• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Nautilus Flashlight Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update 11/27/2007
Hey Folks,

All the Titanium Nautili are gone, hope you all enjoy them. :)

A lot of people asked about a run of an aluminum Nautilus so I decided to go ahead with a relatively small batch to make a version that was a bit more generally affordable. Please take a look at this thread for more details:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2243667

Take care folks!

-Enrique

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Interesting !

Is it CF123 ?
What drive currents does it use for High and low?
How is the UI? A twisty à la L1/L2/A2?
It has a split ring attachment for keychain carry?
Any idea about runtime?

bernie

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Bernie! :)

Yep, the light uses a CR123 battery. The UI is a twisty, and cycles through off-low-high modes as you turn the head.

Runtime tests are forthcoming but will exceed the CR2 Ion's 1.5 hour high mode and 40 hour low mode. Current on high mode is 350mA and 30mA for low.

The light does have a keyring attachment point in the back that folds in when not in use, as the Ion did.

-Enrique

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Cool. Shoudl be 2+ hours on high. Very reasonable and good drive level.
E-Mail inbound.
bernie

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I've got two Ions, now maybe a Nautilus in the wings....?

Enrique, what metals might you be using for these?

Karl

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
He said Titanium for the case with brass for the LED inside for thermal reasons. It's in his post unless he just added that. This sounds like a very cool light but I'm just not in a position buy Ti right now. I like everything about this light but would hopefully see some of these in Aluminum at some point - maybe T7075 as it's stronger and would thus be able to kept small also. Also would hope the Ion flicker problem has been resolved with the steps mentioned above. Sounds likely it will be good to go.

Hello Enrique,

I'm in for one. Email sent.

I assume that one can use an RCR123 as well as a primary in this light.

My only concern about titanium is that it is notoriously gritty compared to aluminum or a host of other metals. This is particularly annoying on a twisty switch light. Maybe, with your attention to fitup and detail, there will be some way to minimize that problem.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I assume that one can use an RCR123 as well as a primary in this light.

I hope this issue has been addressed wtih the Nautilus.. the deal-breaker for me on the CR2 Ion was the really short runtimes with RCR2.

Please tell us that the electronics in the Nautilus have been designed to properly accept and make use of the full capacity of an RCR123 battery!! :candle: This would be the deciding factor in my purchase of this light. :shrug:

:) john

charlesn

Enlightened
Enrique, how smooth is the beam with the new reflector? (Hard to tell with beam shots taken at 20 ft.) I ask because my main complaint with the Ti Ion XR-E was artifacts in the beam. Perhaps you could post comparitive beam shots?

DM51

Flashaholic
Enrique, how smooth is the beam with the new reflector? (Hard to tell with beam shots taken at 20 ft.) I ask because my main complaint with the Ti Ion XR-E was artifacts in the beam. Perhaps you could post comparitive beam shots?
There is a beamshot in post #1 comparing it to the CR2 Ion XT. You can see the Nautilus is very smooth. You can also see in the close-up pics of the Nautilus that it has a light orange-peel reflector to eliminate artifacts.

You say you have a 'Ti Ion XR-E' - was this one of Enrique's XR-E versions, or was it an original CR2 Ion modded to XR-E by someone else? Enrique's ones were called 'CR2 Ion XT'. My XT has no artifacts that you can see at any distance more than ~6 feet.

I am amazed at how much brighter the Nautilus looks compared to the CR2 Ion XT - I have been carrying one non-stop for ~8 months now as my keychain light and it is VERY bright. This Nautilus beam looks exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.