Malkoff Mag D drop-in install troubles.

xoltri

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Malkoff drop in for my 3D flashlight. It works great and I love it, but it won't go down far enough into the flashlight body due to the bulb stand inside of the flashlight. This means that for me to focus the flashlight to a tight beam I have to nearly take the head of the flashlight off.

Below is a picture of the part circled in red. It is where the light bulb fits into in a unmodded Mag flashlight. The lightbulb holder moves independantly of this stand.

Is there anything I can do to make this mod drop further into the flashlight? Maybe I can take it apart and cut that stand shorter?

problem.JPG

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have D before serial# .....but i think you dont have the malkoff pushed in far enough, use your fingers and press or some needle nose pliers to squeeze the holes to compress the heatsink and push in

xoltri

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for those pics. Mine looks like the one on the right. I have tried and tried tapping it in and using needle nose pliers but it won't go any further. Maybe it's catching on something else... I'll try again tonight.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes its catching ...the driver is hitting the cam notch on the tower , just twist the heatsink in the opposite direction then it will go down further

Gene43

Enlightened
I just spotted this thread. I'm glad you got it figured out. This won't be an issue on the newer heatsink, as the driver is mounted internally.

Gene

JamisonM

Enlightened
yes its catching ...the driver is hitting the cam notch on the tower , just twist the heatsink in the opposite direction then it will go down further

Thanks for those pics. Mine looks like the one on the right. I have tried and tried tapping it in and using needle nose pliers but it won't go any further. Maybe it's catching on something else... I'll try again tonight.

I personally don't think the driver's hitting anything. Here's a picture of how mine looks installed.
drop.in.distance.jpg

As you can see, there's a decent gap between the cam shaft and driver on the inside of the heatsink. Unless your driver is really sticking out (and I mean REALLY) it shouldn't be catching on anything. The only thing that should be stopping the heatsink form going down into the maglite tube is the came shaft. I can tell you though, that the heatsink is a very tight, but secure fit for the maglite's tube.

If you want the drop-in to go further down into the tube, cut a bit off of the top of the came shaft and that should give you a few millimeters. Don't cut too much off though, leave enough for the little hex screw that sticks out. You can gain a few more millimeters by cutting a bit off the bottom of the metal tube that slides up and down (supported by the spring) inside the came shaft. Don't cut too much off though as you still want enough for the small hex screw that stops everything from falling out of the cam shaft.

That's a few ways to get more space, but personally, I wouldn't do it. When I install the heatsink, I push it all the way down to the cam shaft and pull it up to just above it. IMO, a maglite has two focus setting, tight and useless. With Gene's drop-in, the spill is so bright from tight focus that I don't need the doughnut setting.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont see the cam on yours...you have to factor in some may have more goo build up than others , its the only logical thing i see getting in the way but none the less the easy solution is to face the heatsink in the other direction

JamisonM

Enlightened
i dont see the cam on yours...you have to factor in some may have more goo build up than others , its the only logical thing i see getting in the way but none the less the easy solution is to face the heatsink in the other direction
Here two more pictures. The one to the left is the switch resting on the heatsink. The one to the right is the heatsink resting on the switch.
stock.switch.on.top.and.bottom.JPG

I see what you were saying now. The hex screw could, but I still think it unlikely. These aren't made by machines though, so it's not impossible. How far down is the driver located on you heatsink and how far does it stick out from the wall? You could do the same thing I have done here. take the drop-in out as well as the switch and put the two together like they would be installed. That should give you your answer.

xoltri

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help! I managed to get it in properly. I took it all out and compared it the pics here and my heatsink doesn't have the driver on the outside of the heatsink as Gene said, it is all inside I guess.

With more confidence that I wasn't going to smash anything I used a bit more force and it went in that extra 1/4 inch, and now it is perfect. I guess the reason for my concern was that it went in easily until it was flush but then it felt like it wouldn't go any further.

Anyway, I love this drop in, and I will be ordering another when they are avialable for my Dad. He was pretty impressed by it.

Latest posts