Ok to keep NiMh batts in the light?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have a question regarding potential danger of keeping NiMh batts in the light longer periods.

I have a 2 D MagLite ROP, 6 NiMh batts, now, do I run any risks If I keep the batterys in the light for longer periods of time? I have had my Fenix L2D tailcap blowing up like a baloon from the gases, when Ive had NiMh in it.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there is any problem to do so! In fact, I does it with all my NiMH powered lights, including a Cree modded Maglite with 6 NiMH in it and no problem so far. NiMH are less likely to leak like alkaline cells. And usually, they vent only with extreme conditions when they are overcharged or overdischarged. This is probably what happened with your L2D. One cell probably was overdischarged then reverse charged. It then vented. Did you measure the voltage on the cells when this happened?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
When I think about it, I must have overdisharged them, the batterys was new and I wanted to try them out, think I tested the runtime on the L2D. Its good if I can leave them in my ROP, its my "bump in the night" light, dont wanna put the batterys in when in a hurry to use the light.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I think about it, I must have overdisharged them, the batterys was new and I wanted to try them out, think I tested the runtime on the L2D. Its good if I can leave them in my ROP, its my "bump in the night" light, dont wanna put the batterys in when in a hurry to use the light.

With the L2D, you should recharge as soon as possible when the brigtness drops. On turbo, with mine, the brightness drops when they are around 0.95V. NiMH is considered fully discharged at 0.9V-1V under load.