Weekend in Muskoka, Ontario, finally got to use my lights

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
Spent the weekend at a church youth retreat, I was one of the counselors, with 24 junior high kids (that was the scariest part). We were near Port Stanley, south of Huntsville, and it's dark up there. I brought along my MRV and a D-Mini, but used the MRV nearly the entire time.

The kids all had small department store lights, didn't really light up much past a couple of footsteps. I could stand on the deck of the cafeteria and light up the entire path to the lodge, even through the trees.

I also brought along a light-up flying disc (http://batteryjunction.com/niizefl.html #FFD-08-07), which everyone thought was great.

I wish I could live up there, it's really beautfiful country and, more importantly, it's dark!

Randy

Burgess

Flashaholic
Oh man . . . .

CPF Field Trip !

and Vendor Fair !

:grin2: ___ :wave: ___ :clap: ___ :twothumbs ___ :D

_

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spent the weekend at a church youth retreat, I was one of the counselors, with 24 junior high kids (that was the scariest part). We were near Port Stanley, south of Huntsville, and it's dark up there. I brought along my MRV and a D-Mini, but used the MRV nearly the entire time.

The kids all had small department store lights, didn't really light up much past a couple of footsteps. I could stand on the deck of the cafeteria and light up the entire path to the lodge, even through the trees.

I also brought along a light-up flying disc (http://batteryjunction.com/niizefl.html #FFD-08-07), which everyone thought was great.

I wish I could live up there, it's really beautfiful country and, more importantly, it's dark!

Randy

Thanks for the story. I first fell in love with flashlights while camping when I was a kid. Maybe you inspired some future CPF'ers.

Did you get to visit the Torrance Barrens Dark Sky Reserve?
Link: http://www.muskokaheritage.org/natural/torrancebarrens.asp

I was there last January--total darkness.

What a place to test out some lights!

Joe

I have to check that out sometime! Thanks.

Last edited:

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
That Torrance Barrens Dark Sky Reserve looks cool, I didn't even know about that. We were probably just a few minutes from there.

It was a good weekend for flashlights, the theme was alien abduction (somehow the youth pastors worked that into a Biblical thing). A bunch of, uh, aliens, jumped out of the woods with high-powered flashlights as we drove in and abducted one of the drivers, all the kids were issued flashlights and hazmat suits (sort of) to search for the missing guy, there was a bunch of glow in the dark paint, chasing a bat out of the lodge, an alien autopsy with real organs (from a sympathetic butcher), a rocket, some karaoke (they made me dance to YMCA, oh the pain), lots of GITD tubes and rings and such, a midnight snack of soda pop floats with all sorts of ice cream and a couple of movies.

Randy

Techmedic

Enlightened
Hey Randy,

Been doin' church youth stuff for far too long. Ever been to the PAOC Eastern district Youth Convention in Kingston? I was the convention medic for 20+ years. Was up at cottage on Six Mile Lake (30 miles north of Orillia) last week and I used:

Surefire Outdoorsman (E2O-HA) for general walking
Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp, gathering sticks for firewood (my boys love this light!)
Streamlight TL-3 for distance spotting (incredible!!)
Gerber Infinity Ultra for walking at night to visit the facilities.

Ian

Telkin

Enlightened
Muskoka is truly and awesome place for flashlights, my M3T goes a long way when I'm there. Thanks for the tip about the Dark Sky reserve, though, if we bring flashlights there, aren't we technically polluting it? :thinking: