Look for Light to use in the Army.

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
I'm look for a light to use in the army. the light has to be 1x123 size. and have low and high beam white. Low around 1 Lumens and high 65+.

Any suggestions? modded L1 ?

Leif Molina

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
hows the function of these lights ? something like fully depress button and you get max lumens and half depress and you get the programmed setting ?

need something thats easy to use. not have to click to many modes to get the light setting i want.

Leif Molina

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
hmm.. none so far really fits my need. the Light is going to be used in the army on the special operations side. so i need to be able to turn on the low setting without having to browser through other settings first and giving up my location. maybe i have to look for 2 lights. maybe a tritium map reader and a bright like a l4 ?

Leif Molina

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
Also i want the low mode to be 1 lumens or lower. color white. i find i hard to read maps in red lights.

Leif Molina

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
hows the function of these lights ? something like fully depress button and you get max lumens and half depress and you get the programmed setting ?

need something thats easy to use. not have to click to many modes to get the light setting i want.

Leif Molina

Leif,

The Novatac is more complicated than what you described above.

You might want to look at the new Surefire L1 w/the Cree LED in it. The high is 65 lumens for 1.5 hours and the low is 10 lumens for 15 or so hours. This light is very easy to use and has a very nice beam that throws a good distance.

If you don't mind spending a lot of money on a flashlight, you might also want to consider a PD-S or an S27-PD from McGizmo. This light also has the interface that you mentioned and the lows are closer to your requirement for 1 lumen. These are fantastic lights and are regarded by many on CPF as the finest available (I believe that they are).

Additionally, if you don't mind waiting for an unknown amount of time, you can get the functionality of the PD-S or S27-PD with the added benefit of being able to select the 2 levels of light from Arc. I think that this light is still being called the new Arc LS. I intend to get one of these when they are available but nobody knows when they will be available.

Finally, I would urge you to keep the Novatac in mind. The user interface is not as simple as you described, but it is intuitive and easy to use and learn. The tactical model is even simpler to use. I believe that the Novatac is currently the finest "production" flashlight on the market today and I would select it above Surefire's current offerings.

Good luck deciding.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leif,

I just read your signature line and I realize that you already have a number of very nice lights including Surefire's offerings.

As a result, I would recommend the PD lights from McGizmo. They are nearly perfect even if the low is a bit brighter than 1 lumen.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If not for the 1 x 123 requirement, the Gladius would probably be a good choice. Low is around 1 lumen (manufacturer specs = 0.8 lumens) and full blast is just a tailcap twist away.

2 lights might also be a good idea, like you suggested.

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
The NovaTac 120T would be good.
120P would be better (more versatile), IF you don't recieve one with buggy firmware or flickering on low which some people including myself have experienced.

Here are some good candidates:
- LumaPower LM303
Simple and straight forward, 1st click "low", 2nd click "high"

With 5 modes or more:
- Fenix P2D
- Fenix P1D
- LiteFlux LF3

Deepdog

Newly Enlightened
the light I'm looking for in this post is not for me. I'm asking for a friend.

Leif Molina

boosterboy

Enlightened
The SF Cree L1's simple switch is a good idea for light discipline but the L1 is still under revision.

Novatac is kinda complicated for use under duress, unless you train with it.

Mad1

Enlightened
Depending how much you want to spend...

Milkyspit ML-1
Surefire L1
Surefire G2L

Novatac and other 250,000,000 mode lights arnt gonna be great in a life or death situation.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get him the Novatac 120 T. Tell him: 1 click maximum brightness, 2 clicks lower brightness, 3 clicks minimum brightness. Hold button for momentary.

If he needs minimum brightness first, hold bezel firmly against leg and click 3 times. Check light under scalloped bezel to ensure minimum brightness level. Or carry a dedicated stealth light such as Photon Freedom covert.

Nothing too complicated here for a Nordic commando.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Try the Surefire Kroma Milspec. It has a low light/high light, plus, red, blue, yellow-green and IR for all your black ops goodness.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the light you want is the ML-1 (as was suggested by Mad1). This is a very rugged and easy to use 2 stage Surefire L1 which has been modified by CPF member Milkyspit. I believe he offers an extreme low level option along with the choice of what kind of beam you would like and your choice of Seoul or Cree emitter. Time may be the only issue, as he is often very busy.... but I'd send him a message and explain your situation and requirements and see if he can help out. His work is exceptional:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2068490&postcount=183

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac 120P is the perfect light. I have mine programmed for 1.3L, 15L, 60L, and 120L. The UI doesn't get any easier or more convenient after you have it programmed than this. 1 click = 1.3L. 2 clicks = 15L, 3 clicks = 60L, Click, press = 120L. You can access any of the levels any time you want without having to go through any of the other levels. And you can program any 4 of the levels anywhere from .08L up to 120L. It doesn't get any more simple or convenient than this.

The only other suggestion I have for a simple low/high with easy to use switch is the L1 as modded by milkyspit(Scott). I plan on letting him mod both my L1 and L2.