Luxeon Headlamp and Princeton Tec Yukon

John John

Newly Enlightened
Oh when oh when will we have the chance to purchase a Luxeon + 3 low powered brightness adjustable LED's LED headlamp? Is the Luxeon just not feasable to be put into a headlamp yet? Whats the dilly-o? I was just looking at the new Princton Tec Yukon headlamp. I am very close to actually purchasing one when they come out soon. If I remember, I saw one at the shot show and it looked kinda nice but bulky. I also read up on it on a previous thread. Wait a minute... why am I typing all this? This thread has no topic or purpose! They are just random thoughts going through my head! Darn I am bored.

John

jkthomson

Newly Enlightened
I'm not even that fussy!

give me a luxeon 1W headlamp, and a single LED, like the one that the infinity Ultra, or Arc AAA uses.

1 LED is plenty in the dead of night. No need for 3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2xAA, of course.

Blikbok

Enlightened
jkthompson: I agree. Fewer 3xAAA headlights, more 2xAA headlamps.

OT, I was just thinking about how the Dat2Zip Badboy and the Opalec Newbeam both run on 2xAA, and how nice it would be to wrap the two of them up in a waterproof case, and maybe include some kind of thermal switch to shut off the LS if the temp rises too high....

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't even need the 5mm LEDs just make the Luxeon output adjustable. maybe 3 levels and a flasher. If you used a side emitter and a textured reflector you could even make the beam width adjustable to some degree.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...after several weeks of waiting, REI is finally listing them on their web site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif The link to the page is here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

Good thing too, I was running low on popcorn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

John John

Newly Enlightened
Well... What you guys say sounds good. Though I would like mine with all that and 4xAA. More power, longer life and I also want to use my Nimh's. Never thought about a light adjustable Luxeon. One little low powered LED would be fine... just enough to read a book and do hands on work by.

John

John John

Newly Enlightened
I forgot... Does the Yukon do a 1 led, all led and incandecent only? I know it has different modes. Furthermore, what is the quality/specs of the incan? Could anyone post a link to tell me the difference and specs between the different kinds of incan headlamps bulbs like Krypton bulbs, xenon and halogen etc... Thank You!

John

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just called the Seattle REI store and they don't have any in stock or at the distribution center. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif As far as specifications go, Princeton Tec doesn't even show the model on their web site yet so I will leave others to answer that inquiry.

Dan

P.S. There was another thread on this subject here.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me? Since I have an Arc LS, I simply ordered a headlamp mod from Silviron (via his website). I got the Rayovac 'adult' mod. Silviron rewired the 4AA battery holder for series/parallel for 3 volts at double capacity. The downside of this holder, is that you need a screwdriver or quarter to open an close it (screw on back).

Other than that, it works just fine. I use it to take the trash out every week. A flashaholic take trash out during daylight? Not on your Life!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cave dave said:
You wouldn't even need the 5mm LEDs just make the Luxeon output adjustable. maybe 3 levels and a flasher. If you used a side emitter and a textured reflector you could even make the beam width adjustable to some degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave,

Although this works, it doesn't work well. One reason is that an LS isn't as smooth as 5mm LEDs. For up close work, I find that important. Also, if you dim a white LS down too much, it can start to look puke green, even if it wasn't to start with. At least, that's been my experience with them. I find dimming works great for colored ones, though.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PercaDan said:
Just called the Seattle REI store and they don't have any in stock or at the distribution center. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif As far as specifications go, Princeton Tec doesn't even show the model on their web site yet so I will leave others to answer that inquiry.

Dan

P.S. There was another thread on this subject here.

[/ QUOTE ]

PT is really slow to list new stuff on their website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Last I looked, the Aurora was still listed as a new item.

Also, for a better price (not sure about shipping), you guys might want to check the link I listed on the other thread. According to them, they should be in on 3/07. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bandgap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
Although this works, it doesn't work well. One reason is that an LS isn't as smooth as 5mm LEDs. For up close work, I find that important. Also, if you dim a white LS down too much, it can start to look puke green.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I was lucky, but when I made a dimmable torch (flashlight) using an old-style Star/O it had a lovely smooth beam, and it dimmed to a glow while staying white.
Ironically, I pulled it apart to make a head torch which I never finished.
The dimming was linear (non-PWM) and regulated.

John John

Newly Enlightened
In response to Lux Luthors last post:

Your right! They are very slow at updating their website. I am not sure if I really want the Yukon. There are plenty of other headlamps with Incan/LED combinations but I don't have enough info to tell the difference between them all to make a more perfect decision. (I am ever-incresingly anal and shop around and research waaay to much on electronics I buy) Still learning though! I believe I am feeling the first tugs of Flashaholicism. MUST RESIST! Can't... afford... to buy every flashlight... need... money for college. LOL!

Anyways... I know if I buy that Yukon, Something better and maybe exactly what I want will come out soon. Arg!

Thanks CPF... You are a great information source,
John

shipinretech

Enlightened
I suspect part of the reluctance of the headlamp makers has something to do with the sole-source and unique form factor of the Luxeon. Part of the problem may also be the heat sink requirements of the Luxeon causing weight issues. Some of the headlamp customers are comparing products more by grams than footcandles.

Of course, if anybody from Princeton is reading this, InReTech would love to talk to you about leasing our methods for a very reasonable rate, or other joint endeavors.

John John

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if Princeton is having problems with the light. LEDmodMan... do you personally have any experience with the EverLED?

John

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PercaDan said:
REI has now pulled the Yukon off of their web site. Arrrgh.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I hope this doesn't turn out to be just a prototype teaser. I really want this light!