Anyone here own the SmartFire M-504C ?

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Anyone here own this light? Information on it runs from scant to scarce to non-existent.

I was wondering what kind of runtime and light output it has? With it running on 4 Cs I'm thinking it must run a failry long runtime. Anyone know if it's regulated?

The desc. says it has a Cree XR-E LED emitter. Is this a decent quality emitter?

Pls. pardon my ignorance. I just bought a Ray O Vac 4w/3c and turned it on last night at 9. It was still runnning with pretty decent light at 12:30pm today.

So I'm wondering what the SmartFire M-504C can do with 4 C batteries.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I just received mine, and agree with the Review of the LUX V version of this light. As soon as I go it I swapped out the CREE Star with a Q5 from Kai. Not much brighter.... This light on high is not as bright as one of my Mag 2Ds modded with U bin SSC and a 700mAh 3volt DX driver board... The beam is very smooth and even from the orange peel reflector. The switch is a momentary with detent which could switch on pretty easily if jostled. I recommend unscrewing the tail cap a couple of turns to prevent accidental turn on when stored in a car or being transported.

Overal a very nice light which should have incredible run time (I am assuming given the apparent drive level). The light is very sturdy and heavy which is either good or bad depending on your preferences or uses. My conclusion is that this light is a bargain at DX for those looking for a well made multilevel light with very long run time. My only reservation on this light is that I wish they would drive the LED harder on high to take full advantage of the multilevels.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I did a abreviated runtime test on low setting. Using 4 Titanium Brand NiMh C cells (about five years old) I turned this light on low and left it for 28hours doing ceiling bounce test. Turned it off after 28 hours even though it was still bright enough for easy navigation around the room. It looks like the driver isn't regulated given the very gradual dimming. I can also confirm it doesn't use PWM for dimming (used the old point at the ceiling fan test). I started to do a runtime test on high but the head started to get a little warm after an hour and I didn't want to take any chances on frying my brand new light....

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
I will probably get this light somewhere down the road, its on my wish list at DX, its just there are so many lights. Currently the M-504C is a bit low on the technology curve, if it were offered with better (more efficient) electronics and a Cree R2 bin led or SSC P7 I would have already ordered it.