Looking for an edc..

Enlightened
Im looking for a new edc to replace my G2, for edc I find it simply to big. Im looking for a small flashlight, can run on AA or a 123A. Ive looked at fenix, and I like the new L1T because of the 2 levels of output and the normal clickie tailcap. I like the looks of the Jetbeam and have heard good things, but I really dont need 5 brightness settings and I wouldnt like accessing all settings with just the tailcap alone. Can anybody give me some advice?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found my favorite EDC to be the McGizmo PD - runs on a standard CR123, does all it's supposed to do with grace and style. Downside - expensive at the least, even more so if made of Titanium..

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I'm considering getting a Fenix L1T V2.0 Rebel 80 also, but I haven't ordered one yet. I've been very happy lately with my LumaPower LM303. It's a simple but well made 2-level light with a great beam and nice price. It has a reverse clickie two-stage but it will tail-stand if you install the glow in the dark switch cover. The Fenix won't tail-stand with the forward clickie and the levels are controlled by turning the bezel rather than being two clicks of the switch on the LumaPower. There are good and bad points for both systems.
The LM301 powered by one AA battery is also a candidate that is very similar to the CR123 powered LM303.

martonic

Enlightened
Fenix LOD-CE (standard). Added a lanyard for digging it out of the pocket. Small, thin, light, multi-modes, smooth white flood-ish beam, good runtime, tailstands, does not get hot on NiMH or Lithium primary aaa. Can use 10440 (gets hot on turbo, but runs fine) when extra brightness is needed - and all modes still work. Flat (hexagonal) body and knurled head for easy one-handed twist operation. A winner.

Dobbler

Enlightened
The problem I have with all the recent Fenix models (**D-CE/Rebel and L*T V2 Rebel) is that the low modes are VERY bright. They're difficult to read with and to work in close quarters (working on a computer case for example) due to the brightness. The exception is the L0D-CE on low -- it's not too bad. But the high on the L0D-CE isn't bright enough unless on 10440 and that defeats the low-low :shrug: The JetBeam C-LE is a twisty, and I really prefer one-handed click operation. Otherwise it's an OK EDC if you can live with the two-handed operation. The switch between modes requires such a fast twist that I doubt you could be happy with one-handed operation.

I've really come to appreciate the Lumapower LM301 and LM303. Especially the former as the low is REALLY low and useful. At $31 (before coupon and shipping) it's a good deal, well made and looks pretty tough. One of the most attractive lights I own too. Use it outdoors on high and it will surprise you. The reflector does a good job of producing reasonable throw from the SSC LED.

As soon as I have other things in my shopping cart, I'll be ordering another from Battery Junction.

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
For me personally the HDS/Novatac lights excel at every day carry. That being said they are pricey and complicated.

The Surefire L1 is darn nice light but a little big and still pricey.

All in all I would have to say its tough to go wrong with a Fenix offering. They make a good product for the money. My pick would be a P2D since it is absolutely tiny, has plenty of functionality but can be uses as a simple high/low light if you desire. The price is good, run time and out put are good, the finish on mine holds up well and it tails stands. The P2D would be my vote.

Chris

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on many of the suggestions here.

I have the McGizmo Ti-PD, but very expensive so I tend not to take it while traveling. I also have the Lumapower M3, which has several different ways of working (1xAA, 2xAA, and 1xCR123A). In the last mode, it is fairly small and handy as an EDC.

Finally, I plan to get the P2D Rebel 100, which from the reviews and descriptions plus size measurements looks to be another great EDC light. Plus, I already have the 1xAA and 2xAA tubes/UI (from the L2D CE light which I have), so that also can give multiple battery options. This last I plan to use during travel.