hate to say it but apple hit a grand slam edited now im not a fan

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: hate to say it but apple hit a grand slam

I would say they hit a double or triple (to continue the baseball analogy) but not a home run.

I was expecting the touch to come with flash in a thin body but also come in a thicker body to allow for 80GB or more storage. But it seems they didn't want to sully the thin touch with a hard drive version. So the iPod Classic has to fill that spot.

The nano is a nice improvement as long as you don't mind the chubby looks. I was expecting there to be a 16GB version especially now that video is supported. But it seems they want to drive people to the touch to get more than 8GB. Which is too bad because I was waiting for 12 or 16GB before replacing my iPod mini, so that I could have my whole music collection with me.

So they have some nice products but it appears they purposely crippled some of them to drive people to buy the touch, and didn't give the video junkies who wanted a bigger screen (and lots of GB) an upgrade.

I would have liked a nano family with 4/8/16 GB and a touch family with 16/80/160 GB better. Then no classic iPod required. But we know Steve likes sleek :)

Greg

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

The thing in the article about the ringtone pricing is blaming the wrong company. The music companies are adicted to getting $2.50 for a ringtone (only) and they control the rights to the music. So Apple has to play along or lose access to the music. So $1.98 for the whole song plus the rights to select which 30 seconds to use as a ringtone is better than what others are offering.

Greg

Apple is the new Microsoft.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136949/article.html

Steve Jobs is the best salesman in the world.
Refrigerators to Eskimos.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

How does it work as a mini browser? That would be a useful tool to have.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

As well as the iPhone I guess, though the iPod touch has to be in a WiFi region to work. I don't know if Safari lets you store web pages for later viewing off-line (e.g. read CPF threads on the bus) like Internet Explorer does.

Greg

Last edited:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England

Apple is the new Microsoft.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136949/article.html

Steve Jobs is the best salesman in the world.
Refrigerators to Eskimos.

How *DARE* you *INSULT* His Steveness, calling *anyone* bill gate$* is one of the *worst* insults imaginable, Steve Jobs may be a jerk and an arsehole to his employees**, but at least he's not pure, unadulterated *EVIL* like gate$.

the Steveinator is a "suit" pure and simple, a glorified salesdrone, the real miracle workers at Apple are Jonathan Ive and the rest of the R&D crew and hardware engineers, oh, and Woz too, Woz is a true genius, even if he hasn't worked for Apple since the original Mac days, he's there "in spirit"

Jobs, meh, he's a figurehead, but he *certainly* doesn't deserve being *insulted* by associating him with gate$....

;)

Of course, the cynic in me believes that the iPod Touch is simply an iPhone in a slightly modified casing (no Microphone or proximity sensor) running the iPhone firmware/software with the phone feature disabled

I still want one, though, it's what I wanted when the iPhone was announced, an iPhone sans phone (I *HATE* phones)

*except bill gates, obviously

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

using any source for music to use as a ringtone is ludicrously easy. It's just a file extension, take any AAC encoded clip of music or sound or whatever and rename it with an ".m4r" and re-import to itunes and magically it's a ringtone. While you can still do this, it's against your EULA agreement for you to use music that you purchased from the iTunes store for a ringtone, that language has been on the list of things you're not supposed to do with it forever, which I've always thought was ludicrous. But the other phone companies have been making a serious killing selling ringtones for their phones, Apple's are actually less than half the price the other guys charge.

I too am waiting for the 16gig iPhone. Unfortunately Apple is already buying up more than their share of the flash memory out there to feed these things. There just isn't any more available at a price that you'd be willing to pay for an ipod. But that will change, it always does ;)

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i wonder who makes apple flash?since sandisk is a amker of flash and also makes mp3 players i wonder if that turns the tables for sandisk?.i love competition .

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if that will make the price of the current Ipod Nano's drop any? For Apple flash player's you're now going to have a choice of a very small but low capacity and no screen player or a player that is starting to resemble the regular Ipod in size. I know it's still quite a bit smaller then the regular but still pretty big for say gym carry or armband wearing.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

im suprised creative labs hast droped there price on the vision m yet.i mean its still the same price as the 80 gig ipod. and its only 30 gigs i love mine. but i like when stuff drops in price

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I wonder if that will make the price of the current Ipod Nano's drop any? For Apple flash player's you're now going to have a choice of a very small but low capacity and no screen player or a player that is starting to resemble the regular Ipod in size. I know it's still quite a bit smaller then the regular but still pretty big for say gym carry or armband wearing.

They are waiting until everyone buys the first release of the IPod Nano's. Then after a few months, they will drop 1/3 of the price, and give an Apple coupon for half that back so you buy more Apple stuff. Absolutely brilliant! :crackup:

A relative just bought the latest/greatest Apple laptop (I'm not a Mac-A-Holic, so I don't know the names/models), but after looking at it for over an hour, I was stunned at how every aspect of everything I saw went way beyond my wildest expectations.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apple often clears out old products through their refurb store. So if you keep an eye on http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...mm=browse&mco=989AF434&node=home/specialdeals you may see a price you like.

Greg

greenstuffs

Banned

bah another product with planned obsolence, i bet next yr they come up with a bigger, better and thinner ipod for the same price you then will feel the urge to upgrade... Is not like before when you buy a TV you expect it to last 10 yrs

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Next year will probably just bring more storage at the same price (16GB nanos and 32GB touches) and perhaps new colours. But the following year will probably bring new designs.

Portable audio players are a very competive market. If Apple didn't update them then other companies would take away all of Apple's market share with their new models. So I wouldn't call it planned obsolescene (since my 3 generations old iPod mini still works just fine), unless you are talking about the non-user-replacable battery in iPods :)

Greg

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apple products are badly overpriced.
If I had to buy a flash player right now it'd be a Meizu. More features, same quality, half price.
If Meizu concentrated more on marketing they'd be a serious pain in the butt for Apple.

But we already know the new products will sell everywhere. Apple could sell turds, as long as they were white and named "iS*it" half the world would buy them.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

just because there are other companies that offer a similar product in some ways for less money does not mean that the iPod is overpriced. I used to consider the iPod expensive but as you've already seen in this thread, it's now cheaper than similar products from companies that used to be cheaper too. THe iPod is a "premium" brand name product, you can certainly find others that are similar at lower prices if the feature set of the iPod isn't to your liking.

Apple has never been interested in the low end market of computers, or mp3 players. My wife finally retired her second generation 15g iPod. I'd replaced the battery in it once for her but I certainly got my moneys worth out of that, she used it for years daily and was always perfectly happy with it, never a problem. I feel like you guys are making me defend them when I wouldn't normally agree so completely with anybody ;) But planned obsolescence and regular price lowering of computer and electronics products is how that market has always worked. The computer you buy today is going to be replaced by a new model with more features at a lesser price next week no matter what you do or what company you buy it from.

havand

Enlightened

I really wish they would have left the speaker, microphone and camera in the touch. The ability to run 3rd party apps would have sold me, 100%. I have never bought an apple product and usually slam the company. I admire their hardware, but never really liked the company or steve jobs. The whole 'shuffle' fiasco really bugged me.

A touch with 3rd party apps and the things mentioned above, may have gotten me to buy an my first ipod. Just for reference, I currently go out of my way to avoid the ipod.

I think the touch could actually make a very slick pda style multimedia device, but they're going to have to open it up a bit for that to happen. Also, I was thinking, why didn't they just release the iphone, but edit the service so you could just buy a much lower cost data plan to use the phone's data and internet capabilities anywhere, but without the 'phone' part?