Best Light for walking (dark suburban areas)

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have trolled through the archives looking to find an answer to this question:

What is the best usable flashlight to use walking at night in dark unlit areas - both streets and light forest.

I walk my dog every night (after dark) and since discovering this forum have been doing it much better lit up.

I have purchased an Ultrafire C2 9and 5-6 other flashlights) but find that the Fenix LOD CE is almost (but not quite) as pleasant to walk with as the C2 as it spreads the beam in a better usable throw. It doesn't get anywhere near the throw but up close it 'appears' better as it doesn't have that extremely bright hotspot.

Here is my difficulty - I much prefer having things well lit up and the Ultrafire C2 does that, but has a very tight hotspot.

I have quickly become addicted to bright lights and want to purchase something a bit better suited to walking at night but maximize my lumen pleasure.

I have been looking at:

Latest MRV (at $69 - wow) - big thrower
Tiablo A8 Q5 - big thrower
Lumapower M1 - R (Q5 180 lumens - but unknown as it is still coming)
Wolfeyes MAX II with HO dropin.
U2 Style with an upgraded Q5 Cree
Or - any other suggestions.

I am really looking for a very bright output with a very usable light for walking

Please excuse my suggestions if not suitable - I have been reading (heaps) on light reviews but am still stuck.

This has become an addiction (very quickly) after finding such wonderful new technolgy/flashlights - I now need to bury an expensive but MUCH less bright INCAN collection (going to distribute throughout the house as backup light for my kids.

UPDATE ********************************************************************************

See post #60 for my first lot of beamshots, comparing:

Photon keyring light knockoff
Fenix LOD CE
Ultrafire B2
Ultrafire C2
U2 Clone EYJ with Q5 emitter
Lumapower MRV with OP reflector
Dereelight (now my favorite walking light) 5 stage Q2 with OP reflector.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
3D Maglite with Malkoff drop-in. 240 lumens at the emitter for 6 hours, after that it drops out of regulation and it will continue to operate at reduced output for several more hours. U bin Seoul Semiconductor P4 LED. Special copper heatsink means no heat build up or dimming LED. Throw in a stippled, focusable reflector for a nice beam and spill. Costs $75, but hey, a P3D100 is $69.50 these days.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3&products_id=15

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I have trolled through the archives looking to find an answer to this question:

What is the best usable flashlight to use walking at night in dark unlit areas - both streets and light forest.

I walk my dog every night (after dark) and since discovering this forum have been doing it much better lit up.

I have purchased an Ultrafire C2 9and 5-6 other flashlights) but find that the Fenix LOD CE is almost (but not quite) as pleasant to walk with as the C2 as it spreads the beam in a better usable throw. It doesn't get anywhere near the throw but up close it 'appears' better as it doesn't have that extremely bright hotspot.

Here is my difficulty - I much prefer having things well lit up and the Ultrafire C2 does that, but has a very tight hotspot.

I have quickly become addicted to bright lights and want to purchase something a bit better suited to walking at night but maximize my lumen pleasure.

I have been looking at:

Latest MRV (at $69 - wow) - big thrower
Tiablo A8 Q5 - big thrower
Lumapower M1 - R (Q5 180 lumens - but unknown as it is still coming)
Wolfeyes MAX II with HO dropin.
U2 Style with an upgraded Q5 Cree
Or - any other suggestions.

I am really looking for a very bright output with a very usable light for walking

Please excuse my suggestions if not suitable - I have been reading (heaps) on light reviews but am still stuck.

This has become an addiction (very quickly) after finding such wonderful new technolgy/flashlights - I now need to bury an expensive but MUCH less bright INCAN collection (going to distribute throughout the house as backup light for my kids.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

My light of choice is currently a 4th generation VB-16 (the Waion version, not the DX or Kai). I would imagine that the VB-16's that they sell would be good lights, also. The VB-16 has good throw, and plenty of sidespill. I like to have a huge area illuminated when I walk at night, so an OP reflector is a must. I use a 18650 cell, and have well over two hours runtime.

An MRV with the orange peel reflector would also be a good choice for an evening walk light. I sold my MRV with smooth reflector after getting the VB-16 from Waion's sale. In hindsight, if I would have purchased an OP reflector, the light would have been a keeper.

I can't comment on your other lights, as I do not have any experience with those.

Good luck in finding your perfect light.

datiLED

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
The newly priced MRV with an OP looks very tempting.

This is a quest that you cannot simply look at output readings, it requires real world feedback ( or a lot of expense).

I have a lot of 18650 batteries ( rechargeable protected) so really would like to look at flashlights that suit this (really should have mentioned this in my first post).

Also would like to hear from Stefans as he has similiar use from his lights (from what I could read into his posts/reviews)

Thanks again
Mark

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MRV-kit for $69 is the best value available right now. Be quick before they run out. The MRV does have a defined and very bright spot, but it also produce lots of spill. With an additional two level click switch you get 3 levels, from the pics I believe that one is included in the kit. The MRV is a fantastic flashlight, with the massive heatsink you can run it continuously for hours on high. Works very well for me in all outdoor activities, in the woods, dog walking etc.
Stefan

LightScene

Enlightened
The Dereelight CL1H with an OP reflector for under $70 would be a good choice.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The MRV-kit for $69 is the best value available right now. Be quick before they run out. The MRV does have a defined and very bright spot, but it also produce lots of spill. With an additional two level click switch you get 3 levels, from the pics I believe that one is included in the kit.
I share Stefan's assessment of the MRV. With OP, it should be fine (although it does have a very defined hotspot). The new M1-R, Derelight, or VB-16 would all be good choices (I'm a particular fan of the VB-16's wide range of levels personally).

