What's the brighest 2AA Mini-Mag drop-in? TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 or SMJLED2?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Is it one of these drop-ins or is there something better? Also, does every drop-in work with the IQ switch from Nite-Ize and is the TerraLUX made by Nite-Ize? Any idea on the lumens these drop-ins are producing?

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. How do these compare to the 1 watt Luxeon? How many lumens is it?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Terralux will probably be the brightest drop-in. The Smjled should be around 10-15 lumen and the Nite-Itz is probably around 20-30 lumen, the Terralux should be around 40-60 lumen(My estimates are probably wrong).

cfromc

Enlightened
I can't speak about the SMJ but the TLE-5EX turns a night light into a real flashlight with great run-times. I will have to do some comparisons but IIRC it is brighter than a Surefire P60 lamp. Its a lot of light in a nice small package. I leave it in my saddlebag with 2 lithium AAs and 2 spare batteries; that should give me at least 8 hours of light.

meuge

Enlightened
I can't speak about the SMJ but the TLE-5EX turns a night light into a real flashlight with great run-times. I will have to do some comparisons but IIRC it is brighter than a Surefire P60 lamp. Its a lot of light in a nice small package. I leave it in my saddlebag with 2 lithium AAs and 2 spare batteries; that should give me at least 8 hours of light.

I thought the TerraLux would overheat if you try to run it for long periods of time... at least that's what I gathered from reading about it here.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input about the TerraLux. It sounds like a pretty good solution as far as another upgrade to my Mini-Mag. I'm running out of Mini-Mags though, so I'll have to buy a few more. I'm up to three mods now, and if I get that TerraLUX I'll have to buy two more Mags...

Anyways, if the TerraLUX uses a Seoul, wouldn't that pump out like 80+ lumens like a Cree? Or, is this Seoul that the TerraLUX is using a lesser quality LED?

Thanks,
Ryan

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the runtime for the TLE-5EX? alkaline? nimh? lithium primary?

kjk200

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post, as I just found this forum last night. I have learned a ton in just a few hours! The reason I found it, as I too where looking for upgrades for my mini and 3-d cell mags (now with MAG LED upgrade:D). I was looking on ebay at the terralux extreme whatever(5 watt whatever), and I found a link to some flashlight review sight that said that the EX was a disappointment, and recomended the tle-5 instead. Does anyone have any further info on these 2 upgrades? I too thought that the EX one would overheat something.

Kjk200

P.S. I decided to try a nite-ize 1 watt led upgrade with the IQ switch that I saw at a store while I was out. I like the switch, but I hadd hoped the LED would be brighter. It is brighter than the original though.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
and I found a link to some flashlight review sight that said that the EX was a disappointment ....I decided to try a nite-ize 1 watt led upgrade with the IQ switch that I saw at a store while I was out. I like the switch, but I hadd hoped the LED would be brighter. It is brighter than the original though.

The item reviewed on flashlightreviews.com is the old version using a Luxeon K2, not the Seoul SSC P4 in the current version. If you search here I think you'll find dozens of very happy reviews.

The standard TLE-5 is noticeable brighter than the NiteIze unit and the TLE-5EX is more than twice as bright and similar in runtime.

In terms of lumens at the emitter based upon current to the LED and Mfr's spec sheets for the LED's you can expect about:
Nite Ize 30 lumens
TerraLUX TLE-5 45 lumens
TerraLUX TLE-5 90 lumens

A stock MiniMag is in the 12-15 lumen range.

The TLE-5EX uses a SSC P4 bin - the same as every quality light using an SSC emitter these days. The major limitations to running it even brighter are the ability of 2 alkaline AA's to deliver enough current and the thermal environment in the MiniMag which for all of the metal involved has no thermal path from LED to metal because of the plastic bulb holder.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
WOW, great stuff guys. Thank you all for posting and kjk2000, I hope you find the info you're looking for and welcome to the site. I've been on here for about two years and I check it more than my email.

As for the TerraLUX, I will get the Seoul emitter model and buy two more mini-mags to complete my addiction to Mini-Mag mods. I really love the IQ switch though, and as I played with it last night it is hands down my favorite clicky/turn on device. Even over Fenix I think the IQ excels in that it's quiet, you absolutely know when the device has changed modes and you have a momentary on (tactical I guess you can call it). Also, it gets rid of that worthless SOS mode, and it starts with the high mode. I really wish that Fenix would make a similar IQ-type switch.

I'm actually going to post this on the Fenix thread...

Goodnight,
Ryan

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
MattK,

Thank you for posting! I was just on your site (it is your site right?) the other day and I got lost with all the product you had. I actually spotted the Olight T20 and considered it as I bought a P3D Cree and was unhappy with it because two of them wouldn't work. How does this compare to the P3D and how does the user interface work? Also, the reflector seems to be a very cool design... does it work out better in the end? And is there anyway you could put a Cree Q5 binned LED in it?

Also... I'm looking for a rechargeable battery solution for my Fenix line (CR123, AA, AAA needed) in lithium and also a flash for my camera (D-SLR flash unit that takes four AA batteries, these needs to be Ni-MH).

What do you suggest for batteries and charger for these types of batteries. I would want the top tier of quality and charge capacity. Meaning, smart charger that could do possibly all of them (just type, no necessarily all at once) and the batteries with the most 'Mah.'

