What comparable light will out throw a Tiablo A8 Q5

PayBack

Enlightened
Whether he knows it or not, Nitro has pretty much convinced me to get a Tiablo A8. Well Nitro plus a thread from someone in Sweden (I think) showing long range beamshots.

However before parting with my *cough* hard earned, cash, I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas of something better.

Now yes a HID will out throw an A8 and thanks to you CPFers I have a couple of them too... but I'm looking for something as a backup that will fit on my belt. I'm also after something in the same price range as an A8.

So it should use one or two 18650's or even up to 2C size but preferably lighter than a 2C mag with Aspherical lens (yes I know someone was going to mention them :D). Run time of 45 minutes plus on replaceable batteries (so I can have spare bats giving me 90 Mins). My Ultrafire WF-500 comes close but the OP reflector knocks it out of the running, however it gives a good upper limit for size and weight.

The A9 will out throw the A8 I believe but not after about 20 mins on 18650s which is my preferred battery as I have 4 already.

If you know of something better and don't mind, let me know. Or if a better A8 is a week away ;)) Otherwise I'll just add an A8 Q5 to my collection, and I don't think I'll be disappointed. :)

Cheers,

PB.

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whether he knows it or not, Nitro has pretty much convinced me to get a Tiablo A8. Well Nitro plus a thread from someone in Sweden (I think) showing long range beamshots.

However before parting with my *cough* hard earned, cash, I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas of something better.

Now yes a HID will out throw an A8 and thanks to you CPFers I have a couple of them too... but I'm looking for something as a backup that will fit on my belt. I'm also after something in the same price range as an A8.

So it should use one or two 18650's or even up to 2C size but preferably lighter than a 2C mag with Aspherical lens (yes I know someone was going to mention them :D). Run time of 45 minutes plus on replaceable batteries (so I can have spare bats giving me 90 Mins). My Ultrafire WF-500 comes close but the OP reflector knocks it out of the running, however it gives a good upper limit for size and weight.

The A9 will out throw the A8 I believe but not after about 20 mins on 18650s which is my preferred battery as I have 4 already.

If you know of something better and don't mind, let me know. Or if a better A8 is a week away ;)) Otherwise I'll just add an A8 Q5 to my collection, and I don't think I'll be disappointed. :)

Cheers,

PB.

Actually Stefan sold me on his Tiablo modded with a Q5. I just waited until Tiablo caught up, which didn't take very long.

I'm sure others will weigh in also, but I believe the Tiablo A8 Q5 is the longest throwing LED (besides Aspheric) available today. The next closest is the MRV, but because of Tiablo's deeper reflector to wins in throw. However that will change in the future when higher bins become available.

The reason I got the Tiablo was because the deep reflector and form factor. I wanted maximum throw in the smallest package. And when new bins come out in the future, I'll just replace the old ones.

The only issue I have with the light (so far) is the driver is only sending ~1 Amp to the emitter. It would be nice if it was running more like 1.2A. But hey, if I want more current, I'll just swap out the driver too.

But like you I thought, "I'll just add an A8 Q5 to my collection, and I don't think I'll be disappointed." BTW, I also ordered the new MRV SE with Q5 to compare the two. Who knows, I may use it as a backup to my Tiablo.

PayBack

Enlightened
"longest throwing LED". Does that mean there are incans of similar size/cost/runtime that will out throw it? From the beamshots I've seen I'm guessing not even incans will?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
"longest throwing LED". Does that mean there are incans of similar size/cost/runtime that will out throw it? From the beamshots I've seen I'm guessing not even incans will?

Maybe not in the same size. Definitely not the same Runtime. I'd say the TL-3 is one of the longest throwing incans in that size. If the TL-3's bulb is upgraded to the H1499 it is brighter. I'm still waiting on that bulb, so when I get it, I can compare. However, the TL-3 has about ~50min runtime, which is knocked down to ~30min with the H1499. Much less then the A8.

If you go up to a 2C, you can throw a Potted H1499 in a M@g 2C, with AW's C cells. That will (I'm sure) out throw the A8 Q5. Then there's the ROP, which is much brighter then the A8 with ~60min runtime.

Bottom line is, you're not going to get any light that throws as far, or is as bright in the size and runtime as the A8 Q5, today.

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
The soon to be released Dereelight DBS looks like a strong contender, with a very deep reflector.

