How to disassemble Newer MAG C/D flashlights?

ufokillerz

Enlightened
I have a old Mag C with a retaining collar that screws off, and a New Mag D with a retaining collar that looks like those from RollerBlade Bearings, I've been prying at it for quite sometime and it won't come off, so i gave up on it and modded the mag C first, any idea how to take this retaining collar off easily?

ufokillerz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
radellaf said:
http://www.orderoutdoors.com/magreplac.htm

Should find disassembly (switch replacement) instructions on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have read that guide, thats how i got apart my Mag C earlier today, when i tried to take apart my Mag D which happens to be a new mag, it didnt have the thing that required a spanner tool, i can't get it out after many attempts.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I ran into this to. Just use an allen wrench on the switch and slide it out from the bottom. I took forever figuring that out the first time because it did not match up with the instructions given on that page.

BTW, where the heck does one obtain a "spanner tool"? I need one of those to take apart my Mag 2C and have never even seen one of these tools for sale anywhere.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
don't need a spanner tool, just takes some time when you try to turn it only with one hole, but i got it apart and eventually put it back together.

snuffy

Enlightened
If you have a pair of medium snap ring pliers you might want to give them a try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
old scratch awl in one hole of the retainer ring and some elbow grease worked for me abouta dozen times on the 2C, although I, too, have the spanner wrench on its to me way now...

snuffy

Enlightened
Charlie,
Sounds like you're going to be tearing apart quite a few Mags in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lucien

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
radellaf said:
http://www.orderoutdoors.com/magreplac.htm

Should find disassembly (switch replacement) instructions on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, does anyone know exactly what size Hex key is needed to unscrew the switch assembly? They sell the right sizes but never mention what the sizes are.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ufokillerz said:
its a metric hex, can't quite remember the size but it was the 2nd smallest key on my hex set.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 2mm

EDIT - I originally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif posted 2.5mm but was wrong... My hex wrenches sit in a dark corner behind the drill press and the vision is not so good as it used to be - sorry for the error. end EDIT

I have a pair of needlenose pliers that have the perfect size tips to use for unscrewing the spanner ring on the Mag C's

Lucien

Enlightened
Cool. Thanks Guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Was worried I'd have to borrow or buy several sets of keys before I found the right size.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lucien said:
Cool. Thanks Guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Was worried I'd have to borrow or buy several sets of keys before I found the right size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucian - I just re-checked and it's 2mm.... I was wrong in my initial post and will go back and edit it - sorry for the misinformation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif