L5?

Rusty Toyota

Newly Enlightened
I had an E2e a while ago and couldn't afford to run it so it was sold. Now I'd like to get another bright light with some decent throw and LED preferred. I went through a couple of lamp assemblies pretty quickly because I was running them for 30 minutes at a time or so. Also it would be good if it didn't get as hot as the E2e.

Would I be happy with the L5? I think I'd buy from batterystation.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
If you're on a budget, have you seen the new G2L and 6PL? Not quite as bright as the L5 by their lumen rating (they are 80 lumens initially and a bit less when ran constant on). But they are a fair bit cheaper (you could buy about 3 g2l's), and you'll get a similar, if not better battery life than the L5 (somewhere between 3 and 12 hours). Certainly brighter, and substantially longer life than your e2e imho.

Also, if feeding SF123's are an issue for you, maybe check our the Fenix line of lights, because they have some small and bright ones that run on aa's. I've never seen or tried them, but they are an option for cheaper and more available batteries.

Don't get me wrong, the L5 is a great light. But it will be substantially bigger than your e2e, yes it will be brighter and maybe have a bit longer runtime, but it is a fair bit more expensive and also you'll be stuck with sf123's. I don't have a problem with sf123 price and availability, so most of my lights run on them. I think you'd be better served with a G2L, or if you're a "Metal Guy" :) a 6pl.

Someone might be able to recommend a rechargable solution for the L5, i don't know. I know i'm trying to see if pila 168's work in the g2L

Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The L5's head is significantly bigger than most LED heads I've seen. I'd say it's almost big enough to qualify as something you'd find on a small full-sized flashlight.

Unless you prefer pocket carry, like I do, chances are you'll be happier with a G2L or 6PL. (Even though they both put out 20 less lumens). They're less expensive too. I've seen L5s selling for $215 at some places.

The other thing is, even with pocket carry, you have to be mindful of not snagging the L5's head on something. The clip is positioned quite a bit lower than on an E2e. On an L5, nearly half the light is head! Living in NYC, I've had tons of folks bump into or even slam into me. If my cellphone was attached to my belt with a clip, rather than belt loops, it would have hit the ground far too many times to count!

Still, if you're willing to put up with the added bulk, an L5 is one LED with good throw. But yeah, unless you'll be carrying the light clipped to a pocket; you'll be better off with a G2L or 6PL.

I have an L5 and I like it a lot. I run it on one 17670 rechargable Li-ion battery, which makes running cost nil. I also have an L6, which is quite a bit larger, and the L5 has a better beam pattern and seems to me a bit brighter.

I am not sure of the history of why the L5 was developed, but I believe that it was intended as a combat or police duty light. It is certainly well made and gives the impression of being sturdy. That is an important quality in a light to me.

If you are a person who is sensitive to size, then the comments about the size of the L5 head will be important. To me, on the other hand, the L5 is not that much bigger than a 6P. It is bigger, but the difference doesnt make a difference -- at least to me.

In terms of cost, although the L5 is more expensive than any number of other possibilities, I regard it as cheap, because to get similar service from another LED light, I think you would normally have to go to a custom light, which would be more expensive still.

bill lafferty

flash_bang

Enlightened
I was thinking about getting an L5, but I'm waiting for the KX5.
Any idea when the new gen will come out?
Thanks,
Flash

Mad1

Enlightened
I was thinking about getting an L5, but I'm waiting for the KX5.
Any idea when the new gen will come out?
Thanks,
Flash

I'm afraid it's not at least thats the last we heard it was put on permanent hold.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wont go wrong with an L5, Nice output pattern useable spill and bright centrespot. Works with P17670 lit-ions for low cost running. Its a nice size and can be adapted for pocket carry. I had one but sold it to get a Milky L6......

NickDrak

Enlightened
Another good option would be to try to find a good deal on a Surefire M2, and get a high quality (Malkoff, BugOutGear) CREE drop-in to put it it. In my opinion, the Malkoff unit has the best reflector of all of the drop-ins currently available.

Just dont insult the overall quality of the light by putting a DX (DealExtreme) drop-in into it.:sick2:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hey!! I am a dyed in the wool SF guy and I am running a DX 1447 drop in in my 6P with A19, and two 17500's. My SF is not insulted. LOL.

Bill

NickDrak

Enlightened
Hey!! I am a dyed in the wool SF guy and I am running a DX 1447 drop in in my 6P with A19, and two 17500's. My SF is not insulted. LOL.

Bill

Im sure if it had a choice, it would rather have a drop-in from a company that did not also sell blatant Surefire counterfeits that come with identical SF engraved logos and serial numbers:thumbsdow

Thats right damnit! I talk to my Surefires, and thats what they tell me!!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well I must not lie. My KL5 is not happy about the DX being in the house. My KL6 is not even talking to me!!! No complaints from the 6P (it never cared for the puny P60).

Bill