What is the point of Rebel 80?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did fenix release a Rebel 80? Why would someone "choose" to have a light that is not as efficient and powerful as a Rebel 100? I never understood why.. and its not price, because its not that different to warrent the downfall.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did fenix release a Rebel 80? Why would someone "choose" to have a light that is not as efficient and powerful as a Rebel 100? I never understood why.. and its not price, because its not that different to warrent the downfall.

Oh, but it is price. Look at the price per lumen:

Code:
Part	Price		Price (250)	Lumens/$	Lumens/$ (250)
40	$2.42		$1.61		16.5		24.8
50	$2.97		$1.98		16.8		25.3
70	$3.41		$2.27		20.5		30.8
80	$3.74		$2.49		21.4		32.1
90	$4.95		$3.30		18.2		27.3
100	$6.60		$4.40		15.2		22.7

The -80 part is the most economical part. For those that don't need the absolute most brightness per emitter, but still want to build a large array with the best price/performance ratio, the -80 part is it.

Vickers

Enlightened
In the form factor that I wanted (2 AA), there was the Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80 and the Fenix Digital L2D RB100.

Since I have had my fill of SOS and strobe, I wanted a simple two-stage light.

I give up 35 lumens (140 vs. 175) that I might not even be able to see, plus I save $14.55.

Pretty simple decision for me.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty simple...Fenix wanted a way to price discriminate....maximize profits among both price sensitive and price insensitive buyers. The 100 lumen rebel costs probably ~2 bucks more for them to buy and they sell them for ~8 bucks more. Results in a higher margin for them.

No different than a car manufacturer getting higher margins on specialized engines or Rolex charging a lot more than the value of the gold for a gold watch versus a stainless one

In the end they benefit, and the customer gets what he or she wants

mchlwise

Enlightened
My understanding is that there is/was something of a "shortage" of Rebel 100's. They simply weren't that easy to get a hold of at first, so Fenix threw them in the huge throwers like the P3Ds, and put 80's in the L0Ds, which nobody expects to put out 200 lumens.

Even the lowly Rebel 80 puts out 10 more lumens than the Cree. :grin2:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that there is/was something of a "shortage" of Rebel 100's. They simply weren't that easy to get a hold of at first, so Fenix threw them in the huge throwers like the P3Ds, and put 80's in the L0Ds, which nobody expects to put out 200 lumens.

Even the lowly Rebel 80 puts out 10 more lumens than the Cree. :grin2:

The rebel 100 was available in quantity the day it was released. I ordered 4 and got them 4 days later. They've always been available in large quantities. I've been watching FutureElectronic's stock, and there has always been quantities available since the release day.

mchlwise

Enlightened
The rebel 100 was available in quantity the day it was released. I ordered 4 and got them 4 days later. They've always been available in large quantities. I've been watching FutureElectronic's stock, and there has always been quantities available since the release day.

Don't know why Fenix couldn't get a hold of enough of them, but that's what I heard? :shrug:

Luminescent

Enlightened

I have also had NO problems getting Rebel 100's, just as you pointed out.

I did notice that Future's web site part search feature no longer finds 'Rebel 100'
(when I am sure that's how I initially found the parts on the site).

I can't figure out what the deal is with Future's search feature (unless perhaps they are acting like JERKS and doing this to avoid having to process onesey-twosey orders from hobbyists), but searching by the Lumiled part number has always worked.

Here's the link:

Rebel 100 at Future Electronics

Gee, just as you said, thousands available at only $4.40 in quantity.

I think your earlier price analysis was far too kind to Fenix.

What about the fact that Fenix is willing to screw their customers out of 25% in additional performance (80 + .25*80 = 100), just to shave their own production cost by about 4% of the final retail price of the product, WHEN THE COST OF EMITTERS IS ALREADY LOWER THEN EVER BEFORE.

Years ago, I can remember seeing mass market Dorcy lights with very nice mechanical quality selling for about 30 dollars when the cost of the Luxeon emitter alone was 8 to 10 dollars.

