Leatherman Skeletool

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I think there's quite a few of us looking forward to this one...
That article has great pictures by the way, the best I've seen so far.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The perfect weekend multi-tool.
Opens beer bottles, the carabiner clips to a belt loop, vest etc, has removable/replaceable bits, pliers and a 154CM knife (CX model) They even throw in some carbon fiber bling!
Found it online for $80 pre-order (carbon fiber/154CM CX model) so the price is not utterly insane. For camping, I'll still take the Charge Ti for the saw, file, scissors, serrated knife and pry bar (flat blade)

merkaba

Newly Enlightened
This looks awesome! I think this could be my first Leatherman :D .... actually im pretty sure it will be... i think im in love hahahaha

merkaba

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately they dont ship overseas, i think im just going to have to wait.... which is sooooooooooo hard! oh well... i guess ill just have to get another flashlight to help me get by...

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I can see the carbon fiber on CX is just a piece of decorating insert, other parts are just plated black that will get scratched and look ugly. What do you guys think?

Local B&M store has it in their catalogue for $71+tx, still debating if I should get one. But I already have a wave thou.

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
No I think the carbon fiber is actually a working part. In some of the pictures it looks as if it is actually a peice of the spine of the side handle. And for 80 bucks I cant see why anyone shouldnt get one. The finish will most likely be type II ano but I can always hope it could be HAIII :D

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
On the leatherman site its called tungsten DLC coating and I believe benchmade has that coating and it comparable if not better then HAIII :D

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's stainless steel handle, you can't have anodization on stainless, well you can but that's called rust. ;)

The tungsten coating from what I can find is basically a vapor deposit of tungsten with hardness of RC70.

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
Haha yeah didnt see that it was SS but maybe I was wishing it was the new 7071 aluminum...I think thats what its called...

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very limited quality it seems, some people ordered from amazon got theirs, my local store says mid march. :sick2:

IcantC

Enlightened
I like the CX for the serrated knife which sucks now. I will have to drop more $$$ for it. I don't care for the carbon fiber.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
These look pretty cool, but for my needs as a backpacker, the lack of a saw is something of a letdown. At 5.1 oz, I am wondering if the weight benefit is really worth it vs. my 6.8oz Juice XE6. Plus, if I'm going to head out sans-saw, I am pretty comfortable using my 2.0 oz Squirt P4. I only use the pliers for operating a stove, so the full size pliers aren't THAT key to me. Additionally, it appears to have some things that aren't that useful to me. I don't really want to carry a Leatherman clipped by a carabiner, for example. I keep mine safely secured and zipped up!

For *my* needs, this is ALMOST a home run, but I feel like it's a bit on the heavy side for what it offers compared to the Squirt and Juice series. I am somewhat tempted to try to mod one to replace the knife with a saw. I carry a couple of other knives anyway.

Remember, these comments are specific to backpacking where I am ALWAYS looking for a way to save an ounce without sacrificing (too much) functionality. I had high hopes for this one, but it's not looking like perfection to me. The quest goes on!!! :twothumbs

I would love to see Leatherman produce something similar but slightly smaller with no bit system, no carabiner and with a saw that comes in at right around 4oz.