Could someone explain "regulated" lights?

Spypro

Enlightened
The regulated flashlight will maintain a constant output of light for "x" minutes or hours. The brightness will be the same. For an example: the Surefire L4 is a regulated light who giving 2.5 hours of light. Of this 2.5 hours, 1 hours is regulated: the brightness will be constant. After that, the light will be in an unregulated state where the light will dim slowly. Regulation is made by an electronic circuit.

The light of non-regulated flashlight will get dimmer and dimmer over time of use.

This is basic informations but I'm sure people here with more knowledge will give you a more precise explanation.

Marduke

Flashaholic
These flashlights are in no way comparable, but their curves are typical of regulated, and non-regulated LED flashlights. Look at the runtime graph for each.

The Inova X1 is non-regulated. It constantly dims as the battery is used up.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x1.htm

The Fenix P1 has very good regulation, as do most Fenix lights. It's circuity provides a constant voltage to the LED until there is simply not enough power left for the circuity to function in regulation. This provides the same level of light for most of the time you are using the flashlight. However, there is the risk of some flashlights simply blinking out when the battery is dead.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1.htm

Mandog

Newly Enlightened
I understand now, thanks Marduke and Spypro!

It's circuity provides a constant voltage to the LED until there is simply not enough power left for the circuity to function in regulation.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
I would say...
the pros:
- as mentiont - constat light output over the complete runtime
- best possible usage of batteries

the cons:
- electronic is needed - can get broken
- more expensive to build

in the end i would prefer regulated lights ;)

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you rather get your advertised brightness for X hours? Or have a constantly declining brightness Down Down down down until its finally sent its last photon out.

If you need power , then regulated is your only option really. if you just want "light" then non-regulated is fine, and you will get long long runtime.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most regulated lights use constant current regulation. That means that the amount of electricity provided to the emitter is constant as long as the regulation curcuit runs. Once the cell is no longer able to provide the required current, the light will either drop out of regulation and run in direct drive mode, or it will simply go out.

Constant current regulation, while it does provide a more steady output as compared to a non-regulated light, doesn't gaurantee constant output. As the emitter heats up, they become less efficient (less output). This is why even the best regulated lights show a slight dip in output as the emitter reaches warmer temperatures. The drop, however, is usually only detectable with a light meter.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I would list the pros as:
-constant, non-dimming output at or near the advertised brightness

I would like the main cons as:
-extra circuitry adds $ and greater chance for failure
-risk of light going from 90% full brightness to 0% in a matter of seconds (usually minutes or hours though)

I would list squeezing every drop of juice out of the batteries also, but some flashlights have a nasty habit of shutting off when the voltage drops below a given level, where other non-regulated flashlights such as the Inova X5 will actually squeeze every last drop out of a battery. This in itself has pros and cons. If you run a lithium-ion battery too far down in a non-regulated light, there is a small risk of going :poof:. However, it's user preference if you use, say, 80% of a battery in a regulated light before it drops out of regulation and you toss the battery. In a non-regulated light, the light may be capable of squeezing 95% of the energy out, but you may become disgusted with the decreasing output after 50-70% of the battery has been used and toss the battery in favor of a new brighter one.

Illum

Flashaholic
regulation circuits
pros: [as mentioned above] Longer and more stable period of light during its runtime
cons: Shorter overall runtime than nonregulated depending on the efficiency of the regulation circuit.

theres a couple types of regulation: the best being current regulated circuits

theres a few regulated lights that dont have a "moon mode" meaning the when the voltage of the battery decreased below the low power cut off threshold of the regulator, the light ceases to function. this occurs in a couple Nuwai lights as seen on the graphs of flashlightreviews. [lights like this that will put you in a dark room the moment you notice the light is getting dimmer]
the other, more common regulators possess the low voltage cutoff but the regulation circuit is bypassed when the voltage decreases to a specific level and the light becomes direct drive:candle: not much of an improvement but can get you out of an emergency. [lights like this or this notice the regulation (flat line) region going down a regular discharge slope]
the third [im familiar with in usage, not not technicality] is current regulated circuits that supply a constant current to the LED emitter regardless of the battery condition. this allows the LED to be driven on spec for the period of its usage, but the side effect is for current regulated circuits to function properly the power source must be able to give out high current continuously. Since Alkaline batteries have internal resistance by design, lithium primaries are used. the downside to these circuits [recently realized] is its ability to cause venting of the battery if the cell is in no condition of being drained...as seen in the Alph 1 explosion. [Im pretty sure thats what stenlight S7s use also...this I am not sure]

non regulated lights are more durable because of lesser components required for its function, but unless its battery has a relatively large capacity and the power conssumption of the LED is relatively low, don't expect to see long runtime without noticing steps down in light output or intensity.

Last edited: