lubing orings under your lens/window?

luminata

Enlightened
Is it correct to try and lube (nyogel) the oring under most flashlight lens/windows? or should you just leave them dry? And if you should how do you all do it and not get lube all over the window and relector?

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I believe that lubing these o-rings can help with weather-proofing, and I lube mine. I use a very thin coating, and am very careful in re-positioning. Still, I frequently get lube on the glass, requiring me to re-clean and start again. Eventually, I get it right.

Frank

Techmedic

Enlightened
Pre-clean oring and window with isopropyl alcohol & Q-tips until prefectly clean. let dry.
Place a TINY bit of lube on clean fingers and gently pull the (pre-cleaned!!) o-ring through it. Wipe excess with paper towel. This is where using it sparingly is best.
Install oring, and wipe up any that comes off on surrounding surfaces. Use Q-tips for spot cleaning/removal.

I take a single sheet of paper towel and cut it into 12 squares for this purpose of wiping up. Kleenex tends to leave bits and fluff, so avoid it.

The oring when squished against a window, will look "wet" - this is how it should look if done properly.

Enjoy.

IanH83

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing you aren't talking about the eye gel google told me about when I searched for nyogel. I have been using something called Servisol Silicone Grease. Can anyone reassure me this stuff is ok for orings? (It seems to be working fine on the orings of various things such as L0D CE, L1, capsule lighter, pill fob "magnum" for spare SF123a etc.)

ganled

Newly Enlightened
So what would be a good general lube for all parts including the lens/window, o-rings, and screws? I've searched the forums but I can not tell which nyogel, or other similar procduct, to use.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what would be a good general lube for all parts including the lens/window, o-rings, and screws? I've searched the forums but I can not tell which nyogel, or other similar procduct, to use.

Buy a tube of dielectrical grease (spark plug grease, or tune up grease, same thing) from your local car parts store, will last you a long time.

Personally I use permatex dielectrical grease.

GregWormald

Enlightened
I lube all o-rings in my lights. I use some silicone grease that I bought for swimming pool filter o-rings. The pool is long gone but the 4 ounce tube of grease goes on and on.
I suspect that any o-ring grease from a plumbing supply place should work just as well.
I prefer a fairly soft grease and notice that such a grease was included with my LiteFlux LF3.
Greg

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Lots of discussions here about lubricants. Search these forums using the words "grease" or "lubricants" and open the threads with 3 or more pages.

I think the key to lubing the o-ring under the lens (which I totally agree with, by the way) is patience and cleaning your hands with soap and water halfway through the procedure.

As stated, take the lens assembly apart, roll the o-ring in lube in your fingers so just a fine coating remains. Carefully place the o-ring into position inside the lens housing. Then wipe your hands, carefully wipe down the outside of the light to remove all traces of lube that might have gotten on there ... then carefully wash your hands with a powerful soap or mild degreaser to remove all traces of lube from your skin.

Now, make sure the lens is 100% clean and carefully drop it into place.

Screw the bezel back on and you're all set.