While it's true that this was some time ago, and Dorcy was selling MANY more lights than Fenix and may have gotten a larger discount; then how about the Rebel 100 MTE light DX is selling RIGHT NOW for only 18 dollars?

Clearly, allocating 25 to 30 percent of the final cost of the light to the cost of the emitter is reasonable, but Fenix wants to whine about needing a special 'premium' fee when their cost EVEN FOR THE REBEL 100 would be less than 10% of the final retail cost of the light? GIVE ME A FRIGIN BREAK :thinking:

Call it what you will, but I will call it what I think it is; a scam :shakehead ;a rip-off:broke: ;a con :scowl: ;an insult to our collective intelligence :eek:oo: ;and a FLAT OUT DISGRACE. :mad:

It has certainly caused me to loose a LOT of respect for Fenix. :thumbsdow

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rebel 100 is showing up properly in Fututre's search now. I've noticed their part search system gets 'broken' occasionally, and doesn't find anything. More of a problem with their web store than anything.

LightScene

Enlightened
I have also had NO problems getting Rebel 100's, just as you pointed out.

I did notice that Future's web site part search feature no longer finds 'Rebel 100'
(when I am sure that's how I initially found the parts on the site).

I can't figure out what the deal is with Future's search feature (unless perhaps they are acting like JERKS and doing this to avoid having to process onesey-twosey orders from hobbyists), but searching by the Lumiled part number has always worked.

Here's the link:

Rebel 100 at Future Electronics

Gee, just as you said, thousands available at only $4.40 in quantity.

I think your earlier price analysis was far too kind to Fenix.

What about the fact that Fenix is willing to screw their customers out of 25% in additional performance (80 + .25*80 = 100), just to shave their own production cost by about 4% of the final retail price of the product, WHEN THE COST OF EMITTERS IS ALREADY LOWER THEN EVER BEFORE.

Years ago, I can remember seeing mass market Dorcy lights with very nice mechanical quality selling for about 30 dollars when the cost of the Luxeon emitter alone was 8 to 10 dollars.

While it's true that this was some time ago, and Dorcy was selling MANY more lights than Fenix and may have gotten a larger discount; then how about the Rebel 100 MTE light DX is selling RIGHT NOW for only 18 dollars?

Clearly, allocating 25 to 30 percent of the final cost of the light to the cost of the emitter is reasonable, but Fenix wants to whine about needing a special 'premium' fee when their cost EVEN FOR THE REBEL 100 would be less than 10% of the final retail cost of the light? GIVE ME A FRIGIN BREAK :thinking:

Call it what you will, but I will call it what I think it is; a scam :shakehead ;a rip-off:broke: ;a con :scowl: ;an insult to our collective intelligence :eek:oo: ;and a FLAT OUT DISGRACE. :mad:

It has certainly caused me to loose a LOT of respect for Fenix. :thumbsdow
Fenix are so close to being a great light, but there's always something amiss. And the price gouging really hurts. I'm glad better alternatives have become available recently.

sluflyer06

Newly Enlightened
sorry I'm new to the flashlight scene. When they say things like "sos" and "strobe" mode, does that mean it will not be a constant beam if your going for the highest output? or is it just some bs marketing crap.

I'm trying to decide between the L2T rebel 80 and the L2D Rebel 100, however on the rebel 100 i'd like the 100lumen and 175 mode to be a constant usuable beam. Is that the case?

Sorry for the noobness.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I know very little about Future Electronics and they may indeed have a huge pile of reb 100's. However, while researching the whole LOD reb100 scenario, I've been told by a respected (by cpf members) source that the 100's are difficult to procure and that there is a flood of rebel 80's in the market that have been relabled 100's. If so, that might explain the sudden explosion of chinese "reb 100" lights and fenix's reluctance to go all 100. Is it possible for those of you who have purcased rebel 100 emitters to verify through testing that you actually have 100's and not 80's? I'm not tech savvy enough to know.

edit: Further clarification from the respected one - 100's can be had but in small quantities there's little guarantee on tint - basically a crap shoot. The favored tints must be channeled to the big orders. Minimum order approximately 10,000 units required to guarantee tint. All that said, Fenix was able to procure 100's for their "Premium" lights so it looks like it was a design decision to use 80's only in the LOD.