It will be intersting to see how that one performs. I'm not sure I want to buy another light though. I just pre-ordered the MRV LE.

PayBack

Enlightened
Damn now I can't find the Q5 versions anymore. I'm sure I knew where to find them last week.

And yes I've decided to give the psycologists more ammo and buy yet another light I don't need. I'll grab a Q5 A8 once I find out how to get one :D

PayBack

Enlightened
That would be the one! Cheers.

ARGH no smooth bezel. And of course no black so you can't use the smooth bezel from the standard one :( That might be a show stopper. I hate crenellated bezels.

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
The FM Axial is longer but slender - about the same weight as the Tiablo - it does not have the runtime but it does have as much throw, is brighter with a lot more spill beam and has a nice "incan" full-color spectrum.:D Recommended!

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I just got an A9S, and it is incredible. I have a 2D Maglite modded with a DHS heatsink and a SX0H Lux I emitter. The Mag draws nearly 1A from a 18650 cell and does a reasonable job of illuminating a palm tree 200 feet from my apartment. Surpisingly, the A9S on low, 60 lumens, also illuminates the tree, though not nearly as well. But with the A9S on high, 250 lumens, it blows the Maglite away. It is wonderful light, I am very impressed with it.

As for runtime, the A9S is rated for 3.5 hours on high with a 18650 cell. In another thread, GilmoreD reported he got 4 hours of runtime on high with a 18650 cell. That should cover your 90 minute requirement.

I almost bought an A8, figuring I wouldn't mind the 210 lumen rating vs. the A9's 250, and save $30 as well. But when I saw the runtime difference, 2 hours vs. 3.5, that cinched it for the A9S.

I haven't done a runtime test myself, but the current draw, on high, with a 18650 cell at 3.8 volts is 676ma - I don't know how they do it, simply amazing.

Last edited:

PayBack

Enlightened
Evil, I thought the same thing too when I read the runtime of the A9 but doesn't the brightness drop considerably in less than an hour? IIRC from a runtime chart I saw the reason I didn't consider the A9 was half the longer runtime on 18650s was at less than 60% brightness.

Martonic, I'll have a look for some info on it, thanks :) EDIT so the FM Axial is a bulb and not a complete light?

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
EvilLithiumMan, I am not doubting the reading of 676mA's current draw, but was that current at the tailcap, or current at the led? If current at the tailcap, or led, with an 18650, then that reading is too low, and might indicate that the A9S is running in direct drive at 3.8 volts. Try that reading, if a tailcap reading, again with a fully charged 18650, it should be higher, though an 18650 will not stay in regulation for any length of time with the A9S, looking at the runtime plot. Take that reading with two RCR123's and the reading will be fairly low, but the light will be in better regulation.

See this review of the A9S. Scroll down to runtime graphs. http://www.lightreviews.info/tiablo_a9s/review.html

Bill

mdocod

Flashaholic
How about a leefbody 2x18650 and a SF turbohead driving a MN16 or LF EO-M3T. Should be about double the overall output, As I understand, the ~2.5" SF turbos are pretty tight but smooth throwers. Only problem there, is price, a 2xAW-C li-ion ROP in a mag 2C+extender would be nice IMO.

Patriot

Flashaholic
How about a leefbody 2x18650 and a SF turbohead driving a MN16 or LF EO-M3T. Should be about double the overall output, As I understand, the ~2.5" SF turbos are pretty tight but smooth throwers. Only problem there, is price, a 2xAW-C li-ion ROP in a mag 2C+extender would be nice IMO.

I'll bet that your right about the ROP. I think that a smooth reflector might just beat the Tiablo. It would be neat to see a comparison although some might not agree that it's comparably sized.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet that your right about the ROP. I think that a smooth reflector might just beat the Tiablo. It would be neat to see a comparison although some might not agree that it's comparably sized.

The ROP HI 2C will out throw the A8 Q5. Check out this thread for LUX comparisons.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for that excellent link Nitro. When you get around to some beamshots, I'd love to see those to lights compared :) Nice work.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that excellent link Nitro. When you get around to some beamshots, I'd love to see those to lights compared :) Nice work.

I'm waiting on the MRV SE to come in the next few days. I'll then do some beamshots.

PayBack

Enlightened

I'm actually just after something off the shelf. Not only do I not have a lot of time for finding bits and puting them together, I'm also a lazy mofo :D

But thanks for the info anyway.