dead head

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
The head of my arc aaa has died !?!
Any ideas if it is possible to revive if so how ? Its defiantly not the case or contacts I tried connecting a brand battery directly and no light comes out :(.
Before it died it has been being odd, turning on fine then dropping to a really low output after a few seconds.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Bottom line - send it to Arc! Peter is usually so fast with his warranty, that it won't be gone for long at all. :thumbsup: If you're a member of this forum, hopefully you have a backup or ten, just for situations like this! :laughing:

john

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
how long is the warranty ? I have had it a while and it will have to come all the way from the UK

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
That's usually not a question that gets asked! It certainly didn't for me!

However, since you're in the UK, you're right - maybe trying to troubleshoot first it would be worth it. :shrug:

I hope you get 'er figured out, mountainpenguin (I like the name!)

john

greenLED

Flashaholic
The head of my arc aaa has died !?!
Any ideas if it is possible to revive if so how ? Its defiantly not the case or contacts I tried connecting a brand battery directly and no light comes out :(.
Before it died it has been being odd, turning on fine then dropping to a really low output after a few seconds.

MP - try cleaning all contacts (including the bottom of the tube). Rubbing contacts with a pencil eraser does wonders in the cleaning dept. Then use alcohol and a clean paper towel to wipe all contacts (again, bottom of tube, inner threads, head's threads, contact on the head, etc.).

If that doesn't work, then you're probably looking at a faulty ground connection. Remove the foam donut off the head. Clean the underside of the crimp with a needle or a really fine-tipped screwdriver. Hold the head at 30º over a phone book and then using a hammer tap the crimp ring down. Work your way around the head. In my experience, that should do get your light to work again.

If *that* doesn't work, then break out a larger flat-tipped screwdriver, position the flat end of it onto the crimp ring and then tap the screwdriver with the hammer. You'll make an indentation on the crimp. Repeat a couple of times around the head.

If that doesn't work... well... :candle: send it back to Peter.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Arc.
Did you have any luck reving it with help of instructions like GreenLED posted?

Khaytsus

Enlightened
MP - try cleaning all contacts (including the bottom of the tube). Rubbing contacts with a pencil eraser does wonders in the cleaning dept. Then use alcohol and a clean paper towel to wipe all contacts (again, bottom of tube, inner threads, head's threads, contact on the head, etc.).

If that doesn't work, then you're probably looking at a faulty ground connection. Remove the foam donut off the head. Clean the underside of the crimp with a needle or a really fine-tipped screwdriver. Hold the head at 30º over a phone book and then using a hammer tap the crimp ring down. Work your way around the head. In my experience, that should do get your light to work again.

If *that* doesn't work, then break out a larger flat-tipped screwdriver, position the flat end of it onto the crimp ring and then tap the screwdriver with the hammer. You'll make an indentation on the crimp. Repeat a couple of times around the head.

If that doesn't work... well... :candle: send it back to Peter.

Ha! This knocked off the potting on the bottom for me, exposing the ring you're talking about.. My 5-years-dead Arc AAA is puking out some blue light.

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
WOW I just got a replacement in the post.
Fantastic service.
I do have a suspicion after closer examination of what went wrong.
There is a hole under the foam. I have recently had it attached to my caving suit whilst going through a duck in some fairly abusive conditions. The mine is pretty acidic. Normally I wouldnt have been in the water for long but this was a photography session. So i wonder if that was related. Having said all that i have not been able to find any indication of water in the head or body and it didnt die till about a month after the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.