HELP! Can the KL1 LuxIII LED be driven directly @ 6V without circuitry?

LiteSabre

Newly Enlightened
Like the title says, I want to direct drive the raw LuxIII LED in the Surefire KL1 head without any circuitry. I only want to do this becsue I tried to take apart the KL1 head to add a refector, but I destroyed the PCB board in the process. I tried it with 3V's and it seems to work OK, but I want to be safe and know that the LuxIII can handle the 6V without any regulation circuits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Litesabre.:candle:

lexina

Enlightened
I am afraid the answer is no. The vf of Lux IIIs usually range from 3.03v (H-bin) to 4.23v (N bin).

You should be able to slightly over-drive it using a single rechargeable LiIon such as the 17670. If you prefer to stick to primary cells, you could run it on a single CR123 together with a dummy cell to take up the excess space. To run the light with 6v (i.e. 2XCR123s), you would need to fit an appropriate resistor into the circuit.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could also replace the driver board with one of the many available at online shops like dealextreme or kaidomain or from dealers at the CPF Marketplace assuming you can find one of the same size.

LiteSabre

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Now, does anyone know of a converter board that will fit in the KL1 head (TIROS model)? Can I put in a LuxV LED in there?

All suggestions welcome. Can someone recommend the combos that work best; for example: LuxIII LED (what board) and LuxV (what board).

Thanks