for $12 (Xenon). I haven't purchased from Ultrafire-shop, but they've got a table of lights, batteries, & lamps.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting on a Malkoff with orange peel...should get here today or tomorrow, and should make a terrific flood!

LEDAdd1ct

Latest posts