Lumapower M1 quit working

96TL

Newly Enlightened
Well, my 4 month old M1 quit working on me a few days ago. I tried new batteries, and even replaced the switch, but neither had any effect. It must me the LED, or maybe a solder joint on the circuit board. I e-mailed AmondoTech, but haven't received a response yet. Does Lumepower have any sort of warranty? I expected it to last a little bit longer.

Thanks.

Last edited:

CTR

Newly Enlightened
also check that the lense part of the torch is fastened tightly, I find that if its not it can switch the light off. But I do have aluminium lubricant on my threads tho.

96TL

Newly Enlightened
Well, I had the light working a little bit by turning the head back and forth, but it died on me again. It wont turn on no matter what I do now.

I e-mailed Lumapower, and they told me to either return it to main headquarters in Hong Kong, or back to a local dealer. So I called Amondotech and they told me they do not accept warranty claims. This is BS. If Lumapower is willing to honor a warranty claim from a dealer, then why won't Amondotech assist me? I don't think its even worth paying shipping to Hong Kong for an $80 light.

I might just toss it and order one of the new Wolf-Eyes Thunder tri-cree lights as my torch, and a small single AA Fenix for my pocket. Not sure which one, whatever is brightest I guess.

Too bad, I really liked the M1. It had great throw and good color. I amazed a lot of people with it.

Dom

pilou

Enlightened
I would be interested in hearing from other Lumapower dealers about how they intend on handling warranty claims. The information was a little hard to find, but it seems like all Lumapower lights are warrantied for one year.

Amondotech indicates on its site that it would honor warranties on LED lights for 30 days only: AmondoTech warranty. It seems like Batteryjunction was a similar warranty. Does this mean that if a $35 Lumapower light fails in say 100 days, we have no choice but to ship it to Hong Kong? Obviously, that is not worth it.

96TL

Newly Enlightened
Thats exactly the case. I will never buy a Lumapower again just because of that fact. A product without any manufacturer support (besides across the globe!) is not worth buying IMO. I wish I would've known that before hand.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to give LumaPower the company a chance to make good on their light. They have been very good with responding to problems in the past.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
Hi TL96,

you should blame Amondotech, not Lumapower.

Ricky from Lumapower was very responsive and helpfull in the past, and still is.

Check the M1 sales thread part1 and part2 and send email, or pm .

Dobbler

Enlightened
Hi TL96,

you should blame Amondotech, not Lumapower.

Ricky from Lumapower was very responsive and helpfull in the past, and still is.

Check the M1 sales thread part1 and part2 and send email, or pm .

Exactly. Lumapower stands behind their products (except for the rejects that showed up on DX, and rightly so). It can't cost more than a few dollars to send the light to HK. I've sent a few items to China and HK over the past week and it was never more than $5.

If you're just going to toss the light, send it to me (and I'll PayPal you the shipping amount when it arrives) :) Heck, I'll give you $20 for it on top of the shipping.

Back to the original post... I had a similar experience with my M1 and it turned out to be bad batteries. Have you tested your batteries with a voltage meter? Have you tried CR123A primaries?

96TL

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys, I will send it to Hong Kong. I do not mean to trash Lumapower, I just hate the fact that they dont have an US based offices.

I'm gonna get a Wolf-Eyes anyway. ;)

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your M1. I can tell you though a warranty on a item is with the manufacturer, not the retailer that sold it to you. The retailer would have an exchange or return policy that will vary, but in the end, the maker of the product is who gives you the warranty. The only exception I can think of would be an extended warranty which a lot of retailers sell. It does stink that you have to send it to China :(. The big question is how much will it cost and how long will you be out of a light? Maybe they will actually pay for the shipping to them??? You never know until you ask!!:wave:

Mike

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
96TL - try loosening the head a bit. We've found if they're overly tighthened they push the reflector down on the light engine and can cause an issue similar to what you are reporting.

+1 to what mikekoz just said above; it's the manufacturers warranty, not the dealers.

That said, and some of you are already aware of this, but at BatteryJunction.com we have a special arrangement with LumaPower and we handle all of our own customers warranty service, for the original purchaser during the warranty period. (That sounded way too lawyerly - you get the idea.)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this mean that you will not assist in helping in the warranty since he bought it from AmondoTech?
96TL - try loosening the head a bit. We've found if they're overly tighthened they push the reflector down on the light engine and can cause an issue similar to what you are reporting.

+1 to what mikekoz just said above; it's the manufacturers warranty, not the dealers.

That said, and some of you are already aware of this, but at BatteryJunction.com we have a special arrangement with LumaPower and we handle all of our own customers warranty service, for the original purchaser during the warranty period. (That sounded way too lawyerly - you get the idea.)

pilou

Enlightened
Does this mean that you will not assist in helping in the warranty since he bought it from AmondoTech?

Why would he??? He is not his customer. Unless batteryjunction becomes a distributor of Lumapower lights, I don't see why they would service other dealers' customers.

96TL

Newly Enlightened
This is a great forum. Lots of helpful people here. Again, thanks for the help everyone. I'm gonna send it out this week. It sucks not having my light. You don't realize how much you use it until its gone. Sounds silly, but its true. I need a backup now. ;)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightguy and Batteryjunction are my two favorite dealers to do business with. Simple reason...they both provide great customer service. You might be able to find something (rarely) for a few dollars less somewhere else, but is it worth it?

I think it is better to establish a long relationship with a couple of dealers. You build up credibility with them, and they with you. Then you will have no worries for customer service.

Thanks for the heads up on Amondotech...I was looking at one of their H.I.D. lights. I will shop elsewhere now.

brad

96TL

Newly Enlightened

That worked at first. I thought it was fixed. I left the light off for a bit, but when I tried it later on it was dead again. I don't know what happened. I tried loosening it, tightening it, no effect. I made sure the reflector was in tight, it was. The LED was loose (I could hear it rattling), but tightening it didnt do anything either. I replaced the tail switch with the spare, no effect. I even tried different batteries, no effect. I feel like theres a bad connection somewhere or the LED circuit is toasted.