Thanks...
Ryan

h2xblive

Enlightened
This is my first post, as I just found this forum last night. I have learned a ton in just a few hours! The reason I found it, as I too where looking for upgrades for my mini and 3-d cell mags (now with MAG LED upgrade:D). I was looking on ebay at the terralux extreme whatever(5 watt whatever), and I found a link to some flashlight review sight that said that the EX was a disappointment, and recomended the tle-5 instead. Does anyone have any further info on these 2 upgrades? I too thought that the EX one would overheat something.

Kjk200

P.S. I decided to try a nite-ize 1 watt led upgrade with the IQ switch that I saw at a store while I was out. I like the switch, but I hadd hoped the LED would be brighter. It is brighter than the original though.

I am disappointed with the TerraLux TLE-5EX. It gets pretty warm when on for about 10 continuous minutes and I'm pretty sure it's no where even near 100 lumens. It's not that expensive and compared to the stock incan. bulb, it is a huge improvement.

Sometimes I swear there's no Seoul P4, and this must be some conterfeit TerraLux with a Luxeon III in it or something. :laughing:

cfromc

Enlightened
Shortly after installing my TLE-5EX into my MM, my home A/C went out. I used my minimag for 30 minutes straight while fixing the A/C. I noticed no dimming or color shifting at all although the light did get hot, especially around the head. It was not hot enough that I couldn't hold it though. If I get some time tonight I will compare the 5EX to some common lamps like a SF P60, P90 and a couple of Cree drop-ins (DX and Lighthound). My feeling is that the 5EX is at least near 100 emitter lumens, which should be as bright as a P60.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
I've used my Terralux TLE-5EX for almost 3 weeks now in an old (10? year old) MiniMag. I've tested it on AA's, Lithium AA's and rechargeable Nimh's and have settled on rechargeable Duracells or Eneloops. The light is very bright white with a lot of spill. I performed the washer heat sink mod though I haven't added heat conductive paste yet. I don't think that I need it. In testing I've run my light for 2 hours straight on rechargeable Nimh's and the body only gets mildly warm, not hot. I use the Terralux clicky switch since the heatsink mod removes the normal head switch. I used a tiny rubber washer around the emitter to move the reflector up a little to tighten the hotspot and still give me the ability to snug the head down against the emitter so the heatsink would be snug against the body. It doesn't have as tight a hotspot as some other lights, but BatteryJunction claims 100 lumen on the package and I believe that it's probably true, or close. If you choose to use the IQ switch it will cut the brightness on high by at least 15% according to others report's. That's why I chose the Terralux switch. It's a very handy light and I like it a lot.

cfromc

Enlightened
OK, I did some tests tonight (sorry no beam shots) of various lights vs. the TLE-5EX, here are the results:

First up a P90 in a C3=no comparison the P90 looks a lot brighter
2nd up a Cree drop-in in a G2 (I think DX)=no comparison the drop-in was a lot brighter
3rd up a P60 in a G2= starting to get closer to the TLE-5EX's league but the P60 is obviously brighter with a much brighter hot spot and brighter spill. The TLE is definitely a floody beam vs the P60 but the P60 still beat it in all areas including hot spot, throw and spill. I'll take a SWAG and say that if the P60 is 65 "Surefire" lumens then the TLE-5EX is more like about 50 "Surefire" lumens. The claim of 90 or 100 lumens is emitter lumens and likely a best-case scenario. Still, it is WAY brighter than the original MM bulb.

h2xblive

Enlightened
OK, I did some tests tonight (sorry no beam shots) of various lights vs. the TLE-5EX, here are the results:

First up a P90 in a C3=no comparison the P90 looks a lot brighter
2nd up a Cree drop-in in a G2 (I think DX)=no comparison the drop-in was a lot brighter
3rd up a P60 in a G2= starting to get closer to the TLE-5EX's league but the P60 is obviously brighter with a much brighter hot spot and brighter spill. The TLE is definitely a floody beam vs the P60 but the P60 still beat it in all areas including hot spot, throw and spill. I'll take a SWAG and say that if the P60 is 65 "Surefire" lumens then the TLE-5EX is more like about 50 "Surefire" lumens. The claim of 90 or 100 lumens is emitter lumens and likely a best-case scenario. Still, it is WAY brighter than the original MM bulb.

That sounds about right.

I was disappointed because I expected the TLE-5EX to be brighter than the P60 with the P60 having more throw.

davidt

Enlightened
I did a bounce test between my TLE-5EX and a 4D maglite. I think independent estimates for the 4D is about 60 lumens. I tested the relative illumination by trying to read black print on white paper. The 4D mag was slightly easier to read with a ceiling bounce test.

I don't know is it because the of the color differences between an incan and LED that made the 4D mag easier to read. But the TLE-5EX beam is much nicer to look at.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Wow... thanks for the all the input guys. I think I'm going to invest into a black Mini-Mag with an IQ switch and a TerraLUX TLE-5EX (Seoul). I'm just really happy with the IQ switch and if I can get a brighter light then so be it I guess. It won't be the brightest thing in the world, but I have my new L2D Rebel 100 for that.

Thanks for all the input...

ns66

Newly Enlightened
i just don't seem to understand given P4 led, rated about 80lumens, why TLE-5EX produced less light as reported, i mean there isn't much other factors here, just some circuit to up the voltage, not really rocket sicence, i mean what can make the output so much different for different mod/flashlight given the same P4