DCC Anyone? Dichroic Cold Coating? or E-Rhodium?

S4MadMan

Enlightened
I'm doing some research into creating the optimum reflector for the MadMan HID Spot Light. I know a little about Dichroic Cold Coating (DCC) and Enhanced Rhodium (ER) but not enough. I know DCC will give a 95% reflective range while absorbing 75% of the heat/infrared energy. ER is similar.

I'm not familar with how these two types of coating would react to HID light, are there any pluses/minuses.

Any Experts that can help me out here? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: DCC Anyone? Dichroic Cold Coating? or E-Rhod

well, I opined the dcc which is used for reflectors in movie projectors, would seem counter productive for the searchlight because the dcc is designed to absorb heat in the form of infra red energy, so that it is not projected to the fragile movie film, in a movie projector..there's no reason not to project that heat outward through the search light lens, in fact it would seem to help keep the unit cool.. any good mirror surface will give you over 95% reflectance...more learned opinions welcome.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
You...

...know what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to make the brightest, longest throwing spotlight with the best warranty...within "reason". I'm trying to make that spot light for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Better yet, you tell me what kind of reflector you want and I'll go do it. How's that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: You...

well yes I understand you're trying to make that searchlight, I thought that by examining these coatings you were after something I wasn't quite understanding..
a mirror finish stainless steel seems like a good choice to me..I'm no expert, but that would be heat proof -- very highly reflective, sturdy cleanable, and, well, stainless. (Like the Mag-charger reflector.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened
I...

...think the current reflector is just that. OK, so we got the reflector taken care of...next... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

err..i believe the charger's refector is al?

i don't know anything about coatings, but i'm gonna have to say chrome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

well, to me the Magchargers reflector seems a bit heavy for aluminum, and I remember the Magcharger cleaning instructions recommending alcohol to clean and polish the reflector -- which I think is not good practice for any other metal..and chrome chips..

D

**DONOTDELETE**

finally found this thread again ("you.." ?? what does that mean?? :>)
any who, Roth, guess you're right;
-------
Dear (TedtheLed),

Thank you for your interest in Maglite products. The reflector is made of high polished aluminum and there is no protective coating on it. Therefore, we do not recommend cleaning the reflector; however if necessary, it can be cleaned only by air or a fine brush, any other material will only ruin the reflector. If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
(Maglight) Customer Service
-----------

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

wow, that reply almost borders on pleasant!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif