SF 10X Replacement

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
When I need to be able to throw a big, bright beam, my 10X has always worked well. I had an M6 with a high output bulb at 500 lumens but would suck up the batteries fast enough that it was almost useless. But the 10X is big and klutzy to use and has a crappy charger, so with all the advancements in lighting technology is there a good replacement out there for it? It can either be LED or incandescent and has to be pretty rugged to put up with outside use. Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

iced_theater

Enlightened
Well depending on your budget, you could look at the Foxfury MF1000. They claim 4-6 hour runtime on 15 CR123 batteries. So it's probably just as expensive to run as the M6 is.

I also own a 10X and the only thing I wish Surefire or someone would do is build a new Li-Ion battery for it. I wouldn't care much about the weight if it ran on the 500 lumen bulb for 45-60 minutes per charge.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Borealis? ~1000 lumens, incandescent. Better runtime than the M6, rechargeable. The size is a 2D Mag, IIRC.

Or a quad Cree/SSC Mag mod, about the same lumens as a Borealis, better runtime, but harder to find/build.

supes

Enlightened
Only thing you need to keep in mind though, HID are bright as hell but they take some seconds to warm up to full brightness, so if your in an occupation that needs light as fast as that tailcap button hits the battery, then HID is not for you. But if you can wait for 10-30 seconds then no problem and more efficiency. This was the major factor for my decision not to go in the HID area yet.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think BurkStar is using the light for tactical purposes. If he was I would recommend a Surefire fore-end unit attached to either a M4/CAR-15 or a SA Socom II rifle. Then again I don't want to assume things.

I have had the M6 at a time and then recently got myself a 10X. I like the 10X because of the low and high options BUt the 10X has given me issues (got a lemon, had two low bulbs blow with VERY LIGHT USE (ie sitting on my desk/nightstand and just getting a feel for 500+ lumens whenever I get that 'urge')) and is going back to Surefire next week. It is as bulky as I want to go though. Thats why I didn't jump the gun and say one of these high powered modified Mag 3D set-ups. I have a Mag 2C running 2 X 18650's with a Pelican 3854 (or whichever ROP bulb) and although it comes close in brightness (in terms of hot spot to hotspot) to the 10X, the 10X just dominates the "wall of light" factor while the 2C ROP LE is a light saber (ie pencil beam of light.)

As supes stated, HID'd do have warm up time. Thats a reason why I didn't get an HID yet. I use my lights in short durations if something goes bump in the night. My EDC CR2 Ion and SF E2e has only been through 2 battery changes in the past year 1/2 + due to me just changing them and not them running dead, ahh the bright lights of NYC stops me from using my lights too often...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
:poof:ing the bulb is normal in high power incan applications, especially the "low" power SF bulbs (which actually run on the power of most normal lights - around 800-900 mA). Thats why some kinds of softstart are built into their lights by modders, at least the ones who had some :poof:ing already.
Unfortunately the industry is very slowly starting to enter such into lights - it adds cost and complexity to, till now, "dumb" ;) incans.

That said, I always wonder who likes to tote around such big and heavy lights and no runtime lights all the time. From the SF line, the only good rechargeable ist the 9N, if one wants throw, get the turbohead. Even with it, its still small and light. Sure not this bright than the awful looking 10X, but when such kind of output is needed, why not use the cars high beam?
The 9N features a removable battery, so one could get a much better than the stock one, thats another big neg. for the 10X.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow, 9 times out of 10 I leave my car at home and walk my butt the 3/4 of a mile to the bus stop. Also parking around school (Manhattan) plus the cost of gas/wear and tear on my car doesn't add up to a good value. I have a unlimited express metrocard (like a pass for the subway) for $41 a week. Parking alone for 1 days is $45 (along with 40 mile round trip and $15 in tolls.)

I rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I like the HID's but am having second thoughts about the warm-up time. Even though it doesn't give a description of the bulb, I'm assuming that the Bear MagLite conversions are HID? Although there are several LED's that fit the bill, I'd really like to keep it to $500 or less.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I like the HID's but am having second thoughts about the warm-up time. Even though it doesn't give a description of the bulb, I'm assuming that the Bear MagLite conversions are HID? Although there are several LED's that fit the bill, I'd really like to keep it to $500 or less.

Just to be sure, the 10X works reliably; but is too big and bulky for you. And you'd rather have a light with a better charger. Does the charger work though? I'm just trying to better understand your situation.

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
To me, its more awkward than anything else, but the comnination of the weight while pushing the button at the rear doesn't really make for a good set-up for someone with small hands like myself. The charger, although it works, sucks...you've got to play with it everytime you charge to get a good contact. When I first got it, it came with three batteries, one used and two new. When I first started having problems I thought the batteries were going bad and sent them back to SF. They were sent back with a note saying the batteries were fine. I've cleaned the contacts on both the batteries and charger, but still have the same problem. Sometimes they charge and other times they don't. If I loved everything about the light I'd send the charger in to SF but since I've got the other issue I'd really rather just find a replacement. Also, weight itself is not a factor (within reason) if the switch is easily accessed...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm surprised at the number of few alternatives to the 10x Dominator that are out there. There's Surefire's own M6, but it's not rechargeable.

Other than going with a HID light, or specifically a Borealis model, there's not much out there that can compete with a 10x.

Here's 2 possible alternatives though....

A Pelican 3850.
http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=3850N

(A Lead Acid version is available also).
It's more of a lantern, and I'm not sure about pricing. 600 lumens, but Pelican doesn't measure it's lumens numbers from out the front. So it'll actually be less than that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Elektrolumens QuadStar Phazer.
http://elektrolumens.com/

(Just scroll down the page a bit).

Looks to be about the size of a 10x, but a bit thicker. 720 lumens, but again; not sure about pricing.

I checked, and these were the only models that haven't already been mentioned as possible alternatives to a 10x. (Well, the only ones I could find).

Honestly, if you don't need a light that immediately turns on, the instant you hit the switch; I think your best bet in terms of price and performance is a Borealis model. Hope this helped.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were in your shoes, I would buy a Milkyspit Project-M light.

They are custom made mods which are available in a number of configurations. You can choose a host, and output up to 876 lumens.

Have a look at the possible configs here: http://www.milkyspit.com/i/img-m-runtimes.gif

Their build quality is reputed to be second to none.

You also could go the mag mod route (including black bear mods) if you wanted.

Last edited:

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
Those do look impressive! Quite a few different configurations, but how do you figure out the Lumens from that chart?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just thought of this model today.... G&P R500 Scorpion.

Rated for 500 lumens, but not out the front. It got a very high score on flashlightreviews.com, where the lumen output out the front was about 400 lumens. It's rechargeable and quite a bit less money than a 10x.

If you're willing to live with 100 less lumens, this might be a good choice.... especially since It's not a HID! Light turns on, full blast; the moment you hit that tailcap switch.

Here's the review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_scorpion_r500.htm

If you're interested, here's a site that sells it. (But I have never purchased from them).
http://www.matchstickglobal.com/index.php?cPath26_29

*Both links courtesy of CPFer jpmblok. Found on this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/175568