Cree, Rebel or Seoul output
Surefire Tough
Clickie/Twistie?
Can run on a rechargeable (preferable)
Two levels of brightness (preferable)
HAIII (preferable)
Lifetime Warranty (preferable)
Under $50-75

I want to give a Surefire L1 type light, only in AA, for Christmas presents to employees this year and I'm having a heck of time finding this light.

Are my expectations to high?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Wanted: Best AA LED Light

I've yet to see a 1AA light built to Surefire quality specs (and I've reviewed a lot of them).

The Fenix L1D (Cree or Rebel) or L1T v2.0 (Rebel) are probably your best bets. David (aka 4sevens) provides excellent service through fenix-store.com (including all warranty repair).

The Lumapower 301 is a very solidly built light as well. Ricky from lumapower was very quick in handling my warranty claim, and MattK is known for good service through batteryjunction.com.

You can check out their comparative performance here:
LF5, Rex 2.1, LM301, DX X.1, C-LE, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNTIMES

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The Maxlight would probably be the most expensive AA light with the best build but it is a semi custom light with only one mode and a $100+ price-tag.

At your price range, I would recommend the Fenix L1D-CE, L1T v2.0 or the Lumapower LM301.

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened

+1 for the Lumapower LM301 with a NimH AA. I don't have a Fenix 2 mode AA light, but I can say that I always go for the LM301 over my Fenix P2D (5 mode I think w/ CR123) whenever I require a general purpose flashlight.

With that said, you can't go wrong with either the LM301 at around $35 or the L1* lights from Fenix.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree on the Lumapower LM301 as being one of the contenders. Also one of the Fenix flashlights already mentioned.

You may also want to check out the Jetbeam C-LE v1.2. This particular light has been out of stock. But, we got some info. posted here that news about this light (maybe a revised and even better version?) should be coming up within a week. So keep an eye out.

democopy

Newly Enlightened

I guess my choices are narrowing:

Lumapower LM301
Fenix L1D
Fenix L1T v2.0

Do both Lumapower/Fenix offer "lifetime" warranty?

Any compelling argument to chose one over the other?

Best place to purchase Lumapower/Fenix?

Thanks Again

democopy

Newly Enlightened

Mundele

Newly Enlightened

I too would consider the Jetbeam C-LE. I have the original one (1.0) and there's a new clicky one coming out. I think the official announcement date is Sept 10.

I don't know about lifetime warranties.

--Matt

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire really should jump onto the 1 AA format and produce a top quality light. With the new LED's killing the output from the P60's, they can indeed offer these lights as tactical if they wanted to.

I really like what Fenix is doing, but I would kill for a Surefire 1 AA w/2 levels... you know... kind of like the Fenix L1T V2.0 but not a Fenix.

For what it is worth, I have an L1T V2.0 and I think it rocks. I just can't put it in my pocket when I have McGizmo's and Novatacs competing for the space. Now a Surefire 1 AA would find it's way into my rotation.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

IMO, the only lights that work on AA and that are in the same price league as Surefire are the Peaks. Be prepared to spend more than 50-70 USD as these are not cheap.
A Surefire E1L, very comparable to a Peak Mediterranean is 99 USD, where the peak goes for 109 USD + 10USD for the 2AA battery tube.
All Peaks that work on 1 CR123 cells, can be fit with a 2AA body. Furthermore, on 1AA, there are the Kino Bay, Pacific and Kilimanjaro. (Kilimanjaro might be too dim in this case).

Kind regards,
Joris

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumapower M3 has been one of my favorite lights. It has a nice HA-III finish. Has been utterly reliable, Works with either 1xaa, 2xaa, 1xcr123a and any voltage combo from 1.2v to 4.2v. So lithium AA's work as well as 14650's and rcr123a's. With the turbo head, it puts out decent throw and with the stock head it produces a medium spot and fits neatly into pants pockets.

paulr

Flashaholic
Democopy, you can't get a Surefire L1 for anywhere near $50-75; why do you expect to get an AA light of comparable quality for that?

Anyway the closest you're likely to find in terms of build quality are probably the Peak lights. The Fenix L1 series don't come anywhere near close despite what the Fenix cult says. I think they offer their Kino Bay model with a Seoul led. I know they set up the Pacific (an overcomplex design IMO) with Seouls. I don't know if they have a 1AA two level model.

The other concern I have is you seem to be thinking of high output lights, but in a 1AA format is to make things easier for non-flashaholics. The trouble is they will try to run the light on alkaline batteries, which will perform terribly in a high output light. The only cure is to include some NiMH cells and a charging system along with the gift. The Sanyo Eneloop 2AA setup with the small charger is probably the best choice.