Oddly, the pics in the DX listing of the $69 MRV do indeed seem to have the 2-stage switch from the D-mini, as opposed to the single stage that came with each of my MRVs. Odd, since it's not discussed in the description. :thinking:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Bordermeister!

I recently went camping with some friends, and I brought about 10 different flashlights to try out. I brought all kinds: Fenix/LiteFlux pocket lights, LED thrower type lights (LumaPower D-Mini, Ultrafire C2), my Coast Lenser mod (with added dimming tailcap), a VB-16, Mag ROP mod, a Mag modded with an SSC LED, and a couple others that I can't remember.

My friends' campsite was about 200 feet away, and over the weekend I walked back and forth quite a few times between the sites. The light I eventually settled on was the VB-16. It has a large diameter spill, and its low mode was great for navigating without disturbing other campers. If I needed it, high mode was readily available...or any brightness in between. With the SSC LED and orange peel reflector providing a fabulous, smooth beam, it's one awesome light! The only other one that came close was my Coast mod with the dimming tailcap. Its low wasn't as low as the VB-16, but it was still pretty darn low. My only complaint with that one was that I had to walk around holding the light in "tactical mode", since the dimming switch is a rotary switch at the rear. The VB-16 has its brightness controls towards the front of the body, so you can hold the light in a comfortable walking position, yet still have your thumb ready at the buttons. The Fenixes were great as well, but I found it just a bit annoying to cycle through the modes everytime I just wanted a bit more light for a second. The LiteFlux LF2 was also great...I had mine programmed for a nice low for walking, then a quick twist for high if I needed it. Choices, choices...

Last edited:

Windscale

Enlightened
Hi,
The newly priced MRV with an OP looks very tempting.

This is a quest that you cannot simply look at output readings, it requires real world feedback ( or a lot of expense).

I have a lot of 18650 batteries ( rechargeable protected) so really would like to look at flashlights that suit this (really should have mentioned this in my first post).

Also would like to hear from Stefans as he has similiar use from his lights (from what I could read into his posts/reviews)

Thanks again
Mark

A good quality U2 clone type will work nicely or else it may be difficult to fine good 18650 lights.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I use a Fenix L2D-CE with the orange peel reflector for my evening walks. 4 light levels available, and high really lights up a big area. The 'turbo' mode is even brighter, but I don't need the extra light. Runs on 2 AA batteries and does great with Sanyo Eneloops.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here I go again. The MRV is more versatile than a lot of good people here on CPF would like to admit. They have their preferences and I have mine when it comes to flashlights. For the woods I always carry a monster like the MRV or Tiablo A8/A9, they are simply unique in both design and capability for both throw and spill. I always carry a pocket light, in my case a modded Liteflux LF1, for other lighting needs. In this slim package (MRV & Tiablos) you get real throw if you happen to need it. If you don't have that capability when or if you need it.....
Stefan

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree with Stefan here. However, I'd suggest taking a headlamp so you can light up the ground in front of you, hands free. Then carry a thrower like the Tiablo for when you want to look at something far away.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Dereelight CL1H 2.0. It's smaller than a MRV, and won't trow as far, but with the Q2 emitter and smooth reflector I can spot things at 500 feet no problem, and you can light stuff up at 600-700 feet, but it gets pretty faint around 700 feet.

You can get a 2-stage or 5-stage module, both work with 18650's, and 18650's are recommended. You can also switch to an OP reflector to get a nicer beam, but you'll sacrifice some throw, probably knocking you down to around 400 feet of useful throw.

Since it uses modules, if a higher output module comes out, say a Q5, you can just buy that and pop it in the light for an instant upgrade. Or you can use other P60 style drop-ins.

I have a review here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173576

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree with Stefan here. However, I'd suggest taking a headlamp so you can light up the ground in front of you, hands free. Then carry a thrower like the Tiablo for when you want to look at something far away.
thats what i was thinking

is a mrv easy mod for q5?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats what i was thinking

is a mrv easy mod for q5?

You'd have to ask Stefan about mod'ing the MRV to Q5, but from his posts, it doesn't look too difficult. However, Tiablo now has a LE of the A8 with Q5 emitter, so no mod is necessary, until they come out with R bins of course.

j3bnl

Enlightened
If your looking for something with more than one setting hi low etc why not try one of the Wolf Eyes cree's. I have just taken delivery (a couple of days ago) of the new Wolf Eyes Guider 170 lumen 4 mode. Has a head mounted switch, 4 settings 100%,20%,2% and strobe, built in charger point, so no removing the battery.
Brilliant!!!

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that as a general rule, my Seoul Led lights have a broader spot..not as intense as many Cree lights. This can be good or not- depending on what you want.
I also have to politely disagree with Wade...my Dereelight is no way going to light up something 500 feet away...maybe Wade has a short ruler?

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P3D REBEL 100!

Very nice hotspot and wider spill.........