DFiorentino's "VERY BLUED Dam Cham"

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Just delivered this to DFiorentino.
Got to give it to him in person...since he also lives here in Baltimore. It's not too often that I get to actually meet with someone local, who's into flashlights...as well as other assorted "Toys for Boys"... Made for very enjoyable conversation, while we sat at the newly opened Starbucks, just 1 minute from my house.

This is actually the 2nd time I've refinished this particular DC. DFiorentino purchased it from the original owner...who had apparently decided it was time to find it a new home. The light had obviously been handled a fair amount (lovingly, I'm sure), and some of the color had worn down a tad in a few spots. So that's how it wound up back with me.

To re-color this, I had to strip off all the old color, and re-sand/re-buff/re-polish. Between the first refinish, and this go-round, this DC now has a seriously lustrous finish. In addition, I tried something a little different and ended up with a deep blue unlike any of the previous Dam Chams that I've done. It is a VERY deep blue!

The pics give you a fair idea...But as usual I couldn't begin to capture the actual jewel-like finish. In these photos the finish looks almost flat when compared to the real thing:
DamiensDC-2.jpg

DamiensDC-butt2.jpg

I know that DFiorentino has some nice lights in his (sizeable) collection... Hope he's happy with this one.

BTW- I also just refinished a Raw Da for him. It turned out wayyyyy nicer than it was when he gave it to me (in its original state)... Very shiny. :D But the photos I took just didn't do it justice. So instead I'll let him comment about it (if he chooses).
wink.gif

Dennis Greenbaum
cool.gif

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! :eek:oo: That is a deeper blue alright and it looks very cool indeed! :cool:

Fantastic job once again Dennise! :twothumbs

Ken

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
MorpheousT1... Yeh, except I'm gonna be doing something a bit different with your Dam Cham.
wink.gif

Dennis
cool.gif

That could be my Dam Cham he was talking about or been the DC in the pic?!? :(

Dennis, one of these days I would LOVE to have you do some of your "Magic Work" on a light for me. :)

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
MorpheousT1 has his Dam Cham en route to me (all the way from Norway). Until now all the Dam Chams I've received, I've refinished and Nitre Blued. We're gonna try a different treatment for MorpheousT1's DC.

Whatever I do with it...I promise it won't leave my shop until it's a "killer"...

minigunbig.gif

Dennis
cool.gif

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
BRING IT!!!

:cool:

Which reminds me...it needs to arrive first.Dangit i knew i should have fired up my private jet and delivered it myself.

:laughing:

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Someone in another forum asked me to go ahead and post my pics of the Raw Da that I refinished for DFiorentino. So I guess I'll post them here as well.

I was a little bit hesitant to post these... They simply do not give an accurate representation of the final finish...It is actually very shiny...And these pics don't convey that. These photos also suggest a lot more contrast than what is actually there. No matter how I setup the photo lights, the light shining across the etched areas makes them appear darker than they are...
Anyway, here goes:
DamiensRawDa.jpg

DamiensRawDa-2.jpg

This shot in particular (below) is far different that what it looks like in person. It's much more polished in person...
DamiensRawDa-Butt.jpg

Dennis
cool.gif

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little late to the party, but I can't thank Dennis enough for the work done to these lights. Words can't describe the level of craftsmanship involved.

Here are my attempts from behind the lens...

dsc0854rp4.jpg

dsc0843hg0.jpg

dsc0857uj1.jpg

Thanks again Dennis! :thumbsup:

-DF

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, what ARE you guys, professional photographers?? I'm tickled when I can keep the dang batteries charged up in my point 'n shoot digital! :thumbsup::twothumbs

Karl

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Damien-

I'm very glad to have been of service.

Really great job on the pics!!!! I especially love the way the blue finish turned out in your photo. I feel that my photo skills are adequate for most of my stuff but try as I might, I couldn't quite get close enough to that blue. But geez...yours certainly came up nicely. Sweet!

And the Raw Da never looked so good!

I had to play around a lot in Photoshop... to get even close to what you were able to do in-camera.

I bow to your considerably, superior knowledge of photography.

notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

Dennis
cool.gif

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: Thanks for the compliments. I'm actually embarrassed by the pictures. I'm still really rusty behind the camera and truth be told, am still a fan of film. B&W of course. :)

Karl, sorry I missed your call. I was actually away this weekend, but stole some time to pop on the laptop and log on CPF of course. :laughing:

-DF

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Osprey, your work is drop-dead gorgeous! You clearly have a gift. :bow:

BTW, you guys are actually pretty close (relatively) to me as I'm in northwest NJ, maybe a few hours away. Would be great to check out some of your creations! Wow, that's just amazing.

PF9 takes place up here on Saturday, October 13th, and you're certainly welcome if you'll be around that day. Let me know and I'll provide directions... there's also a PF9 thread in the get-togethers subforum.