Can the 2 stage switch of the D mini be used for the MRV?

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
As the question suggests can anyone here advise whether the two stage switch of the D mini be used for the MRV? I don't want to do anything stupid and spoil a perfectly good flashlight.

Thanks in advance.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
As the question suggests can anyone here advise whether the two stage switch of the D mini be used for the MRV? I don't want to do anything stupid and spoil a perfectly good flashlight.
Yes, it works perfectly well and will not harm your light. This is discussed in the official Luma MRV thread in the marketplace.

You just need to swap the actual switch mechanism - the tailcaps are different sizes, so you can't just screw the whole D-mini assembly in as is. You will need fine needle-nose or snap-ring pliers to unscrew the retaining ring on the tailcap assembly, remove the actual switch, and exchange for the single-stage clicky switch of the MRV tailcap assembly. Takes all of 2 mins with the right tools.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a two stage D-mini switch with my dark brown MRV from Matt some time back. When installed, the D-mini switch's low setting brightness is identical to that of the light engine's twist low setting. I read in other post's that the D-mini switch provided a 3rd (lower) brightness level, but for me this is not the case.

Any idea why? Does anyone with this combination (dark brown MRV/D-mini 2-stage switch) have different results?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I bought a two stage D-mini switch with my dark brown MRV from Matt some time back. When installed, the D-mini switch's low setting brightness is identical to that of the light engine's twist low setting. I read in other post's that the D-mini switch provided a 3rd (lower) brightness level, but for me this is not the case.
That's odd, because mine works fine the new dark brown MRV. Note that switching the body switch when the tailcap 2-stage D-mini switch is on low has no effect on output. Switching the body switch when the D-mini switch is on Hi functions as if you were using the default single-stage switch.

With the D-mini switch on low, my output readings are much lower than the body switch low (about 1/2 the lux @1m on primaries, and about 1/3 the lux @1m on 18650).

I seem to recall hearing that some of the newer dark brown MRVs have a lower low mode on the body switch, due to consumer demand. If that is the case, and it were to be the same resistance as the D-mini 2-stage switch, then it may explain your results. Are you able to measure the lux throw of your light?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but I don't have any lux measuring capability - just eyeballing it. But if there's a practical difference (RCR123s), I don't see it. My MRV's low setting is really bright and with the OP reflector is my default mode during nightly walks.

Do you find the brightness difference easily apparent in real-world usage?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you find the brightness difference easily apparent in real-world usage?
Ah, now I see the problem - just tested my light on 2xRCR, and the low mode of the D-mini is indeed indistinguishable from the low mode of the body switch (both of which are quite bright - output similar to the body switch Hi/Lo on primaries).

On primaries and 18650 you'll find a much more of a difference with the 2-stage low mode. On primaries, it's noticeably dimmer, but not a huge difference. On 18650, it's quite a bit dimmer.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I'm glad it's just not my aging eyesight. I find the 2-stage D-mini tailswitch coupled with the light engine twist switch too complicated anyway. I'm still waiting for the tactical forward clicky...

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks selfbuilt I will try to switch the tailcaps and see what happens.