Need guidance on purchasing an LED flashlight

afbengochea

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Nichia Garrity LED flashlight which was given to me. I'm using it for now at work, but its garbage. I'm looking for a decent flashlight that I can put on my belt that can shine a good 20 ft. I would prefer something that I can get a replacement battery fairly easy and something small since I also have to carry a multi tool without it getting caught on things as I am squeezing through machinery. Something in the $40 range but would pay a little more if it was necessary to get me a great product. I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mini Mag 2AA led would work great they are usually around $25 dollars and rechargeable AA's would make it even better.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF.

I would say maybe a Rayovac Sportsman Extreme, $20-30 in most stores. Or perhaps this if you live near a Sams Club, $30 for two-pack. For a beginner, I would try and stick with AA batteries and maybe some AA rechargeable batteries to go with it.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind CR123A batteries I would recommend an INOVA XO. You can pick one up from Target for $39.99. This is a quality American made product with a lifetime warranty. I have several Inovas and they have taken pretty good beatings and never failed.

afbengochea

Newly Enlightened
Great recommendations so far guys! I was curious, how do these compare to lights like one of those tiny feni or an ultrafire or a cree one?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix and Ultrafire are brands, where Cree is a name of an LED emitter that both brands sometimes use. The two-pack from Sams is also a cree. It really depends on if you want to get them in a store, or order them online. www.fenix-store.com has free worlwide shipping with some very nice lights. www.dealextreme.com is a good sourch for Ultrafire, also with free shipping.

afbengochea

Newly Enlightened
I dont mind ordering it online, I just dont know which of these brands would be a better one over the other and was hoping someone can help me out. I like the size of the one I have (4.5 inches) but wish is was a lot brighter. I would even go with the cr123 batteries if it makes the difference between an ok and a great flashlight

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L1T v2.0 RB80. CPF member discoun code CPF8. Mini review here and here.
1xAA battery
Rear switch on off.
Tighten head for high 90 lumens.
Loosen head for low 15 lumens.
By comparason a 1 LED (5mm) light is 2-5 lumens.
A wee bit over your budget.

For less money you can get the UltraFire C3 Cree 1xAA 1x14500 Flashlight Review here or MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U Flashlight Review here.

Here is a comparison review between a bunch of AA lights.

I completely agree with this recommendation. Fenix keeps getting better and better. My L1T V2.0 has a wonderful tint and is as bright as my Novatac 85P on high. It throws a bit more than my Novatac too.

The 2 levels are excellent and it is waterproof as well.

paulsl

Enlightened
Try Olight T-20 at batteryjunction.com. They are excellent for $50. Can't wait for more lights coming from this manufacturer. Beam quality is pretty good and much more consistent than Fenix's. I still like and own several Fenix lights but they are more money and quality has been inconsitent (beam).
Good luck!

I currently have a Nichia Garrity LED flashlight which was given to me. I'm using it for now at work, but its garbage. I'm looking for a decent flashlight that I can put on my belt that can shine a good 20 ft. I would prefer something that I can get a replacement battery fairly easy and something small since I also have to carry a multi tool without it getting caught on things as I am squeezing through machinery. Something in the $40 range but would pay a little more if it was necessary to get me a great product. I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

Dr.K

Enlightened
I'm new at high end flashlights, but I have some and I agree with "go fenix"

The rebel led has a "whiter" profile than the cree, and IMO is worth the extra $$

Patriot

Flashaholic
Fenix L1T v2.0 RB80. CPF member discoun code CPF8. Mini review here and here.
1xAA battery
Rear switch on off.
Tighten head for high 90 lumens.
Loosen head for low 15 lumens.
By comparason a 1 LED (5mm) light is 2-5 lumens.
A wee bit over your budget.

For less money you can get the UltraFire C3 Cree 1xAA 1x14500 Flashlight Review here or MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U Flashlight Review here.

Here is a comparison review between a bunch of AA lights.

+2 on this idea for the L1T....simple, compact, bright, standard battery, great reputation. I nice step up from the $25 class of lights IMO.

afbengochea

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the help. I went ahead and ordered the fenix L1t. Now all I have to do it wait for it to get here to see it in action.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I ask which one, the Rebel 80 version or the Luxeon III version.
Yes, by all means make sure and order the newer version 2.0 with the Rebel LED. Much brighter and with better run time than the older Lux model. And if you've inadvertently ordered the Lux III model, simply call the store and I'm sure they will be happy to change your order before shipping it out.

afbengochea

Newly Enlightened
I purchsed the Fenix L1T V2.0 RB80 from the link LEDninja posted. It comes with the Luxeon Rebel LED

afbengochea

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I didn't want to take a chance on a crappy flashlight so I figure I should just go for the good stuff

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1T V2.0 puts out as much light (at least to my eyes) as my U2 but with a better tint. If it runs, as predicted by Fenix, for 1.5 hours on high, then I am truly impressed.

Equal output with better runtime than my 6 volt U2 on a 1.5 volt AA battery.

Simply amazing.

I think that you will be very satisfied with your choice.