3aa magled upgrades

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
what would you guys think of a 3aa magled with an upgraded led?
i loved my stock 3aa mag when i had one, but lent it to a friend forever :mecry:

anyone know how to mod one with the brightest whitest seoul or cree that's out?
if not, can you direct me.
would this light have tons of spill like the stock one does.
it really was a wall of light for a walmart light.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped the Led to an Edixeon KLC8.

Before:

MMLuxIII.jpg

After:

MMKLC820m.jpg

Best regards

_____
Tom

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the Edixeon KLC8.
how would it compare to the seoul q5 i've been planning to have done.

What's a Seoul Q5??? Haha, I still think it's funny how some people still get those mixed up. Do you mean a CreeXRE Q5? CreeXREs usually don't work well with the Mag reflector as many of said because of its narrower light dispersion pattern. Edison Opto's Edixeon KLC8 work similar to a Luxeon just as the Seoul Semiconductor P4 U Bin emitter. Now to abbreviate: The EOEKLC8 and the SSCP4U both use the same Cree's EZ1000 die and therefore are capable of 200+ lumens when driven at 1000mA. Basically your options for a right now are either the SSCP4 or EOEKLC8 emitters that work well in Mags...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beside that, the Edixeon will work without any modification at the reflector while the SSC die is a bit larger and requires a modification for fitting.

Best regards

____
Tom

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beside that, the Edixeon will work without any modification at the reflector while the SSC die is a bit larger and requires a modification for fitting.

Best regards

____
Tom

Modification? Haven't encountered that with any of my modded Mags so far with an SSCP4 that have the PR dropins. Yes, with the Malkoff you have to cut the cam on the reflector...but that goes with the territory with any well heatsinked Mag mod. If you're talking about straight dropins, the Terralux SSCP4 module just screws into the Mag bulb tower. I haven't seen any mass produced KLC8 dropins yet. You either have to mod an MagLED module to swap out the luxeon or go the O-sink route in which case you'd have to cut the reflector cam.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't we talk about the 3AA-Magled?

Best regards

____
Tom

Haha, stupid me.....Sorry I guess I should pay more attention. You are right LJ. I guess I must not have been getting much sleep lately. I appologize to everyone about my mistake...:oops:

So to correct anything I've said: The ONLY option to modify a MINIMAG LED is to swap the emitter out. And in agreeing with LJ, the Edixeon KLC8 would be the most straight forward swap out. ;)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, hugh improvement and easy swap.:)

Focussing like stock. And no more flickering due to improvements of the connection points.
Like an another light.:thumbsup:

Best regards

____
Tom

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
anyone up for doing this mod for me?
if so, how much total incuding upgraded led and return shipping?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the edixeon like a drop in? or a resolder sort of thing?

It's not a drop-in. Removing the LuxIII and cutting the 2 connection legs. Then soldering the legs to the Edixeon and installing with AA-Epoxy to the holder. It's also possible to replace the legs by 2 wires directly to the driver.
Improving the connection points at the driver due to solder blobs at both ends.
I also added a solder blob at the +contact of the LE-housing, for better contact with the batteries.

Best regards

____
Tom

DOOMJESUS

Newly Enlightened
that beamshot is very impressive, it is difficult to resist an upgrade like that but where can we acquire the part? the Edixeon KLC8 i mean...

any more details you can offer would be appreciated Long John, i think i want to try this.
my experience with soldering is mostly audio related but i have done a few creative things and worked with smaller circuitry and i'm ready to learn. i am also jonesing for a brighter flashlight but i don't have a lot of money to throw at it right now...

Nils

Newly Enlightened
Hey, a BUCK convertor wouldn't actually help you since it regulates voltage DOWN.

What you ment is a BOOST regulator. However since the voltage of the 3 AA's is quite close to the optimal voltage for the LED it won't help that much.

Nevertheless I'm going to try a boost regulater on a single lion cell to see what I can get but this is for a cree q5 that needs about 3.9V to achieve 1A.

Don't know about the KL8c but it's foward voltage might actually be a bit lower...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to forget, the Cree's are not binned by their forward voltage, so I measured huge differences from the same batch.
IMO it's not worth changing the driver to gain brightness, since the head of the light isn't big and the heattransfer is weak, beside that, where is the propper heatsink?:devil:

My described mod is worth to improve the stock-light, but a really good performer and reliable light needs much more than that.:whistle:

Best regards

____
Tom

DOOMJESUS

Newly Enlightened
well somehow my question got overlooked here.
can anybody tell me where i can find one of these Edixeon KLC8's?