Prometheus        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman Skeletool

Default Re: Leatherman Skeletool

I just got mine yesterday and love it! Paid $64 shipped for a CX model and intend on carrying this lightweight with me everywhere.

I thought the blade would be a little bit bigger, but it opens easily with one hand.

I will probably have zero use for it at work since Im behind a computer all day. But hey, we here like being prepared for everything

I've been carrying my Skeletool CX since shortly after the Shot Show, and I am surprised it has basically replaced my Charge Ti as my EDC multitool. I initially thought I would miss all the extra features of the Charge, but have been able to do just about everything I need with only the Skeletool. The weight is much less and since I carry it in my jeans pocket, I hardly notice it. I'm not about to totally shelve my Charge Ti, but for most tasks, I think I can do with the Skeletool. I really like the extra bits I bought as they do come in extremely handy for special fasteners, so I may have to carry them around in a different pouch.
    RadarGreg
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier. If you can read this in the dark, thank a Flashaholic."

My CX literally arrived 10 minutes ago. It is well made, opens easily one handed, and a few openings and closings of the pliers made them work beautifully i can't wait to carry this beauty around with me
    Register your Smart PD(D10, D20, EX10) at the official registry
    To prevent catastrophes, please make sure that brain is online before mouth moves.

Super Moderator

My folks sent me one for my birthday but it hasn't arrived yet. I am hoping tomorrow or Friday. It seems like the perfect edc for me. The low weight is my main attraction and away from home I don't EVER use more than a knife, screwdriver and pliars.

Happy belated Berfday DieselDave!

it's why I got mine, for the lighter weight, and light it is.

Shining on

Flashaholic*

I see you found a pouch for yours.

yeah, it came free with one of my GIU from smokey mountain, it's a cheapie but it fits

I will get better ones
    Shining on

Super Moderator

Been carrying mine for over a month now. Sliced a nice gash in my thumb with a one handed opening technique. I carry via my belt loop and barely know it's there. It is noticeably lighter to carry than even the Wave. Not nearly as strong as the Wave and not even close to some others. For it's purpose I am extremely satisfied.

Flashaholic*

Yep I still love mine, it's beating wave and vic spirit for my EDC tool.

I'm thinking thou if I should get a regular version in addition to my CX.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    I'm thinking thou if I should get a regular version in addition to my CX.
    No way, treat your CX like a rented mule and if you wear it out get another one.

Unenlightened

I'm looking for a multi-tool for a bug-out bag, and I have a hard time choosing between weight and features. I live in an urban environment so I probably won't miss a saw. I have a hard time imagining the tools I might use since I've never had a multi-tool before.

Does anybody have good suggestions as to wheater the skeletool might (not) be appropriate for an urban bug-out bag? I'm also considering the vic Spirit.

The Skeletool has become my off duty multi , the fit an finish on mine is as good as any Leatherman I have owned except my beloved Sideclip . Overall Im pretty happy .

Chris

I got mine for $10 @ Amazon!

It's not a LM for folks who do not have any LMs. I do and so this is a nice minimalist alternative for me.

It's not about to replace your Wave for a romp in the wilderness but that's not what the Skeletool is about IMO. It's light, unobtrusive and out of the way like a good EDC should be yet still features the trademark pliers that while diminutive, still has it over the smaller LMs in that it has full sized handles for more leverage. A Micra/Skeletool EDC would be perfect!

I myself see it as a better pocket knife that handily beats my Delica. The only time I could not carry it in the 48 hours that I've had it was while working out in the gym. I may have to EDC a light neck knife during exercise

Pics of things I EDC (with the new LM SKT)

Over Sized Image Removed
    Last edited by Unforgiven; 01-13-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    There are two kinds of people in the world. Those with a zombie plan and those who are dinner.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
    I got mine for $10 @ Amazon!
    Wow! That's a deal I'd like to get in on. I thought I did well getting a CX for $45 shipped.

Apply for the Amazon VISA and they knock $30 off your first purchase.
    There are two kinds of people in the world. Those with a zombie plan and those who are dinner.

My Skeletool has been a nice alternative to carry EDC, vs. my heavy Lman Tools.
    www.mallardspring.com Fenix Flashlights & Survival Tools
    Adventure Medical Kits Dealer
    CPF Specials webpages/dealers

Quote Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
    Apply for the Amazon VISA and they knock $30 off your first purchase.

For those that are considering it, you will be getting a hit on your credit history, might not be worth it for just $30.

Really? Won't increasing your available balance increase your credit?

Yesterday I helped my neighbor put together his new TV (4 screws for the stand) long before he found his screwdriver. His wife laughed

Got mine from Amazon UK. A little heavier than I imagined, but all round a lot better than I imagined too. Good price.

there's a post on the www.popularmechanics.com link commenting that the 420 blade on regular skeletool can't keep a good edge. is 420 blade that bad?

i know cx got a 154cm blade, but i perfect smooth blade for shorter blade length
    Let there be light.

question about amazon.

i was looking at the price for a skeletool cs on amazon

and their prices seems to be *floating*

the first time i saw it it was $52.xx, then they jack it up to $54, and now its $53.12??
    Let there be light.

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    question about amazon.

the first time i saw it it was $52.xx, then they jack it up to $54, and now its $53.12??
    The prices for some things change by a lot more than the couple dollars you found. If there's something I want, I try to watch for a while to see if the price stays the same or not and pick it up for the cheaper price if it is not steady.
    Brian

After getting an HDS, other flashlights seem much less relevant (Except for some of the really special lights found on CPF!)
    When things are really dark, a dim light for a long time is much better than a blinding light for a short time.

I have had one for about 5 months now and have to say I don't mind dropping almost all other tools except pliers, knife, and bit driver. It is now my EDC multitool and I still haven't managed to dull the knife blade.
    Flashlights Are fun. So are the inner workings.
    Electronics hobby site: http://www.uchobby.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lightingguy321 View Post
    I have had one for about 5 months now and have to say I don't mind dropping almost all other tools except pliers, knife, and bit driver. It is now my EDC multitool and I still haven't managed to dull the knife blade.
    i think freestyle is the one that you really want
    Let there be light.

I work in the theater, so I actually need the pliers as well as the screw driver (and all the extra bits). Otherwise I would have gotten a freestyle (cx)
    Flashlights Are fun. So are the inner workings.
    Electronics hobby site: http://www.uchobby.com

For those of you with a freestyle or the skeletool, is it possible to switch the pocket clip to the other side? I've wondered if it's possible to make it a bit more lefty friendly.

i don't think so

my LM charge can't
    Let there be light.

Best edc tool I ever had!

Flashaholic

Skeletool pocket clip can be repositioned to the opposite side.
    Fenix: TK11 | TK41 | LD20 | LD40 | PD32 | HP11 | MC11
    Spark: SL6-800CW | ST6-500CW Sunwayman: M10A Black Diamond: Spot
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    question about amazon.

You can copy the item link from amazon, and go to camel camel camel dot com ... paste your link, and have a look at the price change over the past year plus. A nice tool. I've had the skeletool since a couple months of release, and there is not a fault I can find with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast