When In Doubt, DEFINITELY Check The Batteries!

S4MadMan

Enlightened
I remembered all the posts about the 5W LS Lambda MegaClopsSE being super bright. Well, when I received my MegaClopsSE it was bright, but not 5,000+ Lux bright, only 3,500+ Lux bright. Still brighter than anything else LED I had. I thought something was wrong with my Light Meter but all the other LEDs checked out about right.

Maybe my MegaClopsSE just wasn't as bright as everyone elses...well yesterday at Ted The Led's, it seemed really not up to par so I checked again today and saw 2,500 Lux on the Light Meter. I had fresh batteries at the start and only used it for about 30 minutes so the batteries couldn't be dying...maybe I got a set of bad batteries...what are the chances? Naaaaaaaw, couldn't be. Well, I humored myself and installed a new set of batteries and WOW!!! It is *MUCH* brighter. The Light Meter confirmed it, 5,900+ Lux! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif That's a new record for an LED on my Light Meter!

My SL-20X is still a bit brighter at 6,700 Lux but 5,900+ Lux for a LED is incredible.

So the moral of the story is when in doubt, put in some new batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I agree very much !!!!
every now and then I see some of my button cell LedLensers go dead after only a few minutes of runtime, and each time it was one of the tiny cells that was dead or leaking. when replaced, everything was fine again ...
even my McGizmo 5W RB E2e dropped dead after only about 30 minutes, and it was ... a BAD SF 123 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Casio watch (weather station) had the batts die for a second time (normal runtime. I bought a pair at Radio Shack and replaced them. It did not work. I took it to a friend of mine, who is a local jeweler and gemologist (common ground and reason for friendship - gemology). He found that one of the batts was quite weak. problem solved and I will take it to him from now on.

Other one was Legend LX 123s: of the pair that came with mine, one was weak.

You never know. I always try to keep extras on hand. Even spent $10 for a pair of Eveready 123s when I bought the LX.