What is the advantage of P60L over KL3?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not clear on this. Besides the fit, the runtime is very good on the KL3. How many watts does the P60L has anyway? I do see Cree this Cree that but never a watt associated with it. So my question is what would the advantage be of the P60L? And what does it means usable light after 2 hours in the 6P? Can read a map or the house number 100 feet away?

Chris

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you take the beam (output/runtime) as one issue, and the bezel as the other...

The beam from the KL3 (current) is very different from the beam of the P60L. You may find that you need/prefer a tighter beam with less spill, or not.

The output is quite different in terms of lumen output with the P60L output obviously greater. This will reduce the runtime of the P60L compared to the KL3.

It would be neat to see a runtime/output chart for each at this point to compare them.

The P60L is an LED Module "Lamp Assembly" and directly replaces P60/P90 Lamp Assemblies in all existing products.

The KL3 is a replacement bezel - it is larger in diamater, longer and heavier than the standard (6P) or even Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel (although more similar to the old style M2 bezel in size and heft)

I feel the P60L has far more appeal to a far wider range of users and applications compared to the KL3 bezel. Unless SureFire update the KL3 I suspect it will be discontinued (this is only a guess, I have no evidence at all to support it)

I hope this helps?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do currently have the KL3. I think Surefire usually has lower consumption, shall i say amp needed. I think that is why i wanted compared with the P60L. Maybe want I wanted to say is that the KL3 module was/is very good for what it is as far as efficiency goes. At the time about 2 years ago it was the best efficiency I could find on a Lux 3. I still think it is. New "newer" KL3 I think has a more spread/flood light. Anyway ill keep the KL3. I think is one of the best designs of the Lux 3.

Thanks for the reply
Chris

Windscale

Enlightened
I do not have the P60L but I do have the KL3 (old type). I think it is a Lux I. But for going walking in the wilderness I always take it with me. It may be a backup light. The good thing about it is that it does give sufficient light when in total darkness. Also, it is happy with 17670 in my 6P body. Most important, it tends to run forever. So, despite all the latest drop-ins I have still kept the old KL3.