The other and maybe more sensible choice is to just stick with a low output, 5mm type of light. The Peak Kilimanjaros are nice if you want 1AA. For 1AAA they have the Matterhorn series plus there is the CPF favorite Arc AAA. These are not eyeball scorchers but they are long-running, highly attractive and practical lights that aren't fussy about batteries. Frankly I'd go with this approach, especially since the 1AAA format is much easier to EDC.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

IMO, the only lights that work on AA and that are in the same price league as Surefire are the Peaks. Be prepared to spend more than 50-70 USD as these are not cheap.
A Surefire E1L, very comparable to a Peak Mediterranean is 99 USD, where the peak goes for 109 USD + 10USD for the 2AA battery tube.
Kind regards,
Joris

The Mediterraneans are not cheap but the stainless steel Med with the 2AA body is built and weighs like a tank. The cost is expensive but there is another way.

Get the Peak Pacific ($49.95) and use the optional single AA body ($10). It is a twistie and has an optional momentary tail switch option ($10?) Just checked their site and they don't list the stainless steel version although the other lights offer that configuration. It is also available in brass for very smooth twistie action.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello again,

Paulr may be very right by suggesting to take the 1AAA ARC-P instead. Better for edc/keychain.

Should you want a 1AA Peak, take note that they can be had in Aluminum, stainless steel, brass and the Pacific also in titanium (149.95 USD)
A brass Peak, though heavy, is quite an eye-catcher.

Kind regards,
Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
The Mediterraneans are not cheap but the stainless steel Med with the 2AA body is built and weighs like a tank. The cost is expensive but there is another way.

Get the Peak Pacific ($49.95) and use the optional single AA body ($10). It is a twistie and has an optional momentary tail switch option ($10?) Just checked their site and they don't list the stainless steel version although the other lights offer that configuration. It is also available in brass for very smooth twistie action.

Hello BentheadTX,

A Mediterranean is $$$, but it has the quality that justifies it... (Just saw that a Novatac 85 is at 110 USD and it is a multi level. So, in fact, the "mighty mediterranean" outprices not only the Surefire, but also the Novatac... makes me proud to have one !! :party:)

Do you have any idea of the lumens output of a recent P4 Pacific? I have an "old" luxeon HP and sometimes I wonder if it would be a good idea to get a newer, P4, Pacific as well.

Kind regards,
Joris

paulr

Flashaholic
I have an SSC Pacific HP in titanium and would estimate it in the 20 lumen range on a lithium AA but only about half that on a NiMH AA. I think the dc/dc converter may be out of spec and I've been meaning to contact Peak about that. HP means "high power", which is actually the 2nd lowest of the power levels available for this light. They also offer Ultra and Super power versions. The Ultra probably runs ok on an alkaline AA but the Super might really want a lithium. The HP's measured current draw is about 210 mA from a lithium AA and 145 mA from a NiMH.

The Pacific's reflector makes a fairly light beam, giving this light good throw for its output level, but I think I'd prefer a wider beam since low powered lights are primarily for close-up use. Goatizzle asked about a textured reflector for it, which might be more suitable.

IMO the Pacific is too complicated a light and the Kino Bay looks more attractive to me, though I haven't tried one in person.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

democopy;2144159[FONT=Arial said:
Do both Lumapower/Fenix offer "lifetime" warranty?[/FONT]

Any compelling argument to chose one over the other?
Best place to purchase Lumapower/Fenix?
Warranties are rather limited when dealing with Chinese manufacturers. However, Fenix and Lumapower are among the best of the bunch.

Fenix offers a "limited lifetime warranty" where repairs are free but you have to pay for parts. That being said, 4sevens typically will just replace a defective light (including sometimes lights not even purchased from him). Not sure over what timeframe after purchase, though.

Lumapower has a one year full warranty - you just pay to ship it back to them, and they will repair and return to you at no cost.

I've delt with both on warranty issues, and both were as good as their word. But of course, part of what you pay for with a Surefire is that full lifetime warranty. :)

I agree Surefire would do great with an AA product, but I suspect use of "common" batteries would be perceived as taking away from their cachet of being a "superior" product (with a pricetag to match).

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire really should jump onto the 1 AA format and produce a top quality light. With the new LED's killing the output from the P60's, they can indeed offer these lights as tactical if they wanted to.

From your mouth to Paul Kim's ear. Would love to see a nitrolon style light.