Angryfox        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman Skeletool

Flashaholic

Default Leatherman Skeletool

Man, this new lightweight multi-tool by Leatherman looks sweet. Link to preview by Popular Mechanics below.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4221370.html

--
    Currently carrying: Novatac 120P

Default Re: Leatherman Skeletool

Yeah, I think there's quite a few of us looking forward to this one...
    That article has great pictures by the way, the best I've seen so far.

Yes indeed! Can't wait!
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

The perfect weekend multi-tool.
    Opens beer bottles, the carabiner clips to a belt loop, vest etc, has removable/replaceable bits, pliers and a 154CM knife (CX model) They even throw in some carbon fiber bling!
    Found it online for $80 pre-order (carbon fiber/154CM CX model) so the price is not utterly insane. For camping, I'll still take the Charge Ti for the saw, file, scissors, serrated knife and pry bar (flat blade)
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I like the look of this.

Skeletool CX (has a cerated knife).

Skeletool.

I want one....
    "When Armageddon comes, it would be good to be an Olympic athlete, because running real fast and jumping over stuff could come in handy." -Jack Handey

This looks awesome! I think this could be my first Leatherman .... actually im pretty sure it will be... i think im in love hahahaha

Where would you say would be the best place to buy a leatherman online?

*Flashaholic*

I've bought my last few from Amazon.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Unfortunately they dont ship overseas, i think im just going to have to wait.... which is sooooooooooo hard! oh well... i guess ill just have to get another flashlight to help me get by...

Flashaholic*

From what I can see the carbon fiber on CX is just a piece of decorating insert, other parts are just plated black that will get scratched and look ugly. What do you guys think?

Local B&M store has it in their catalogue for $71+tx, still debating if I should get one. But I already have a wave thou.

No I think the carbon fiber is actually a working part. In some of the pictures it looks as if it is actually a peice of the spine of the side handle. And for 80 bucks I cant see why anyone shouldnt get one. The finish will most likely be type II ano but I can always hope it could be HAIII

On the leatherman site its called tungsten DLC coating and I believe benchmade has that coating and it comparable if not better then HAIII

Flashaholic*

It's stainless steel handle, you can't have anodization on stainless, well you can but that's called rust.

The tungsten coating from what I can find is basically a vapor deposit of tungsten with hardness of RC70.

Haha yeah didnt see that it was SS but maybe I was wishing it was the new 7071 aluminum...I think thats what its called...

Are these out yet?

Flashaholic*

Very limited quality it seems, some people ordered from amazon got theirs, my local store says mid march.

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    Very limited quality it seems, some people ordered from amazon got theirs, my local store says mid march.
    Is Amazon shipping the CX or just the regular model?
    It's not that life is so short, it's that you're dead for so long.

Flashaholic*

Regular I think, no one I know of has CX yet.

Edit: These guys have 16 in stock as of right now.
    Last edited by jzmtl; 01-30-2008 at 09:30 PM.

I like the CX for the serrated knife which sucks now. I will have to drop more $$$ for it. I don't care for the carbon fiber.

These look pretty cool, but for my needs as a backpacker, the lack of a saw is something of a letdown. At 5.1 oz, I am wondering if the weight benefit is really worth it vs. my 6.8oz Juice XE6. Plus, if I'm going to head out sans-saw, I am pretty comfortable using my 2.0 oz Squirt P4. I only use the pliers for operating a stove, so the full size pliers aren't THAT key to me. Additionally, it appears to have some things that aren't that useful to me. I don't really want to carry a Leatherman clipped by a carabiner, for example. I keep mine safely secured and zipped up!

For *my* needs, this is ALMOST a home run, but I feel like it's a bit on the heavy side for what it offers compared to the Squirt and Juice series. I am somewhat tempted to try to mod one to replace the knife with a saw. I carry a couple of other knives anyway.

Remember, these comments are specific to backpacking where I am ALWAYS looking for a way to save an ounce without sacrificing (too much) functionality. I had high hopes for this one, but it's not looking like perfection to me. The quest goes on!!!

I would love to see Leatherman produce something similar but slightly smaller with no bit system, no carabiner and with a saw that comes in at right around 4oz.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

I've been waiting for these also.
    Maybe the CX...
    I use a Wave now. The saw does come in handy.
    www.mallardspring.com Fenix Flashlights & Survival Tools
    Adventure Medical Kits Dealer
    CPF Specials webpages/dealers

Looking to buy one soon, anyone here get one? Just wondering how easy/fast can the blade be accessed? It says one handed operation, but does it work as well as a folding knife?

Flashaholic

Here is a review I came across with plenty of pics http://skeletool.tommunch.com/

--
    Currently carrying: Novatac 120P

Quote Originally Posted by segan View Post
    Here is a review I came across with plenty of pics http://skeletool.tommunch.com/

Thank have been reading reviews I found using google, but never saw that one. VERY useful! Guess what my new multitool will be ?

Well if anyone wants to buy a skeletool Moontrail.com has 2 in stock. The one I ordered should come today so im keepin my fingers crossed.

Enlightened

It looks like "most" places have a limited supply of the Skeletool.
    The Skeletool CX, however, is still not out. Hopefully it will be shipping soon.

Steve

I just got my skeletool.Id say the quality is excellent.The tool feels pretty durable.The bit driver I would say is better than the waves. The bits lock into place well and the extra bit stays in very nicely.The blade is about the size of the waves but it curves more and is a little smaller.The blade is about the same sharpness as the Waves. The pliers are not as durable as the bigger Leathermans, but they seem more durable than the juices.The pliers give a nice click when opened. The carabiner is very springy. I havent tried it on a bottle yet but it seems that it would work well.The pocket clip is pretty good but could have been a little sturdier.
    All in all, Id say the tool gets a 9 out of 10 for me. I'd also say its the nicest looking tool in the whole leatherman line.

Flashaholic*

I ordered one last week from a dealer who said they had it in stock. Hopefully I'll have it in a few days. I've got a half dozen or so Leathermen and look forward to trying out the Skeletool too.
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

I just picked one up from the Cabela's in Hammond, IN. Overall, a nice tool. Haven't gotten to play with it much yet (picked it up on the way to the auto show and just got back). First impression, though, is that it's a winner.
    The only easy day was yesterday... now go run!

Enlightened

A few weeks ago I bought a Charge ALX and a Skeletool CX. They had the Charge in stock, but backorderd the Skeletool (as expected).
    Their website shows "available mid February", so I called them to be sure they still had my order - and to see if there's any update on when the CX would be available.
    ... They told me that there's been a recall of the CX due to some problem with the handles. No further info is available on either the recall or when they'll be shipping. So, it looks like availability of the Skeletool CX is up in the air for now.

Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast