anybody getting sales calls on their celly?

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've been getting a a few in the last week.

i got this fwd to my email. may just give this a try. has anybody been getting sales calls lately?
has anybody try this yet?

_all cell phone numbers_ are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.* *_ _**_YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS_*To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: * 888-382-1222 .*It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time.It block s your number for five (5) years.***You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked.*You cannot call from a different phone number.HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.It takes about 20 seconds. ** **

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to donotcall.gov the 800 number listed by the OP is indeed the correct number. You can also sign up at the site I've posted. It DOES take some time to filter through the system and get to all the agencies, so don't expect an immediate difference. I haven't gotten any calls on my cellphone, but I used to get a lot on my landline. Registered above and within a month they all stopped. Note that you have to re-register your number every 5 years.

:buddies:

paulr

Flashaholic
The do-not-call list sounds like a recipe for disaster. A list of live phone numbers that go to real people. It's almost like a do-not-spam list. I get a few robocalls on my cell sometimes and it bugs the crap out of me, but I think I'd get more if I let me number on a list like that. Best is just be careful about disclosing your number. If I could get a 20 digit phone number (makes it near-impossible to war-dial) I'd get one and anyone needing to call me often could just put it in their speed dial.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
it takes about 31 days to register according to the number i called. on the 32nd day you can file a complaint using the same number above. except the other day i got a private number sales call. i thought it was my mom calling me so i answered. it was some automated phone call sales.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my home phone, been using a TeleZapper for years (sends a "disconnected" number beep when any phone/answering machine picks up in your home)... Works great. Been getting 3-5 hang-up calls a week from a telemarketer or two (your financial institution wants to reduce your interest rates on your loans...), but even those seem to eventually go away.

May get only a few times a year when a telemarketer gets through (can also cause local emergency agency call/notification systems to disconnect too). You can disconnect it from the phone line if you are expecting hurricane/etc. warnings via automated phone calls in your area.

-Bill

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Don't most cell phones have caller ID? Just don't pick up if it's unknown or blocked ID. We've been doing that ever since we got caller ID on our regular phone. Nice not to have to deal with chimney cleaning salespeople or real estate agents. ;)

On another note, who decided to release cell phone numbers to telemarketers? There's zero reason they should have access to those. Frankly, there's zero reason why telemarketers should even call non-business numbers.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The do not call registry works fine. I registered when it first started several years ago -- all my numbers, including cell, and my parents. I had to re-register (on line) a couple of months ago and it did take our cell numbers.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I might register my cell number just incase. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do so. Its free and i do every once and a while get people calling me on my cell phone (telemarketers)