Last edited:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
sluflyer, since this thread is not about SOS or strobe, I will keep this short. Sos is the morse code for "SOS", and strobe would be like a disco strobe light. Neither of these say anything about high mode and these modes are completely separate from high mode.

sluflyer06

Newly Enlightened
sluflyer, since this thread is not about SOS or strobe, I will keep this short. Sos is the morse code for "SOS", and strobe would be like a disco strobe light. Neither of these say anything about high mode and these modes are completely separate from high mode.

lol, I know what a strobe light and a SOS signal are. That wasn't my question. I'll just start a new thread, thanks though. Sorry for going OT.

Luminescent

Enlightened
I know very little about Future Electronics and they may indeed have a huge pile of reb 100's. However, while researching the whole LOD reb100 scenario, I've been told by a respected (by cpf members) source that the 100's are difficult to procure and that there is a flood of rebel 80's in the market that have been relabled 100's. If so, that might explain the sudden explosion of chinese "reb 100" lights and fenix's reluctance to go all 100. Is it possible for those of you who have purcased rebel 100 emitters to verify through testing that you actually have 100's and not 80's? I'm not tech savvy enough to know.

edit: Further clarification from the respected one - 100's can be had but in small quantities there's little guarantee on tint - basically a crap shoot. The favored tints must be channeled to the big orders. Minimum order approximately 10,000 units required to guarantee tint. All that said, Fenix was able to procure 100's for their "Premium" lights so it looks like it was a design decision to use 80's only in the LOD.

Hi Shakey,
Future Electronics is not just a dealer they are THE dealer[listed as the exclusive Lumiled distributor]. When you click on a direct-buy link at the Lumiled site, it sends you right over to Future. Not sure if Future's agreement with Lumiled only holds for the U.S. or if it is worldwide, but there is no doubt that most if not all of the Rebels out there were purchased from Future.

Future is a REAL electronics distributor, the kind used to supply parts by the thousands not only for large consumer electronics applications, but for Aerospace, Medical and other critical applications.

As far as the color binning goes, it is correct that you have to order a full reel of parts or more to start talking about specifying your color BIN. On small quantity orders you do have to take pot luck on the color BIN, but they are set up for lot tracking and do provide the lot and color BIN info for every order, so you know what you are getting [and what I have been getting has been VERY GOOD on color]

As far as availability goes, I have run into issues with searching for the exact text 'Rebel 100' on Future's web store, but anyone smart enough to pound sand, will figure out, as I did, that you just need to search by the Rebel 100 part number, and BINGO!, there they are every time!

I have been checking every few weeks and the inventories have gone up and down, but I haven't seen them completely out of stock (I thought they were at one point, but that was just the above search issue).

So in simple terms you have been given half truths.

1. If you order Rebel-100's from Future you GET Rebel-100's
2. They are NOT hard to get, you just have to be willing to PAY for them.
3. The color bins I have gotten have all been very nice, and the color bins reported by others also seem to be very good.

Sure there are going to be color BIN variations [that's why they have color bins in the first place] but with the Rebels the binning seems to run from neutral to slightly warm, where with the CREE's it has run from neutral to crap-blue.

In any case, with all or nearly all Rebel-100's getting reports that are very complementary about the color, it would be the height of hypocrisy for Fenix to use this as an excuse. My 15 dollar KaiDomain CREE has color about 50 times better than one of my friends Fenix 'CREE edition' wonders, so since when did Fenix become the holy color guardians of the universe?

I have no doubt that your source told you that you have to order 10's of thousands of Rebels to get the terms you want about price, color binning, etc. because that always been the case for any part from any distributor.

