Windows Xp help needed!

kev1-1

Enlightened
OK...I have set it up so that each user can access the internet (all using the same sp and username, phone number e.t.c) however I'm stumped! Who ever uses outlook express gets all the e-mail downloaded and the other users can not get access to it. Can it be set up so that the downloaded e-mail can be shared by all the users (i.e the family)?

Any help welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
eluminator said:
Does everyone share the same email address?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes...they do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
This is the one and only time in my life where I would ever type these words... "Get AOL".

I have AOL only because that allows each of us to have our own email addresses with privacy... Although I do know my kid's passwords... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some if not most ISPs now will let you have multiple email addresses as well. I would think that is the easiest solution.

From the discussion of your problem, I assume each computer has outlook express for the mail client and then if one person gets the new messages, it will go to the particular computer that is accessing the mail only. It will be interesting if someone has a solution. The only thing I can think off the top of my head if outlook has a separate file for the inbox and sent items (I'm more familiar with Eudora), then you could only designate one computer to get the mail and share out the folders to the rest of the pcs.

I have the dilema at work when checking my personal email thru the web, so I just tell it to keep the mail on the server so I can view at work but it is only downloaded to my home computer.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try this:

From Outlook Express click tools > accounts > properties > advanced. Then select "Leave a copy of messages on server."

This is from Outlook Express Help. To see it click Help > contents and index > index. Then type in pop3 accounts. POP3 accounts should be highlighted in the list. Then click Display > Store messages on a mail server > Display

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Kev1-1,

I am using Windows 2000, and agree with what eluminator suggested.

We have a computer at home and I use a laptop on the road. We are always checking email and had the same problem you have noticed. I set the "save a copy option" and also had an option on how long to save the copy. Mine is set for 14 days. My internet provider allows me 25 MB of storage for emails, and unless there is heavy graphic use, I have not had any problems using these settings for several months now.

Tom

Anarchocap

Enlightened
But, leaving the messages on the server also means they are going to have to be deleted by somebody, and then how do you know when others have or haven't read the message?

The best way to deal with this is like geepondy suggested. Get separate e-mail accounts. Most ISPs provide for 4 - 6 e-mail addresses per account.

kev1-1

Enlightened
<font color="red">THANK YOU!</font>
I will try the suggestions of eluminator & Tom, and if that doesn't work well, then I will look at getting more e-mail addresses! Thanks for taking the time to look things up...I tried myself but didn't find that solution /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, computers are getting powerful in terms of the things they can do, and the options that are available. It almost takes a PhD in clickology to navigate through the help files to find what we need.

Thank God for the mouse and windows (I don't mean MS Windows) though. Otherwise we would have to spend our lives thumbing through printed documents.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I have dial up for $9.97 / month with 10 email accounts with which I stay logged on for days at a time sometimes. And you don't have to lauch Software with tons of graphics that slow down your dial up. I have nothing against snAOL but sheesh, $24/month? That's over $280 a year! vs $119 for mine. That's an A2 + 2 doz SF123s a year you can buy with the money you save LOL.

I also have 1.5mps DSL with 5 e-mail accounts. Most ISPs allow for multiple e-mails, you have to set up your different e-mail addresses though, and you can assign different passwords to each so it is private.

There are great Lessons at: www.jefflevy.com , click on the "Lessons" link towards the bottom.