1000 Lumen LED? (Or, I was bored last night)

merlocka

Enlightened
I've been thinking about tri and quad Cree mods lately, and been wondering how multi-LED beams stack up to brighter incans...

Then I was bored last night, starting at a bunch of AA lights I have. And then I grabbed some tape and rubberbands and went redneck (LEDneck?).

ln2.jpg

There should be ~1000 "LED" lumens in there. 4 Ultrafire C3's, DEX X.1, JB MKiix, REX (last 3 on 14500's), LM301, LM303, L1D CE, and a MRV in the middle. No HAII was harmed during the creation of this contraption.

So how does it stack up?

Here's a (heavily underexposed) reference pic. Surefire 9P running EO-9 with 2x AW 17500s. This is probably good for 200 torch lumens.

ln5.jpg

Here's the LEDneck:

ln7.jpg

Here's a WA1185 in my FM85:

ln6.jpg

Informative? Maybe not. Entertaining? Hopefully. Boredom cured? Yup.

ln8.jpg

djblank87

Enlightened
Looks like you had some fun :thumbsup:, you must have been really bored but hey at least you got busy with something and you gave us some pics.

merlocka

Enlightened
Looks like you had some fun :thumbsup:, you must have been really bored but hey at least you got busy with something and you gave us some pics.

I figured as long as there were beamshots I would be OK.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love people who experiment...lol That's great merlocka, I'd say you definately had 1000+ torch lumens there. And it's really quite bright IMO.
Them beamshots really saved this one...:grin2:

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
100Watt... 5-7000lm. I'm trying to get more info as I type.
Dave

n n Application
l Advertisement
l Indicators
l Back Lights
l Illumination

Characteristics
l High Power LED
l Lens Color : Water Clear
l Half Value Angle(2θ1/2) :160°
l Superior Weather-resistance
l UV Resistant Epoxy

n Directivity Outline Dimension

n Electrical Optical Characteristics
Item
Symbol
Min.
Typ.
Max.
Unit
Condition
Luminous Flux

φ
---
Lm
IF=1.4A
Viewing Angle
2θ1/2
---
---
Deg
Color Temperature

Tc
---
k
Chromaticity coordinates
X
---
---
---
Y
---
---
Forward Voltage

VF
---
---
V
Reverse Current
IR
---
---
μA
VR=10V

Please Refer to CIE 1931 chromaticity diagram

n Absolute Maximum Rating (TJ=25)
Item
Symbol
Maxabsolute
Unit
Power Dissipation

PD
W
Peak forward current(1/10 duty cycle,0.1ms pulse width
IFP
mA
Continuous forward current
IF
mA
Derating linear from 50℃
mA/℃
Reverse voltage
VR
V
Operating temperature range
Topr
-40℃ to +80℃
Storage temperature range
Tstg
-40℃ to +100℃
soldering temperature
Tsod
260℃ for 5 Seconds

Pulse width Max 10ms Duty ratio Max 1/10

n Optical Electrical Characteristics

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
Just heard from the company...
Thanks for your reply.
the price is :
465.30 USD/ Piece

Dave

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's surprising that the Mag85 still beats it. But then again those AA lights aren't all really pushing the LEDs as much as they can go.

Now if you can combine all the switches together so that it doesn't take you 5 minutes to turn on or off...then again, it's like 11-step variable brightness! =D

Illum

Flashaholic
the middle light might be suffering from unusually inefficient heat dissipation during the shootout with all those little rockets burning away beside it...

reminds me of the solid rocket boosters on the Atlas rockets:naughty:

Valolammas

Enlightened
Thanks for posting, that looks hilarious! :laughing:

Incidentally, I performed a similar but much more modest experiment last night with only two AA LED lights of similar brightness. I wanted to see whether two of them together would look twice as bright as one and they certainly don't. I was surprised how little difference it made.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It's surprising that the Mag85 still beats it. But then again those AA lights aren't all really pushing the LEDs as much as they can go.

Now if you can combine all the switches together so that it doesn't take you 5 minutes to turn on or off...then again, it's like 11-step variable brightness! =D

This was fun to see the experimenting, but that is what I would expect from that setup when projected on a wall, and not getting close to a Mag85.

First of all, most who use the default FM Mag85 without a HotDriver are not getting anywhere near the real Mag85 output, since so much of the current is sucked up by the resistance of stock parts. I had no idea how much more until using the HD and setting the Vbulb at the optimal level.

The other aspect that people do not understand when they add together the output of each individual LED is the overlap & scatter of their flood type beams. If you put them in an integrating sphere where every bit of light is measured within inches of the LED, that is one matter.

However once you move it to a wall projection, the 1185 (and most quality incan setups) have the concentration and throw advantage. From the color of that 1185 beam, either your batteries are worn down, or the color of the photo is making it appear to be much weaker than it should be.