Here's an interesting thought. Given that you have to order these huge quantities of a specific part to get the terms you want, why would Fenix double it's problems in this regard by trying to split it's big order between two types.

Answer? You wouldn't, you would standardize on ONE type.

You were the one Shakey that told me that the official Fenix story was that there wasn't all that much difference between Rebel 80's and Rebel 100's and I told you that this was hogwash, a rebel 100 would be a 25% boost from a Rebel 80 (80 * 1.25 = 100).

- But maybe you were right after all, because maybe Fenix knows something that we don't.

What if, say, you want to get a better deal by making one large order instead of a bunch of smaller orders.

Suddenly you have a brainstorm! :thinking:

Rebel 90's near the top of their power bin are almost Rebel 100's! :naughty:

Rebel 90's near the bottom of their power bin are almost Rebel 80's! :naughty:

And they aren't even marked, so who can even tell the difference! :whistle:

If you only take the top few percent of the Rebel 90's and call them Rebel 100's, you would only be ripping them off a little bit. :devil:

Of course that would mean you could only have a very limited number of "premium 100's" (Gee, who do we know that is claiming that they have only VERY limited supplies of 'premium 100' emitters, when clearly you can buy all the REAL Rebel-100's you want?).

Of course this is all Bull$#IT, we don't even know that Fenix has ever ordered any Rebel 90's do we?

:oops: I guess we do . . .

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2146348&postcount=61

I have no doubt that some of the DX lights out there labeled Rebel 100 could be Rebel 80's. On the other hand, in fairness to DX, some here on CPF have reported that those cheap 18 dollar lights are brighter than ANY of their Fenix CREE lights, so who knows?

In any case, I can't really say what's happening one way or the other, but if I were you, based on the above comments by 4sevens, it would not be DX I would be worrying about playing games, it would be Fenix.

Last edited:

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I think there are some good points being made in this thread about pricing of Rebels etc. At the current time, if a light was going to be built right now, there doesn't seem to be a need for Rebel 80s.

What I don't understand is all of the ire related to this issue, that somehow Fenix owes us the exact reason behind their pricing. Fenix may be charging more for the Rebel 100 lights to make more profit. Fenix may have been stuck with a lot of Rebel 80 LEDs because they didn't realize the 100 would come out in volume so quickly. Who knows? Most pricing doesn't relate to the cost to manufacture. Why is a Novatac 120P much more than an 85P, to name a recent example? ....

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Thanks Luminescent for the info about Future Electronics.
Regarding the LOD 80 v 100 thing, having contemplated all the various scenarios, I'm baffled. You saw the beam shots and know how much I think of the reb 100 version. It performs beautifully. So I too am a bit twisted about why no production version. Yet I find it hard to throw much animus Fenix' way.

I know as much about Fenix' inner workings as I do Future's, but I assume a good portion of Fenix' sales are driven here on cpf. They understand how members feel about cutting edge, and they have generally been one of the most responsive companies in that regard. I have to think they invested heavily in 80's before the 100's came out and needed to find a use for them once the 100's appeared. Price differentiation (premium vs regular) would have been one obvious way, and offering a popular light like the LOD only in reb 80 might have been another, with the justification that a light of that size didn't warrant the extra 20% output. You and I know that a premium LOD 100 would make cpfer's happy, but then what to do with all those languishing 80's?

I'm stretching to give Fenix the benefit of the doubt. Technology is moving so fast I can only imagine how precarious it is for a business to design and release cutting edge products in quantity. Look how long surefire and mag waited to "evolve". And let's face it, as Fenix grows, they may be less inclined to move as quickly when technology evolves. At some point business decisions usually override passion.

Perhaps with one exception. Two of the coolest lights I own, the P3D Q2 natural and the LOD reb 100 naturals, resulted from the passion of Pro Light Japan's proprietor who risked his own money to have those lights built. Thanks Chiharu:twothumbs