Inova T4 or Pelican 7060 LAPD

Mad1

Enlightened
Help a newb out. I've not got much experience with lights that use in-charge systems.
I've heard good things about both of these lights but naturally can't afford to buy both.
The outputs/runtime are similar so whats the "real-world" difference?

Which company offers better support for accessories/warranty?

Which one you you go for and why?

Thanks. :)

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T4 uses outdated Luxeon/K2 technology. The Pelican 7060 uses the current Cree technology. The T4 was great a few years ago but is now outdated unless Inova updates to the Luxeon Rebel 100. Lights that use the in-charge systems are a favorite of those who use the DC charger & charge it in a vehicle, use it & then charge it again, ie; police, fire, rescue, etc.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Inova T4

The Pelican 7060 is very nice. Especially if you want a tailcap switch on your light. But it's still as yet untested in the real world. Inova's T4 has been out there long enough to be proven as reliable & tough. I have an older Inova T4. Works well. Inova improved the light this past year by getting rid of the TIROS optic, and replacing it with a conventional reflector. This gives the light better side-spill. An already good rechargeable light was made even better. I own several Inova lights, never had to use their Customer Service dept. because all of my Inovas are trouble-free. To be honest, I own 2 Pelican models. No problems with those either. Given a choice, I'd let the other guy test out the latest flashlight model. Then, buy it or leave it based on his experience with it.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both of these. I bought the older original Inova T4 with TIROS optics for my wife a year or so ago. I just bought the Pelican 7060 LAPD for myself this summer. So like Monocrom suggested, I am the other guy. Although the published outputs may be similar, the real world experience shows me that clearly the Pelican 7060 is much brighter and has much better throw. I guess I really don't know if Inova or Pelican is better than the other for warranty because I have never had an issue with either one of them. From what I have read from others, either company is very good for support. So if I were buying again today for myself, I would clearly select the Pelican 7060. However, brighter isn't always better for every application. Since my wife usually uses hers for her work as a school bus driver to check under the hood and around the house and in her van, the Inova T4 is perfectly adequate for that.

Mad1

Enlightened
Thanks guys I'll go with the Pelican 7060 :)

I think it'll be better in the winter too because of its polymer body instead of metal.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an older TIROS T4 which is a great light, i love mine
its a bit big for EDC, but works great as a small duty light for security or delivering pizzas (i have done both jobs with it)
mine has been modified recently with a piece of diffusion film that was taken out of a broken LCD monitor, now the beam actually has a reasonable amount of spill and is more useful for close in tasks
if i get a new car soon the charger will be mounted in the new vehicle

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a 2007 K2 reflector verion of the Inova and sold it because it wasn't bright enough for me. I also have the Pelican 7060, I am currenty carrying it on duty at night as LEO. It has a better beam and runs well. Pelican also has fantastic warranty service (their warranty covers everything but shark bite, bear attack or children under 5.

Mad1

Enlightened
LOL, no your comparison of the T4 2007 to the LAPD.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I too have the older T4 and have replaced it with the Pelican 7060.
You will love it. And it looks cool too.

If you don't like it let me know how much you want for it :nana:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican is a far and away better (or at least brighter) light than the new T4. I say this as a true Inova fan. (although a truely disapointed one right now) I still hope now that other American companies like Pelican are starting to make Cree lights, Inova-Streamlight-PT&UK will get their acts together and make them as well.

I would love to see Princeton Tec turn their 3x3watt lux dive light into a 3x3Cree dive light for around the same $100.00. How cool would that be?!?!? I would also love to see a Inova T3,T4&T5 Q5 cree lights. Get it together Inova!!!

Russianesq

Enlightened
Some pics.... always need pics :D

7060-T4-002.jpg

7060-T4-C2-002.jpg

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't call the T4 outdated.

For uniformed carry, it's a better light.

My 7060 already had dents in the plastic body, the plastic lens/window is scratched enough to produce beam artifacts, and the pointy heatsink makes belt carry almost impossible, and these fins will shred clothing.

My T4r, though not as bright, has survived much better and has been in service a lot longer than my 7060, and it can be carried on my belt w/out issues.

--dan

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't call the T4 outdated.

For uniformed carry, it's a better light.

My 7060 already had dents in the plastic body, the plastic lens/window is scratched enough to produce beam artifacts, and the pointy heatsink makes belt carry almost impossible, and these fins will shred clothing.

My T4r, though not as bright, has survived much better and has been in service a lot longer than my 7060, and it can be carried on my belt w/out issues.

--dan

I just received my 7060 today and have it on the charger. Initial thoughts are exactly as above.

While I like how bright the light is, the balance seems "off" to me very front or top heavy.

I want something in the Gladius size with Cree brightness.

Mad1

Enlightened
Lol stop it you two you'll put me off. ;)

I doubt that will concern me really it wont be carryed on the belt just in my hand for brief usage.

It will be in my car and I hope to get another charger for my house.

dano is the lens replacable? i.e. with a UCL?