Fenix needs the IQ switch from Nite-Ize!!! If you haven't tried one, try it...

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Since I've owned the IQ switch for about a week now, I have fallen in love with the thing. I absolutely think that the IQ switch is the best user interface that I've handled (granted, I've only hanleld Fenix, Arc, Gerber and Surefire). I love the fact first off, that it turns the Mini-Mag (normally a not-so-hot flashlight) into a durable, usable torch - albeit with the TerraLUX TLE-5EX Seoul P4. It does this by giving it the ability to tail stand, making it easy to find at night (keep reading), and the option of five modes. And these modes start out at the highest setting and trickle down to medium, low, strobe low, and strobe high. On top of that, it has a momentary-on feature that I hear people asking for so much. Adding another cherry to the pile is the fact that the soft, rubber tail-clicky cover blinks red because of the small LED in the tail-switch. Also, it makes the LED blink at some ridiculously low, probably fraction of a lumen which is great for spotting in the dark.

Case-in-point, Fenix... please make one, or someone in the aftermarket replicate it somehow. What if Nite-Ize and Fenix merged... wow...

My .03,
Ryan

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's sort of a cool little interface but I think many people don't like it because the design adds a lot of resistance in the mini-mag.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine, but you lose output with it. If you turn it on HIGH, then take it off and replace it with another switch, or just put the minimag tailcap back on, you should see your light is now brighter than it was with the IQ switch on HIGH. This was the case with mine anyway.

However, I use it with a MiniMag and a 1Watt Luxeon dropin, and I use it for moving around the upstairs at night, so less light is good. :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
From what I understand, it produces a 15% loss of output. But remember, we see light in a logarithmic scale. Personally, I don't notice any difference when used with a Nite Ize 3-LED drop-in.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a reverse or a forward clicky, but a momentary! You can see through the clear button that it's a microswitch like those used in car alarm remotes or mouse buttons. This certainly allows for crisp mode changes.

The one disadvantage of all lights that use a momentary is they never shut completely off, since some circuit must be on and actively waiting for someone to click the button. The genius of the Nite-Ize is the MiniMag has its own separate off switch--just tighten the head and the circuit is broken, so the batteries won't drain when not in use. The lack of the "find me" blinker indicates when the batteries have been disconnected.

The Fenix has no separate off switch. And unlike the Nite Ize, most models do not use PWM for dimming.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Alright... so eliminate the problem that it uses 15% of the light and you'll have the perfect switch in my opinion. Not that I can really tell the difference in 15% anyways. But, it's the principle of the switch. For those of you who've used it can attest to it's ease and feel. That's what I respect of it... that it's more a button than a clicky like my Fenix (which I don't really care for).

Thanks for the input... and again, for a more technical answer, why does it reduce the light by 15%?

Ryan

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I would love this switch if you could defeat the auto time-out feature (non-flasher modes), but you cannot! Tail stand is great, but if you have to run over and tap the switch every fifteen minutes to keep it from going off it's not worth it..... There are LONG threads on this switch from when it was introduced.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I would love this switch if you could defeat the auto time-out feature (non-flasher modes), but you cannot! Tail stand is great, but if you have to run over and tap the switch every fifteen minutes to keep it from going off it's not worth it..... There are LONG threads on this switch from when it was introduced.

I did seam to forget about that particular feature. And I agree... having the auto-off feature would be better placed at say an hour or an hour and a half where the majority of the users wouldn't see anyways in one "sitting."

Again, good thoughts...
Ryan

P.S. When did the IQ switch come out?

Patriot

Flashaholic
[quote Thanks for the input... and again, for a more technical answer, why does it reduce the light by 15%?
[/QUOTE]

I'm really not sure why it has so much more resistance, but has something to do with its design. I've never taken one apart, but I'll bet sombody on CPF has. Maybe to a CPF search on the I.Q. switch.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It will work on my old Arc LSL, but the output is hardly better than on a MiniMag. Maybe it would provide a long runtime, unless something is heating up. I only tried it long enough to see if it worked.

Geoff

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I've owned the IQ switch for about a week now, I have fallen in love with the thing. I absolutely think that the IQ switch is the best user interface that I've handled (granted, I've only hanleld Fenix, Arc, Gerber and Surefire)....My .03, Ryan

An incan MiniMag equipped with an IQ switch and a 3-LED NiteIze dropin module is just an amazingly useful light. The lower levels are actually decently low levels.

Sips very gently from its cells on high setting, and runtime on the lower settings is phenomenal. This setup will produce a very, very long gradually dimming but stil useful tail of light.

Great tasklight for camping. Great for illuminating inside a tent and for reading. Great for recycling used cells that will no longer run brighter lights.

There may be lights available that offer better runtimes and efficiency, but they're not as reasonably priced and commonly available in local stores.

The company that makes the IQ switch innards does offer a version without the auto-off feature. IIRC that version is offered on some of the ElektroLumens lights.

Latest posts